Armadillos

Well, while sitting in my deer stand this morning, I had a family of 5 "Possum's on the half shell" milling around the leaves under my stand.This is the first time ever of seeing armadillos in the wild. What a cool experience. I watched them feeding for about 15 minutes, then they went on down in a hole in the ground. Kewl deal!!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they are working, or rather breeding their way east. I've seen them in Centerville/Hickman County. Another ten years they'll be in Wilson Co.. :drunk:

Won't take that long. I used to run a route on South 65 between Nashville and Columbia, and saw them pretty frequently. And that's been over three years ago.

They don't die easy. When I lived in Florida, my buddy and I went on a 'diller killing spree on his hunting property. I shot the first one with a .22mag rifle. It shot up in the air about 3 feet and ran off. Then next one I shot 3 times with a .22LR with Velcoitors and it ran off. The next one I shot with a .357 revolver and it ran off. We shot another with a .44mag and it ran off. The first one that we shot and it didn't run off was with a 12ga with turkey loads. Be warned that they are nasty little suckers and are known to carry awful diseases. Don't touch them.

They will jump and run at you when cornered too. Scared the heck out of me. I jumped and squealed like a little girl.

Yeah, dillos need to be killed. They have no natural predators to keep them in check, they devastate crops, and they're the only mammal other then humans capable of transmitting leprosy. They're also faster then you think. One was outside my Blockbuster diggin through the trash when we were leavin', scampered off as soon as we came out. I was surprised it could move like it did.

I shot this one with a 243 100 grain soft point at around 30 to 40 yards or so.

DSCN0668.jpg

See! That thing is just barely dead. It might run off at any second...

You can cook and eat them. We killed a bunch for a church cookout one year. I didn't eat there and I didn't drink the Kool-Aid either...

We have been eating Armadillo burgers in Lower Alabama for years. All you need is someone stupid enough to clean one, then grind up the meat with some hamburger and you have Armadillo Burgers. Tastes a lot like Opossum Burgers.

Hoover Hogs gentlemen. They say they were actually as hard to find as other game during the 30's, almost hunted out.

- OS