Do I really want a Glock?

Caster

So the wife [fairly certain] is fixin' to buy me another handgun. But what to get? I need/want another 9mm and my initial choice was another XD, but I wonder what I wouldn't rather buy my first Glock? Probably a 19 as they are closer to the XD I am already comfortable with than the 17. With the failure of another pistol of mine today, I'm in serious want of a pistol that I can buy extra's of EVERY moving part EASILY. Even my beloved XD cannot do that. I see the booths at the gunshow for Glocks. It doesn't appear as though there is a part I can't buy there. They are certainly supported more than any other handgun. I'm close to the edge on this. The main thing holding me back is that no matter HOW good a deal I get, it's going to cost me an extra C note for every Glock I end up owning for a new cut rifled barrel. [see my name;)] Think a G19 would be an easy transition from an XD?

Here's a beggars question to boot: Anyone own a G17 & a G19 that happen to shoot at CHMR on sundays AND wouldn't mind sharing? I'll be happy to go buy factory ammo to feed 'em. I'll thinka sumthin' to make it worth your while. One thing I have come to the point of in the last few years: I'm sick of mediocrity and settlement. I'm going to find something suits me and buy it, then axe everything else.

Thanks for opinions:)

Edited by Caster
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fought the urge to get a Glock for years then I took the plunge and got one. I never got used to the feel, so I traded it.

I lucked up and won a Glock in a drawing at a GSSF match. I picked the Gen 4 Glock 17 and I absolutely love it. Now that I have a Glock that feels good in my hand, I can see why so many people like them.

You're right, it's AWESOME to be able to go almost anywhere and find parts, accessories, and gear in stock. This may even be one of my top 3 reasons for liking them now.

i have had both from sub compacts to full size. my favorite glock is the G23...I carry a G26 sometimes. i used to have a xd 45 service model and xd40sc. I liked the full size XD but as far as compacts and sub compacts I would hands down pick the glock. My glocks are gen 3's. if i had to pick one or the other...i would lean towards the glock. Both are nice weapons though.

I have own a Glock 19 for over 15 years. To me it is a must own gun. I own a lot of pistols. Over the years have sold quite a few but not the 19. It is my most carried pistol. I pick it up out of the safe with out thinking about it then might change my mind depending on what I am doing. Mine is a Gen II.

If I were a betting man more Glock 19's are traded back and forth on this site, more than any other pistol or brand.

I just recently purchase the new CM9 Kahr 9mm that I really like and will review here soon.

Edited by R1100R

First let me say that Glocks are fine weapons. I had a G19 that never failed to shoot whatever I fed it.

However, I could never get comfortable shooting that gun. The grip angle just did not work for me and I could never get used to the trigger.

Guest TresOsos
With the failure of another pistol of mine today

Mind if I asked what failed,

Ever heard of One is none, two is one.

Why I have multiple 1911s and put them through a carry and shoot(range) rotation on a regular schedule.

Mind if I asked what failed,

Ever heard of One is none, two is one.

Why I have multiple 1911s and put them through a carry and shoot(range) rotation on a regular schedule.

It was a Taurus that failed after a decade of service and thousands of rounds.

Yep two is one and several is better. That's why I traded out to my Saturday goin dancin pistol. If it fails I'll have to break out my Sunday go to meetin pistol. Lol

Guest TresOsos
It was a Taurus that failed after a decade of service and thousands of rounds.

Yep two is one and several is better. That's why I traded out to my Saturday goin dancin pistol. If it fails I'll have to break out my Sunday go to meetin pistol. Lol

A least you got a sense of humor about it, go with the Glock, personally they don't have any appeal to me.

People say they work, the ones I've shot have had crappy triggers, poor ergonomics, but they seem to be acceptably

accurate and go bang.

Can I Carry and Conceal the XD Service or Glock 19/23

I can't conceal one nearly as well as XD subbie. Butt is too big. The pistol's, not mine.

Butt is hardest part of gun to hide to discerning eye.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest gw2and4

I'm at CHMR every couple weeks or so. Usually Sunday afternoons since I have church in the mornings. Got an "IDPA'd up" 34 and a stock 19 that you're welcome to shoot anytime to try out. Also have some in .40 if you'd like to check those out too. Anything I can do to save someone from making the XD mistake...LOL :)

Oh come on :) I love my xd9. I'm just thinking I'd love a pistol as well supported as the Glock even more. Thanks for the offer everyone. I'll probably be there the next open weekend after Christmas. Maybe several of us should get together after the holidays and shuffle some pistols around???

Guest Lester Weevils

I got a gen 3 G17 awhile ago and it is a fine pistol. But it don't shoot it much at the range because it just seems boring. Silly reason. Getting excited about that pistol is kinda like getting excited about a decent broom, hammer or refrigerator that "just works." That is probably some kind of priority inversion. A more practical person would probably appreciate it more.

Guest Lester Weevils
I think in some cases Boring is Comforting. Surprises in a duty/service/defensive weapon are rarely welcome.

I agree. Boring but reliable might be just about the perfect thing for a carry or home defense weapon.