Ankle Holsters?

So due to the weather changing and other work related restrictions, I am tinkering with the thought of carrying my Sig P238 in an ankle holster. Those of you who use an ankle holster, pro's/con's, yeah/nay...etc? Wanted to get some opinions b4 making a purchase.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear a lot of negative comments in regards to ankle carry but I don't have any experience with it. The most common thing I hear is that if you get a cheap holster you will regret it. I've read a few stories about guys having their pistols fly out and go sliding across the ground. Make sure you get a quality holster.

I ankle carry occasionally, but usually as a last resort or backup. As stated above, buy a good holster. The Galco Ankle Glove is probably the easiest to find. I would recommend active retention on your Sig (thumb strap). Also, it takes a lot of practice to be able to effectively draw from an ankle holster.

Just like most methods of carry, it has its benefits and downfalls.

I tried ankle carry with a KelTec PF9 and hated it. It was a cheap holster, but I guess my pants are cut wrong or I should wear shoes instead of boots, but it was always tight against my pants, I couldn't have gotten to it no matter what. It couldn't have fallen out either, just too freaking tight for any kind of manageable use. Maybe I got big calves. Just wasn't for me.

I carry either my Smith 442 or SP101 in a DeSantis Apache as a BUG, and when I can't carry on the hip or in the pocket, it serves as my primary, but that's rare. Ankle carry takes a little getting used to, and it's not for everyone, but I find it very comfortable. I hear lots of good things about the Renegade ankle rigs too.

I used one for several years while I was a street cop to carry my J frame Smith. I actually used an Uncle Mike's, which is a pretty cheap holster. The reason I used it was that it would easily fit over the boots I wore on duty. The holster served me well for many years. When I was not wearing boots, I typically would carry it in a Gould & Goodrich ankle holster that was patterned after the Galco Ankle Glove. The reason I chose an ankle holster is that it was handy to get to sitting in the patrol car, and I felt it was the most practical way to access the firearm if I needed it in a tense situation if my primary duty gun failed.

The issue related to ankle carry is being able to gain quick access to the firearm. You need to wear pants that are easy to pull up over the holster and that have a cuff wide enough to clear the grip. My lightweight polyester uniform pants fit that description. The jeans I wear don't. Also, if you choose that mode of carry, you must practice drawing until you are proficient at dropping to a knee, pulling your pant leg up and accessing the firearm. This also means that you will likely be shooting from the knee, so you need to practice that as well. I prefer pocket carry over ankle carry in most situations.

When I bought my 642 from TGO member SeaSlug the sale included the Galco Ankle Glove. I had previously carried a Kel-Tec P3AT and Ruger LCP in an Uncle Mikes with some success, but I have found the Galco to be a much more secure holster than the Uncle Mikes. My experience is very similar to everyone who posted above, it's better than not carrying at all, and it takes some getting used to having the extra weight on one leg. That being said, it is very handy if you're driving or seated for extended periods of time. I prefer pocket carry, but I'd actually say that ankle carry has become a close second choice. I also agree with the previous poster who recommended a retention strap for the P238, but that's because I'm assuming you will be carrying in condition one.

I’ve used ankle holsters off on for over 20 years for BUG and ODC; while not an idea means of carry they are an option. Your bodies build; clothing, footwear and overall fitness will have a lot to do with how well such a carry system works for you. Off the holster’s I’ve purchased those from Kramer have been sturdiest.

Ankle holsters really don’t conceal all that well and tactically speaking need prior planning, practice and level headedness to use effectively. I knew one individual who had a tailor alter his pants inseam to use Velcro to facilitate accessing the weapon. He also trained extensively in order to become competent with this carry mode.

Well, as I never wear long pants, it's out for me.

IMO though, I'd have to say it's one of the worst ways to carry. Retrieval is slow and clumsy. If you need it fast in a pinch....well ya'll are smart enough to know what I'm saying. Also think of as many scenarios as you can. What if you need to get to it not only on the quick, but discreetly? A BG will see you lift a leg or crouching down. I say this for Caster only, but hip carry is the only reasonable option.

Stick your cell phone in your sock then go out and run some errands. That should tell you whether or not you want to consider ankle carry.

I bet most of us wish our BUG's were as light as cell phones. Lol.

A light set of ankle weights with all the weights on one side of the ankel might be a better example.

Borrow a good ankle holster from a buddy and try it for a few days. You might find your blue jeans wont fit the bill anymore unless you wear boot cuts. Suit pants are in,docker's,slacks etc.

Pants need to be long so when you sit the holster wont show so wearing floods are out.

I'd make sure a thumb strap is used also and you buy the correct holster for your pistol. Its very embarrassing when your gun falls out on the floor when you run,jump or trott. My partner got into a light skuffle with a punk and his BUG fell onto the floor. Lucky the store manager was there to retreive it and not the punks friend !

Good luck with your choice of back up carry.