LCR vs CM9, which to buy?

kesava

I am torn. I can either purchase an LCR or a CM9 as a gift to myself. i have been wanting to replace my P3AT with something more range friendly, but I can't decide. I had a PM9 and sold it to free up some funds. I regret that day. it was a fantastic gun. But, I haven't heard anything but good things about the LCR. As a matter of fact, my curiousity into concealable wheel guns has been growing.

I have even considered the charter arms version of their lightweight gun. What are you thought?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The LCR has the best snubbie revolver trigger than anything, my opinion. S&W's are much harder, and thereby harder to be accurate with; my experience only. I also like that a hammerless revo is good from inside your jacket pocket, as well. No casing to jam up. BUT, these things are not "all day at the range fun" guns. Of the two choices you present, I would go with the LCR.

I just got a CM9 and love it. I put 75 rounds through it the other week. I was waiting to put a few more down range before I did a review. I own a few .380 and J Frames. The trigger on this pistol is unbelievable for a DA only. I was going to by a PPS, then a Nano. With the mixed reviews on the Nano i was going to wait. Magiccarpetrides told me about the CM9 and I bought one and fell in love with it. This pistol has a much better trigger in DA than any J Frame I have shot. For under $400 it is what a single stack 9MM Glock would have been.

I'm with Steelharp on the LCR trigger. Took my wife to Guns & Leather to pull as many snubbie triggers as possible. She wanted hammerless which put us at DA only pistols. There were some S&Ws she could not even pull. The LCR was the best trigger available in that class of firearm. This was prior to the S&W Bodyguard which I suspect has a similar trigger. Ruger did a good job on the recoil reducing grips too. You can really tell a difference on +P ammo. It is however not a fun gun at the range. The wife still prefers her 4" GP100 as a range toy.

Bought one for my wife earlier this month as a Christmas present. She didn't like her PF9 and we figured a light revolver would work best for her. We looked at many options and it came down between the S&W and LCR. She picked the LCR because it was a tad lighter and the trigger was easier for her to pull.

At the range, I was shocked how pleasant it was to shoot for being so light. She actually finished 100 rounds at the range, which she usually gets tired of shooting after 25 or so.

The LCR has the best snubbie revolver trigger than anything, my opinion. S&W's are much harder, and thereby harder to be accurate with; my experience only. I also like that a hammerless revo is good from inside your jacket pocket, as well. No casing to jam up. BUT, these things are not "all day at the range fun" guns. Of the two choices you present, I would go with the LCR.

+1 on the LCR.

I like mine.

While I haven't shot an LCR, I had a 442, which is pretty comparable. I got rid of it for a CM9 and never looked back. I would rather have a slimmer gun with 7 rounds of 9mm vs. a fatter gun with 5 .38s. Plus, I couldn't hit the floor with the 442; with the CM9, I can wear out steel plates at 25 yards at a decent pace. Yes, this was a training/practice issue, but I didn't want to spend a lot of time practicing with a gun I would rarely carry, especially since it was so different from anything else I have. The CM9 makes a hell of a pocket/ankle gun.

Edited by deerslayer

Boy, talk about apples & oranges. I like wheel guns myself but have never fired an LCR. I have had my CM9 for about 6 weeks and have 350 rounds through it without any problems, it's just flat out a shooter. Since you had a PM9 you already know what the CM9 is, no mystery there. If you really want a revolver the LCR should be a good one, but a S&W Jframe is just purtty. As to range friendly the ammo will cost you a bit more and while I don't know about the LRC in particular light weight .38s will punish you.

Went through a couple of the mouse autos on the way to finding the LCR.

It's the cream of the crop in pocketable revolvers, phenominal trigger, light and easily concealed. Can shoot for extended periods comfortably, which I couldn't say for any of the little autos.

Hard to beat.

I'd love to get some range time with an LCR. If it's as controllable as my all-steel 649 (I sold my airweight 638 because it beat the crap out of my hands) then I might look at getting one, but there's no way I'll buy one without trying one out first.

My experence is with the S&W J-Frame and I'm very fond of the 442, which I have recommended to a lot of folk's. Of your two choice's I'd go with the LCR in .38 Special and call it done because it's a good revolver. Even better you'll be able to purchase one later on in .22LR when they start showing up in gun stores. That way you can really spend enough time shooting the gun platform to really get good with it.

LCR never jambs,never stove pipes,does not have safteys,slide locks,magazines to dilodge and is more reliable than an LC9

Master a wheel gun takes a little more practice but even with a few less rounds...I switched from a semi auto to a wheelgun

and find it to be more secure to know my 5 shots will go BANG as long as I pull the trigger.....LCR>LC9

I bought a CM9 first week of November. Over three hundred rounds so far. Not a single problem. It is snappy and will leave your hand a little sore after a hundred or so, but it's not really a range gun. I like mine and have been carrying it every since my first trip to break it in.

I bought before Nov 30 to get the free seven round mag. Haven't gotten to try it out yet. Overall very satisfied.

Guest FiddleDog

I had a CM9. Dead on accurate, and didn't have any reliability issues with it. It is a jumpy little guy. I think that it was easier to conceal than my 642, but harder to shoot. Nice trigger. I'd go with the LCR, personally.