P95 vs Sigma vs 2022?

NeveSSL

Hi all,

I am looking at buying my first automatic pistol, and I'm on a little bit of a budget, so I'm debating between the three guns listed. I'm wanting to do 9mm as I feel it is a great all around round for an all around gun, which this will be for the time being. :D Its also fairly inexpensive to shoot, especially compared to 45. :) I'm planning on using this gun to probably go through a concealed carry class, but I'll probably buy another pistol to carry concealed later on.

Any thoughts on these three? From what I've gathered, all three should be great pistols in their own respects. However, those respects do differ. :) I'm leaning toward the 2022 as I would LOVE to own a Sig. They have a great reputation as a great manufacturer and the 2022 is no exception. However, it is $100 more than the others and only has one magazine with it. Not a huge deal, but does count since I'm on a budget. The others seem to be great shooters and highly reliable, but I find the Ruger to be a bit ugly and the Sigma is DAO, if I'm not mistaken (the guy at Academy told me today it was SAO... in a rather rude way... I laughed after I double checked and saw that it was DAO... but that's a story for a different post :) ).

What say you guys?

Also, any thoughts on a good gun shop in the Nashville area I can have one shipped to, other than Academy Sports in Cool Springs? One of those guys was condescending and a jerk. He was also very wrong about the Sigma. :) The other guys there didn't seem to care to much. It was a weird, fairly unpleasant experience.

Brandon

Edited by NeveSSL
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to Guns and Leather in Hendersonville or Greenbriar or D&T Arms in Hendersonville. You will probably find what you want at one of these stores but I would go with Sig. They are great and reliable and look good too. I carry a P229 Elite Dark as my primary and would not swap it, well maybe for another 1911 but that's another story. 9mm is a great round along with .40 which is about the same price in ammo cost. If you buy a .40 later on you can buy a .357 sig barrel from Sig and use the same magazines and have even more power in the 2022. If you buy a 9mm you will be limited to only that caliber but 9mm will serve you good! IMHO you can't compare a Sigma or Ruger SR series to a Sig lol. Also check out Glock if you like those..great guns!

I am sure there are many good places but since you asked what I would do: I would buy the gun at D&T Arms (they are a TGO sponsor) or at the very least have it shipped to them. Retired Navy GMC (on here) is the owner. A guy I work with recently told me that he had found a particular 1911 at Academy, I asked D&T and he saved quite a bit on it!

Sig gets my vote out of the 3 you mentioned. But are you consider new only? You can get some really nice 9mm guns used. Glock 19 and xd9c just to mention my favs. But that's up to you. As far as a transfer, depending on your area, most shops can help with that.

Hi all,

I am looking at buying my first automatic pistol, and I'm on a little bit of a budget, so I'm debating between the three guns listed. I'm wanting to do 9mm as I feel it is a great all around round for an all around gun, which this will be for the time being. :D Its also fairly inexpensive to shoot, especially compared to 45. :) I'm planning on using this gun to probably go through a concealed carry class, but I'll probably buy another pistol to carry concealed later on.

Any thoughts on these three? From what I've gathered, all three should be great pistols in their own respects. However, those respects do differ. :) I'm leaning toward the 2022 as I would LOVE to own a Sig. They have a great reputation as a great manufacturer and the 2022 is no exception. However, it is $100 more than the others and only has one magazine with it. Not a huge deal, but does count since I'm on a budget. The others seem to be great shooters and highly reliable, but I find the Ruger to be a bit ugly and the Sigma is DAO, if I'm not mistaken (the guy at Academy told me today it was SAO... in a rather rude way... I laughed after I double checked and saw that it was DAO... but that's a story for a different post :) ).

What say you guys?

Also, any thoughts on a good gun shop in the Nashville area I can have one shipped to, other than Academy Sports in Cool Springs? One of those guys was condescending and a jerk. He was also very wrong about the Sigma. :) The other guys there didn't seem to care to much. It was a weird, fairly unpleasant experience.

Brandon

The 2022 is hands down the best of this bunch.

I like to look at the Sigma as a decent budget gun if the funds are tight. The P95 I've never shot or handled but it seems it's about in the same price range as the Sig SP2022 so I would definitely choose it over those.

The only thing that blows about the SP2022 is that it will only come with 1 Mag and you will need to buy the rest yourself. However, on a positive note, CDNN regularly puts the SP2022 factory 9mm and 40 mags on sale for $10 each so just keep a look out for those to get yourself some extra mags.

I just sold a 2022, decent gun but only comes with one mag like you mentioned and Sig is proud of those magazines, not the prettiest or the lightest but it has worked 100% for me.

Out of the three you listed I would take the sig, granted all three will get the job done.

Acadamy sells the 9mm 2022 for 399, just seen one in the Knoxville store, thats a pretty fair price for a decent pistol. Havent looked at sigma and P95 prices lately but I dont think the Sig is that far out of line with those @ 399.00

All of the pistol's that you've mentioned have been on the market for a while so odd's are you can find one used for less money. The Ruger P95 can be transformed into a far better pistol with a Wolff Spring Kit or some part's upgrade's. It's kind of a sleeper because it doesn't look very sexy but is a fine first start and my recomendation of the three.

Many, many thanks for all of the replies!

I wish I knew exactly what I wanted. That would make this much easier. :) But that will only come with putting rounds down range and going from there.

I may see if there's somewhere around that I could rent any of these. A few years ago, I wanted to get an XD9, and then Obama was elected and all hell broke loose on gun prices. I've noticed they started to come back down a little bit. I think at that time, XD9s could be found for $425 new. They then jumped to something like $550. Pretty big jump.

I am certainly not stuck on purchasing a new gun. I would prefer to, but don't have to. I may check out the classifieds in a bit. :P

I'm going to continue digging around. Thank you again for the replies!

Brandon

Guest Smoke14

The Academy here in Gulfport MS also has the CZ 75 P-07 for 399. I have one in 9mm and it has been perfect through 600 rounds. It is DA/SA and can be switched between decocker and manual safety. Just another option, if available.

CZ75P-07a.jpg

choices are endless

for 400.00 guns the Ruger SR9 over all of the choices

The CZ above id also look into if you want SA/DA another fantastic choice and out of the box

thinking -I own both a CZ and a SR and regard them as some of the best NINES you can buy

Edited by SonnyCrockett

The Sigmas don't have the best of reputations. The 2022 is a decent Sig and just having one mag wouldn't be that big of a deal for what you will use it for. I would pick the 2022 over the P250 any day. I remember Academy had a decent deal on a Ruger LC9, but i don't remember how much.

I have a 2022 and it is a fine shooting gun. I can't believe they aren't priced higher. It is a steal under $400. Look around used here in classifieds, sigforum, and gunbroker. I have seen them sell anywhere from 300-400 used and sometimes with extra mags, holsters, etc. It is a rare occasion that I buy a brand new anything.......

I bought a Sigma once. Refuse to own another S & W. They should be held accountable for foisting those things off on the public.

The Sig SP2022 is a phenominal bargain. As accurate and reliable as it's big (much more expensive) brothers.

Thanks again, all.

I am leaning heavily toward the Sig. I'm thinking about just grabbing one off of GunBroker and running with it. :poop: I've got to find a dealer in Nashville to ship to, though. Any suggestions that you guys use?

Brandon

The sigma is a decent gun. I have an older version that has been good for several thousand rounds. I also have both the SD40 as well as the SD9. It is a much better design. Really has limited similarities when you look at the true mechanics. Put a Apex kit in them and they are even sweeter. The p95 is a boat anchor. I have not shot the sig but have held it and played with it. Only drawback is it's kinda bulky wen compared to the sleek presence of the SD.

Thanks again, all.

I am leaning heavily toward the Sig. I'm thinking about just grabbing one off of GunBroker and running with it. :) I've got to find a dealer in Nashville to ship to, though. Any suggestions that you guys use?

Brandon

What area are you in and how far do you want to drive to locate a dealer?

I'm in Nipper's Corner/almost Brentwood. I'm fine for driving for up to an hour if someone in these neck of the woods is a dealer (other than Academy in Cool Springs). Is there a TN gun shop listing somewhere on here?

Brandon

Probably the closest to you would be Guns For America in the 100 Oaks area. Nice shop and good inventory, also a class III dealer. There's also Uselton's and Franklin Gun Shop in Franklin. Just do a search for gun shops in the Nashville area. Also can check the vendors who advertise here.