Do I really want a Glock?

Caster

I like Glocks, my two are a G22 and G20SF. I put night sights on both, shot a little factory ammo for function and have run reloads thru them since. I shoot hardcast lead thru the factory barrels with no problems. Only extra parts I have on hand are recoil assemblies and change them out when extraction/ejection starts to go off (5,000 to 7,000 rounds).

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's wrong with glock triggers? And what do yall carry that don't like the trigger ? Seems fine to me ... Former owner if a g19 I carried it daily and was very proficient with it ... Only issue I had is I don't like not having safety ... The xd is one ugley firearm to me ... But is more safe action than the glock is... I carry a S&W 4006 now ....

Caster, I've been this route. The biggest difference is the grip angle. Your muscle memory is set at a 1911 angle from the XD's. When you do the "eyes closed pick up" test, the Glock is going to be pointing way high. Once you've handled the Glock enough, the XD will point way low.

Personally, I didn't want to mess with my "muscle memory." I wanted to settle on a platform of consistency for me, one that I would be used to regardless of caliber and would be automatic IF I NEEDED IT in a stressful situation. For other reasons, as well, I chose Glock, and it's all I use now. My 2 cents.

Guest cardcutter

I bought a gen 4 g19 and I love it. People either love em or hate em. I can say I have had 0 failures. They are the most used pistols at the IDPA shoots

Caster, I've been this route. The biggest difference is the grip angle. Your muscle memory is set at a 1911 angle from the XD's. When you do the "eyes closed pick up" test, the Glock is going to be pointing way high. Once you've handled the Glock enough, the XD will point way low.

Personally, I didn't want to mess with my "muscle memory." I wanted to settle on a platform of consistency for me, one that I would be used to regardless of caliber and would be automatic IF I NEEDED IT in a stressful situation. For other reasons, as well, I chose Glock, and it's all I use now. My 2 cents.

I stayed away from Glocks for the longest time because of this. I was forced to use a G17 for a shooting course a little over a year ago and once I was done I immediately went out and got a G19. I carry it all the time now; great weapon... simple and I like the "no frills" appeal of it. Of course, when I go to the range and use my Kimber now my muscle memory is all jacked up.

So the wife [fairly certain] is fixin' to buy me another handgun. But what to get? I need/want another 9mm and my initial choice was another XD, but I wonder what I wouldn't rather buy my first Glock? Probably a 19 as they are closer to the XD I am already comfortable with than the 17. With the failure of another pistol of mine today, I'm in serious want of a pistol that I can buy extra's of EVERY moving part EASILY. Even my beloved XD cannot do that. I see the booths at the gunshow for Glocks. It doesn't appear as though there is a part I can't buy there. They are certainly supported more than any other handgun. I'm close to the edge on this. The main thing holding me back is that no matter HOW good a deal I get, it's going to cost me an extra C note for every Glock I end up owning for a new cut rifled barrel. [see my name;)] Think a G19 would be an easy transition from an XD?

Here's a beggars question to boot: Anyone own a G17 & a G19 that happen to shoot at CHMR on sundays AND wouldn't mind sharing? I'll be happy to go buy factory ammo to feed 'em. I'll thinka sumthin' to make it worth your while. One thing I have come to the point of in the last few years: I'm sick of mediocrity and settlement. I'm going to find something suits me and buy it, then axe everything else.

Thanks for opinions:)

Caster, I have some extra glock barrels floating around for a 19. Somehow my dad had 2 or 3 extas for it, and he didnt even shoot lead rounds. At least one is new in the package but I doubt the gun has 5 boxes total thru it on any of the barrels. It may take me a little time to track one down but I can work something out with you if you go this route. I think one of them may be ported, its been a long time since I looked at it, the gun is with my sister and the barrels are who knows where.

I was having this debate for sometime.... Shot several of the xds and the glocks... Went with 19 and a month later got the 22.... I like the reliability and they eat whatever ammo I put through them... That being said for me buying a pistol is all about how it feels and shoots in my hand not someone else's... You are smart to shoot them all first and pick what feels the best. I also agree with buying used they tend to hold value at used pricing!

Caster, I have some extra glock barrels floating around for a 19. Somehow my dad had 2 or 3 extas for it, and he didnt even shoot lead rounds. At least one is new in the package but I doubt the gun has 5 boxes total thru it on any of the barrels. It may take me a little time to track one down but I can work something out with you if you go this route. I think one of them may be ported, its been a long time since I looked at it, the gun is with my sister and the barrels are who knows where.

Hmmm, Jonnin do let me know!

Since you have pondered it enough to ask the question on here. I would say yes, you want a Glock. Give one a try.:)

I've wanted a Glcok for a long time, I just stayed away for petty reasons. Didn't want to incest in a slew of new magazines and a new barrel.

I have decided for fact and for certain to try them out, I just don't know which one. The 19 is supposedly easier to carry but I don't put very much effort into concealment because I don't care if it's spotted. I find the 17 intriguing with it's sharp angle and higher capacity.

Well that's a funny thing because my groups tend to be low with my XD. TIGHT, but a touch low. I have had to purposefully force myself to change my point of aim to stay perfectly centered...err uhh perfectly...err as good as my shaky knees would do.

Guest bkelm18

I've tried to like Glocks. Trigger is horrible and the ergonomics are something that I can't get used to. M&Ps and XDs are far better firearms as far as trigger and ergos, in my opinion*.

*That is my opinion. I'm sorry if it offends anyone's delicate sensibilities. :)

Guest drv2fst

I really dont like Glocks. They are ugly, boring, have bad ergonomics, and aren't nearly as accurate as many other guns.

But a Glock 19 is what I carry about half the time. It's light, reliable, and has 15+1 rounds.

I have yet to find the perfect gun, but I really like searching.

After having a my G19 for several years, I couldn't imagine life without it. I am a normal sized guy, and with a decent IWB holster, the pistol vanishes under a loose t-shirt.

It eats anything I have fed it, all the cheap ammo I can find, steel cased, aluminum cased, brass cased. FMJ, JHP, it doesn't matter. I haven't tried feeding it lead cast, but I might get a barrel and go that route when I start reloading.

I have several Glock factory mags, and several Korean knock offs. I honestly can't tell the difference. I do have some of the cheap 33 rounders, and they suck. Rumor has it that a spring change will fix them though.

Once you get used the to feel, you won't even notice the grip angle. The trigger, I am used to it now with thousands of rounds downrange. Doesn't even phase me.

As for the safeties... Well that is a personal matter. I personally don't believe that I need a mechanical safety. My Glock was my first bottom feeder. I never had a safety on any of my revolvers. Why would the Glock be inherently more dangerous?

I really dont like Glocks. They are ugly, boring, have bad ergonomics, and aren't nearly as accurate as many other guns.

I have heard that for years. I have NEVER been witness to it though. Everyone I ever saw was very accurate. There's a video I watched last night the old guy is shooting it at like 80 yards. I can't do that!

Guest TresOsos
I've wanted a Glcok for a long time, I just stayed away for petty reasons. Didn't want to incest in a slew of new magazines and a new barrel.

I didn't know Glocks and their accurements were incestuous.........

Have you considered the Smith & Wesson M&P? It is a solid proven performer.

The fact that’s it’s made by Americans in America and has the backing of the best customer support in the industry, should you ever need it, is just icing on the cake.

The fact that’s it’s made by Americans in America and has the backing of the best customer support in the industry, should you ever need it, is just icing on the cake.

I held a few at the last gunshow. Didn't care for them at all. Nice guns, but not for me.

I'm a parts nut too. One of the contributing factors to going to the AR platform and abandoning all others was the fact that I could, without effort, put away parts. I have spares for spares of everything. Glock seems to make this very doable and affordable.

I love my M&P9, but sure wish they made a mid size like the G19.

Guest TresOsos

The M&P series of pistols may be outstanding performers but whoever designed those queer looking cocking serations(and the idiot(s) who acttually let those make it into production) ruined it's appeal as far as I'm concerned.

The M&P series of pistols may be outstanding performers but whoever designed those queer looking cocking serations(and the idiot(s) who acttually let those make it into production) ruined it's appeal as far as I'm concerned.

Those serrations have a lot better grab than the straight ones on a Glock. Of course, you're right. Somebody would be more likely to take your queer pistol away from you and beat you with it :D. I think I'll just carry my Glock. I'm too old to take an ass whippin' these days :)