1911 in 357 Mag

subsonic

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I'll be the first here to droll over it and say "I Want One!" Had the opportunity to shoot the orginal Coonan years ago and loved it. Couldn't afford one then. Now that it's in the price range of a good 1911...I believe I'll be in the market for one.

Haha, so true. He actually was not thrilled with what the government made him do to the 1911. His masterpiece was the Hi-Power in 9mm. ;)
Don't have the pics to post but the prototype Hi-Power he was working on when he died looks nothing like what FN eventually manufactured.

The desert eagle 357 from IMI is a single action 1911ish design. They are much different internally of course, but frame style and trigger pull and overall shooting feel are similar. Come to think of it, if it has the bushing and grip safety, the 1911 may be a step backwards (/duck).

I would buy it, though, if I could hold one and it passed the pick-up test. I think I would by a 9mm 1911 first, and if this new one were a double stack 44 it would very, very hard for me to pass up.

I have never had any trouble with rimmed cases in an auto, 22s work find, my 44 works fine, those I have shot a LOT and have tried the 50 and 357 as well but do not own those. I know the rim makes it a challenge to design, but the pistols I have tried all do pretty well. Oh and 30-06 is rimmed, shot that in a semi as well as a couple of other rifle rounds.

Edited by Jonnin
Guest ochretoe

Being a .357 nut from way back, I am in love. I have been saving for pistol for my bug out bag but I think the funds are now going to go into holding for one of these.

The desert eagle 357 from IMI is a single action 1911ish design. They are much different internally of course, but frame style and trigger pull and overall shooting feel are similar. Come to think of it, if it has the bushing and grip safety, the 1911 may be a step backwards (/duck).

I would buy it, though, if I could hold one and it passed the pick-up test. I think I would by a 9mm 1911 first, and if this new one were a double stack 44 it would very, very hard for me to pass up.

I have never had any trouble with rimmed cases in an auto, 22s work find, my 44 works fine, those I have shot a LOT and have tried the 50 and 357 as well but do not own those. I know the rim makes it a challenge to design, but the pistols I have tried all do pretty well. Oh and 30-06 is rimmed, shot that in a semi as well as a couple of other rifle rounds.

The 30-06 is rimless. BTW

I'm not saying that you can't get them to run they are just more sensitive to magazine design/spring pressure and capacity.

The 30-06 is rimless. BTW

I'm not saying that you can't get them to run they are just more sensitive to magazine design/spring pressure and capacity.

Haha you are correct, it is rimless. I wonder what on earth I was thinking about this morn. I know I have shot something in that neighborhood that was rimmed, but it escapes me for the moment.

Looks nice and I wouldn't mind owning one if I won the lottery but it would still be waaay down on the 'want' list. In my mind, a .357 revolver is already nearly the perfect 'all around' handgun (not that I don't like/want/have other wheelguns and semiautos.) For me, taking a cartridge that is almost 'perfect' in a wheel gun and stuffing it in a bottom feeder isn't really an improvement. Hey, though, different strokes and all that.

Don't have the pics to post but the prototype Hi-Power he was working on when he died looks nothing like what FN eventually manufactured.

Neither did the 1911 prototype.:D Here is the HP protytpe in which his patent was issued. All the fundamentals are there. Saive finished the asthetics and finished well IMO.

JMBHi-Power.jpg

Edited by Smith

I got to play with the Coonan .357 a bit last Fall. I have a serious case of 'want'. To me a Desert Eagle feels like a brick. The Coonan feels right. It's on my list for maybe next Fall unless I see a real bargain on one.

Ballistically:

.357 Winchester 158gr JHP - 1235fps, 535 ft/lbs

.357 Winchester 125gr JHP - 1450fps, 583 ft/lbs

.45acp Winchester 230gr JHP - 880fps, 396 ft/lbs

In what way are they similar?

I dont really see the point as 357 and 45 ballisticly are about equal.
I got to play with the Coonan .357 a bit last Fall. I have a serious case of 'want'. To me a Desert Eagle feels like a brick. The Coonan feels right. It's on my list for maybe next Fall unless I see a real bargain on one.

Ballistically:

.357 Winchester 158gr JHP - 1235fps, 535 ft/lbs

.357 Winchester 125gr JHP - 1450fps, 583 ft/lbs

.45acp Winchester 230gr JHP - 880fps, 396 ft/lbs

In what way are they similar?

^ yeah, that's what I was wondering.

Guest dubaholic2
Sacrilege! 1911's should be in .45acp. JMB would be rolling over in his grave!

he actually designed it for .38 super. he changed it to accomodate .45acp because thats what the military wanted to replace their .38's.