Smart A** local gunshop

.............................................................................................................................

Honestly I cannot fathom why a company would ... keep on like this? I mean, all that was really necessary was a "That was an email that was sent by an employee that had no business doing so and apparently was having a bad day, and we apologize." but really? To go on for as many posts effectively talking down to people? We're not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but this is just silly.

It is shops like yours, sir, that give all gun shops a bad name and drive sells to online vendors rather than their friendly local store. Whatever backlash you receive from this, known or unbeknownst to you, is well deserved.

• Like 1
Mr. Kong,

Seems like that list could simply be a copy and paste from the phone book. But seriously though, was your experience with my staff an unpleasant one as well? Feel free to forward me any details if there is something you would like to share with me regarding you experience with our customer service.

I think, unfortunately, that you're missing the point. I don't have any details because I haven't been to your shop. Honestly I didn't know your shop was even there. I am, however, a gun enthusiast and someone who likes to look at and buy shiny things. If Dolomite (or anyone else that I know and respect) had posted a raving review of your shop and your service you can bet I would have found a reason to make my way to Seymour and into your shop. Now I have no reason and no inclination to go out of my way. If I want crappy customer service and smart-ass employees I can always go to Coal Creek. They're right down the street.

Man, I live in the wrong section of Tennessee. Yall have way to much fun over there.

All he had to say was "I am sorry. That was dumb. i was having a bad day and took it out on you." But no, gotta be a tool.

Oh, and DOLOMITE FOR PRESIDENT!!!

• Admin Team

Jeremy,

Congratulations. You were the 12,941 person to join TGO. That means there were 12,940 people before you to join this site, and there have been a few since. 95% of these gun enthusiasts who actually like guns enough to join a forum dedicated to them live in Tennessee, meaning they are in a position to potentially purchase your products. If you look at our list of supporting vendors and query them, you'll find that TGO is a very supportive group. I personally go out of my way on a regular basis to purchase things from them when I know I could likely find it a little cheaper elsewhere online.

If you'll look below Dolomite's name in one of his posts, you'll see the words "Subject Matter Expert". To be clear, he's not a moderator because we don't want our SMEs having to deal with the day-to-day administrative issues that threads like this one eventually cause. Rather, he is one of several voices on this site that we want to float to the top. That's because he knows his stuff, has earned the respect that he has on this site and is more than willing to freely share his knowledge.

I expect if we took a poll of how many people on this site he has helped either on the phone or in person, often on his own dime just because he likes to help, the thread would go at least as long as this one has.

So, when Gordon posted this thread, it wasn't some random guy on the Internet anonymously bad mouthing a shop. It was an important member of our community who was rightfully outraged by a flippant email response to a legitimate question. Your continued intransigence shows clearly that his indignation was well founded and rightfully placed.

As a small business owner who knows what it takes to make it, much less thrive in this economy, I'm truly dumbfounded by this thread. But do realize what you're doing here. We've got plenty of examples of great shops in this state with great customer service (not that we couldn't always use a few more). I'm thankful that Gordon pointed out your poor example so that I don't need to waste my time or money.

Good luck.

Guest lostpass
Greetings. I have had the pleasure of reading the first 4 or so pages of chatter revolving around an email response from my shop. I hesitated for about a half second before deciding to respond to what appears to be an already closed trial of our shop, staff, and customer service. Then I decided I would indeed take the time to clarify the issue and dispel any misleading comments that we are hateful, arrogant monsters here at Precision Firearms. I will begin with a paste of the entire original email so that everyone can start with a full picture (that's only fair Mr. Dolomite). Then I will attempt to scroll back through the above posts and answer each one accordingly, as time allows. Finally, I will challenge any of you who claim to have had a poor experience with our shop or staff to contact me directly with your issue in an attempt to work it out (something you did not do Mr. Dolomite).The bottom line is that all of us here at Precision Firearms strive to take good care of our customers. Any one of you who have visited us can attest to that fact.

Jeremy S. Goodwin

President

Precision Firearms, Inc

From: Precision Firearms, Inc. [mailto:websales@precisionfirearmsinc.com]

Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2011 9:07 AM

To:

Subject: RE: ARMSLIST: Message to seller at 11/12/2011 7:34:45 AM

Dear Sir or Madame,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the Bushmaster BA50 we have listed on ArmsList. We have carefully reviewed your inquiry and believe we have an answer that may be of some benefit to you. We feel that one of the following three scenarios exist and have provided a respective solution to each:

Scenario One:

You’re bored.

Solution: We recommend that you try surfing websites such as YouTube, Facebook, or break.com

Scenario Two:

You are genuinely uneducated in variable markets, competitive price-points, free market strategies, etc…

Solution: There is no solution, or hope, for you. Crawl back in bed, cover yourself with your blanket and wait patiently for the rapture.

Scenario Three:

Your inquiry was an honest one and your intent was not to instigate but rather to sincerely learn why some things cost more at certain places and less at others.

Solution: This one stumped us for about three minutes. We could take the time to educate you on market fluctuations and competitive strategies, but we fear that you would immediately follow up with a question such as ‘Why is the sky blue’, or worse yet ‘Where do babies come from’. Therefore we must refer you to solution number two and offer a prayer for you.

We truly hope that this has been of some help and we wish you well.

Respectfully,

From: sender@smtp1.armslist.com [mailto:sender@smtp1.armslist.com] On Behalf Of reply

Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2011 7:35 AM

To: jgoodwin@precisionfirearmsinc.com

Subject: ARMSLIST: Message to seller at 11/12/2011 7:34:45 AM

Message from , hit 'reply' to reply to the original sender.

Message regarding post 'Bushmaster BA50 30" 10rnd 50BMG w/bi-pod'

REMEMBER: Avoid scams by dealing locally and NEVER send money orders, cashiers checks, or wire money to sellers.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/60/products_id/52780

Why is yours $3999 plus shipping and the one linked is $3852 shipped? Is there something extra that comes with the one you are selling?

I have ordered from Bud's on sevearl occassions and there are no hidden fees.This message sent from replyrequested@armslist.com on behalf of . Copyright Armslist LLC 2011.

Nice, unbiased reporting there Dolomite. When both sides tell the same story the is some clarity.

But I'm will to give precision arms some benefit of the doubt. Those guys are in the gun selling business not the answering an e-mail rationally business. Obviously, if someone asks about the price then the assumption is that that is their only buying criteria. No sale=no patience.

So, assuming that Precision Arms is just bad with e-mail and doesn't get that every question is an opportunity let's try to recreate the discussion how it might have gone:

Dolomite Superfly:

Why is yours $3999 plus shipping and the other one is $3582, inclusive?

Precision Arms:

Thanks for the note Mr. Superfly. Loved your work back in the 80's (got in a joke cause that seems to be important to you guys).

The "extra" that comes with a purchase from Precision Arms is customer service. Our business model doesn't revolve around high volume, our business revolves around satisfied customers. When you are investing thousands in a firearm you'll find personal service to be invaluable if, unfortunately, you have problems with your purchase.

If you were to have issues with your purchase I assure you that Precision Arms would do everything possible to resolve the issue with the manufacturer. That is service you won't get from any mass retailer of firearms and service you won't get from most shops.

End letter

One could argue that the response was really honest since it boils down to: because we'll think we'll get it and we're trying to make as much dough as we can.

Which is fine, but once you go down that road you've just started competing only on price and that is a battle you are going to lose. You know how many online gun sellers can have the lowest prices? One. Sure, you might be able to unload popular guns but in the long run that really hurts the business. You've just told the customer if you can get it cheaper elsewhere you should because all you care about is the profit. You had an opening to tell a customer about why you're stuff is worth more and you told him to go pound sand.

You get an F-- for public relations. IT's okay, most all gun shops suck at this. But you can do way better. Three rules:

1. Better to best than cheapest

2. If people are complaining about your price your service isn't good enough

3. Profits aren't the goal of your company, profits are the result.

If you're Wal Mart or Home depot the equation is changed, but those are rules to live by for a small business.

Only in the gun industry could this level of C.S be accepted.

Fortunately some new business people in Chattanooga have seen the light and opened some good shops in the past couple of years and I don't have to deal with crap like this when I am looking to drop a load of cash at someone's place of business.

I hope I am wrong, but I thought they were closed for hunting season?

If not, it would be a great chance to go play with my new 10/22.

Closed Nov 19-27 only.

They were also closed for week back during last of Sept - Oct.

They close (only) these two weeks every year.

- OS

What I don't think you understand is how highly regarded Dolomite is here. He is a friend to all. And if you wronged him, you have wronged us all. I have no need to visit your store your response to him is sufficient enough for me. I still see no apologies for an absolutely uncalled for response to his email

+1

I'll admit, I'm one of the biggest shopping whores out there. I do thorough research and shop around a lot, however I do try to keep my money locally if possible. Here's a good example. I have found a certain scope that I want. Store X in Kentucky has it for $896.00. I went to shop Y in TN today (not a TGO supporter). They have $1150 on the sticker. I ask if they will match the price they counter at $1100 and won't budge. I would gladly whip out the extra cheddar for shop Y if I could count on customer service and good pricing, however with prices at full retail I know the latter will never happen and the 1st criteria isn't good enough to warrant the extra money.

End of the story I walk out with cash in my pocket and will buy from shop X....What am I getting at? Well, in today's economy if you aren't big enough to compete with price you better be able to offer the level of customer service to make people want to spend their hard earned money with you even if your price isn't the best. That takes sweat, time, diligence, and a lot of work. I know it's frustrating, but the very last thing you do is allow an employee to send an email out like you did. If I sent one of my customers an email like that I would be in the unemployment line first thing in the morning. My company is never the cheapest in our industry, and I mean never...lol, however we are #1 by a huge margin...how? CUSTOMER SERVICE plain and simple.

And then you come onto to TGO and argue with the likes of Dolomite...tisk tisk...Everyone on here knows who the star players are around here who have earned their respect through the years. That may not mean much to some but it does to me.

A big thanks to all the TGO supporting vendors! I have visited most of them and have had a good experience with all.

Edited by Kenstaroni
+1

I'll admit, I'm one of the biggest shopping whores out there. I do thorough research and shop around a lot, however I do try to keep my money locally if possible. Here's a good example. I have found a certain scope that I want. Store X in Kentucky has it for $896.00. I went to shop Y in TN today (not a TGO supporter). They have $1150 on the sticker. I ask if they will match the price they counter at $1100 and won't budge. I would gladly whip out the extra cheddar for shop Y if I could count on customer service and good pricing, however with prices at full retail I know the latter will never happen and the 1st criteria isn't good enough to warrant the extra money.

End of the story I walk out with cash in my pocket and will buy from shop X....What am I getting at? Well, in today's economy if you aren't big enough to compete with price you better be able to offer the level of customer service to make people want to spend their hard earned money with you even if your price isn't the best. That takes sweat, time, diligence, and a lot of work. I know it's frustrating, but the very last thing you do is allow an employee to send an email out like you did. If I sent one of my customers an email like that I would be in the unemployment line first thing in the morning.

And then you come onto to TGO and argue with the likes of Dolomite...tisk tisk...Everyone on here knows who the star players are around here who have earned their respect through the years. That may not mean much to some but it does to me.

A big thanks to all the TGO supporting vendors! I have visited most of them and have had a good experience with all.

My money sez an employee had nothing to do with it

Two things:

First, the continued arrogance of the gunshop in question is simply astounding.

Second, a relatively small 5% discount, or ~$200, would have been far less costly than the lost business represented in this thread. If the gunshop in question spent as much time being helpful to its potential customer base as it did being sarcastic, this thread would be full of praises and advocation to step foot in said shop.

End of rant.

P.S. Why not just own up to the word "sorry"? Why must everything BUT the word "sorry" be used?

Guest bkelm18

Business 101: Don't insult your customer base. It just truly amazes me how a business owner will go somewhere that is filled with the exact people who his business depends on and insult them to their faces. Just plain stupid.

The lesson here is that we should continue to support the TGO Vendors. They've had the brains to realize who their customers are and have gone out of their way to reach out to them.

I'll echo what everyone else has said. My shadow will never darken their doorway again and if someone asks me where the good shops are in the area, Precision Firearms will certainly not be on that list. Heck, I'd recommend Coal Creek over them, and that's saying something. They may have sketchy customer service as well, but at least the owner had the common sense to treat his customers with some shred of respect when he was on here.

I'm surprised to here this. Yeah the guy is a little of a smart *** but the price on my lcp was $5 more then buds. I will still use the store most likely. Whenever I went to purchase my gun he was very helpful. In my opinion his customer service is alot better then any other place I've been too, CCA etc.

Edited by Mdunntn
I'm surprised to here this. Yeah the guy is a little of a smart *** but the price on my lcp was $5 more then buds. I will still use the store most likely. Whenever I went to purchase my gun he was very helpful. In my opinion his customer service is alot better then any other place I've been too, CCA etc.

Glad you had a good experiance with his shop. But look at all the business this has cost him now. The more I read this the more it pisses me off. You never know who you are really talking to on the phone or in a email.

I won't spend my money with a chronic over-blown ego. Too many good shops out there.

EDIT: I have exchanged a couple of emails with Larry Potterfield. His tone was that of a respectful, fellow shooter. Within the scope of the gun industry, this guy is a freckle on Larry's butt.

Edited by mikegideon
I won't spend my money with a chronic over-blown ego. Too many good shops out there.

EDIT: I have exchanged a couple of emails with Larry Potterfield. His tone was that of a respectful, fellow shooter. Within the scope of the gun industry, this guy is a freckle on Larry's butt.

In the past, I too have had a few pleasant email exchanges with Larry.

I have a friend in Columbia, MO who by chance a few months ago, became friends with Larry and Brenda Potterfield. I have been a customer of theirs for a number of years, but his description of them and their attitude has confirmed my patronage all the more. They are simple, down to earth, and heart-felt towards friends and customers alike. They seem to be good, decent people.

I suppose the shop has given up on tgo, he should have browsed the forums a bit before flushing all these potential customers down the drain cause a lot of members here drop a lot of money on some very nice firearms and gear and if I owned a shop I would try my best to be an active member in this community so people may choose my shop over the hundreds of others.

I will repeat what has been said, I will frequent shops that are friendly and even if they are a little higher I will still buy from them just because if their attitude, makes me miss D&G ordinance if cleveland, I went to the store a few times before I moved up here and david was always very friendly and knew how to correct you without insulting you, it was always a learning experience and a friendly atmosphere. Wish I could find more stores like that in the cleveland area