Looking at either a FNX-45 or a S&W M&P 45 opinions on either

Both are great guns and were proven in the military test. The only real difference is that the FNP-45 is a HUGE gun. The M&P45 is realatively small feeling for a full size gun. It has a very similar feel to the M&P9/40, which was surprising.

There is no such thing as an fnx45. Brief history lesson - FN developed the fn line of pistols (fnp9/357/40). They then developed the FNP-45 which although still labeled FNP, was pretty much a completely different gun. The new FNX line is based off the changed they made from the fnp9/357/40s to the fnp 45. In a nutshell, the FNX line is an fnp45 but for 9mm and 40s&w.

hammer fired vs striker fired

14+1 rounds w/ optional extended baseplates vs 10+1 rounds

3 mags included vs 2 mags included? (tbh I am not 100% certain how many mags come with the s&w)

If you are just comparing basic models, I would probably go with the m&p, but I do have a fancy for the fnp45 tactical. The tactical comes with extended mags, a pretty cool canvas pistol case/range bag that is modular so you can customize it, threaded barrel, and raised nights sights (so that they see over the supressor you mount). It also comes with a pre-tapped slide for mounting a red dot.

Figure out your intended use and that will help you pick out which gun to get. Both are good shooters, but the FNP45 is a BIG gun.

Guest bkelm18

I've never shot or handled the FN, but the M&P45 is an excellent weapon. Drop in some Apex Tactical internals and it turns it into a dream, as with any M&P.

My FNP 45 spits out anything that I feed it. I am not a BIG man and do not have BIG hands but I shoot it very well and it is comfortable to me. It is slightly larger than a full sized Glock of the same caliber in my opinion. I have no experience with the M&P, but I am sure it is a fine weapon. If it is for home defense and size is not an issue, they are both reliable weapons, go out and handle both of them before you decide.

My FNP 45 spits out anything that I feed it. I am not a BIG man and do not have BIG hands but I shoot it very well and it is comfortable to me. It is slightly larger than a full sized Glock of the same caliber in my opinion. I have no experience with the M&P, but I am sure it is a fine weapon. If it is for home defense and size is not an issue, they are both reliable weapons, go out and handle both of them before you decide.

I don't mean desert eagle big, my purpose of BIG is that your average person probably doesn't want to or couldn't conceal carry it.

To the OP - if for home defense, either would be a fine choice. You will get larger magazine capacity with the FN, and if you go with the tactical version you have the threaded barrel ready for a suppresor, and night sights standard - assuming those are things you would like. The m&p will probably have a little less felt recoil due to the lower bore axis, but the fnp45 is an easy shooter as well. I suggest trying to hold one of each just to see which feels better in hand. The m&p should be easy to find in local shops, the fnp45 not so much. I know bill's outpost in Farragut had a trade in for a FDE framed fnp45 in their case, at least when I was there on Saturday. I believe bass pro shop generally stocks FN pistols as well, so they probably have an fnp45. It would at least be worth giving them a call before driving over.

Just did a search on Gun Genie.....no M&P's in my area but plenty of FN's, but the S&W is over $100 cheaper than the FN (MSRP wise).......

The extra $100 is for the advantage of higher capacity magazines..:biglol:

I don't think it is just the extra capacity mags. You also get one more mag, as well as a longer barrel. Ultimately it is your choice, but I think the price is comparable based on the differences between what you get.

I have had two FNP-45s. The first had no issues, but I traded it away. The second had a return to battery issue, which FN gave me a new pistol in return. I wound up selling that one recently. For some reason I still have a hankering to get another.

As for size, the FN is a big gun but not unwieldy. It shoots well, is very accurate, but is not for concealment. I have no experience with the M&P, but have held one. The FN felt better in my hand.

Guest snatch38388

Shot both the fnp by far the recoil on the s&w irritates my trigger finger the glock design is not as good as the glock original the fnp is a sweet shooting gun. Check your mags though some round nose will get stuck about 4 rounds down the mag Winn white box and Tula on mine. I just traded mine but it will soon be replaced with the tactical

Model.

S@W is extremely resistant to corrosion. The slide and barrel are stainless. There are not much openings in a gun to let corrosive substance in. If you are in performance sports, be aware that human sweat can ruin a gun almost like salt spray. S&W is one of a few weapons that survive contact with the sweat.

• Like 1
Guest bkelm18
Shot both the fnp by far the recoil on the s&w irritates my trigger finger the glock design is not as good as the glock original the fnp is a sweet shooting gun.

To each their own. I own and carry both a Glock and an M&P, and IMO the M&P is the better gun. Better ergos and a trigger that is lightyears better than the Glock's.

I would go with the FN. I bought one when they first came out a few years ago and I love it. I have shot every kind of ammo I can find through it and it has fed everything. I haven't cleaned it in over 850 rounds. I'm not going to clean it until it starts messing up. I just got in some night sights for it and I'm going to stick those on tomorrow. Other than that it is a factory stock gun.

The FN is a big gun no doubt. But the grip isnt as big as the Glock 20/21. I have little girl hands and the Glock is too big for my hands, but the FN fits fine. I am looking to buy another one in the not so distant future.