Opinion: What is the best John Wayne movie of all time?

It's been a number of years since Dad and I have had a John Wayne marathon. We used to do that when I was a kid instead of watching cartoons on Saturday's and Sunday's. I'd venture to say I've seen just about every John Wayne movie made and quite a few more spaghetti westerns than most could handle. I'm looking for my next movie to download on the iPad to enlighten the younger guys I work with who's parents neglected to show them this genre of cinematography.

I've already shown the The Green Berets and True Grit and tonight it's The Alamo. Looking for opinions on what The Duke's best movie is.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

I'll admit that I'm not really a big John Wayne fan. The dude was a hammy actor. However, I do realize that he was the icon of American Cinema and an American Hero. That being said, I did enjoy True Grit (both of them).

This is awesome, I just watched Rooster Cogburn last night. I had never seen it before and found out my buddy had a copy of it. I grew up watching John Wayne movies since my grandpa has always been a big fan. I believe that he has every John Wayne movie ever made on VHS.

I have to say my favorite is The Longest Day. The historical aspect is the reason I like it so much, not necessarily due to his acting.

I'll admit, John Wayne was a hammy actor, but I can't help but love every John Wayne movie I watch. Plus he was such a patriot. You don't see that in Hollywood anymore.

I divide the Duke into two categories: War and Western, though he had some weird stuff thrown in as in The Red Witch and The Conqueror.

War: Sands of Iwo Jima or They were Expendable

Western: Ford's Cavalry trilogy (I watch them every time they're on), Chisum, or The Searchers (TCM's restored version is fabulous in HD.)

Guest cardcutter

The quiet man,The john Ford trilogy, The Searchers( he should of got an Oscar for that one) mclintok,Rio Bravo, How can you pick just one? The man who shot Liberty Valance,The flying leathernecks the Sands of Iwojima, The three godfathers and of course the one that made him in Hollywood....1939's Stagecoach.

As you might of guessed I kinda like the Duke.

Edited by cardcutter
spelling

My favorate is The Searchers. My brother took me to see North To Alaska. First movie at a theater I remember. Don't forget Donovan's Reef. Almost forgot In Harm's Way Starring John Wayne, Kirk Douglas, Patricia Neal and Tom Tryon

Edited by greenego

Watched a bunch of the Duke and liked most of them. In my not so humble opinion, I think his best was his last: "The Shootist" And I think that primarily because John Wayne was finally playing John Wayne. In a lot of ways it was the culmination of his career, or at least the culmination of his Western genre career. Gosh, just the opening sequence was like a history lesson on the Duke.

Oh, and I'll give honorable mention to one no one else has mentioned yet - maybe because he starred with James Stewart and Lee Marvin - "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance." Loved the book, liked the movie almost as well.

...TS...