Hello, New Guy with re-location ?

Good Morning. I'm new to this forum. My name is David S. Mackiernan

My family and I are re-locating to Tennessee from Massachusetts. Hopefully this year.... hopefully as soon as possible.

I am a Mass- LTC -A unrestricted ( that's Licence to carry high capacity, no restrictions..... it's like winning the lottery in Mass :)). Also a C&R ffl.

So... I have a few questions.

1. We have not decided on an area of TN. We need to make a few trips, look at houses /farms ect..

Do I need a temporary licence to carry or some sort of non-resident permit? It needs to cover my personal carry.

We would be spending a few days at a time in TN. Not just driving through.

2. We are looking into purchasing farm property. Opinions on better parts of the state? I know that's a bit off topic, but any help is nice. Also would like to make our own private gun range for practice and plinking .

I have been told to brace myself for culture shock coming from Mass to TN ( in a good way). Personally I can't wait to live in a FREE STATE. Without AW-bans, lists of approved firearms, ect. ect ect.

And the Taxes and regulations that are killing my business.

Thank you in advance.

DSM

(hopping to soon be a refugee from Mass...... before my head explodes)

Edited by David S. Mackiernan
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

Tennessee honors MA carry permits (I believe TN honors all carry permits), so you are ok to carry here with your current permit. Once you move here, you have six months to get a TN carry permit, which I'm sure will seem like a walk in the park compared to what you had to go through before.

Welcome to TN. Patron state of shootin' stuff. :)

Edited by bkelm18
Guest NYCrulesU

Welcome (in advance)! You will love it here. My wife and I are both originally from Jersey. We moved to Tn after 6 years in Va. We know this is home. I can only say I wished we'd moved here years ago :)

Guest Catfish36

Welcome Home!

May I suggest East Tennesse..more specifically Blount Count around Maryville. Recently rated one of the best places to raise a family ( forgot where I heard that or who did the rating..haha). In the foothills of the Smoky MTns. Beautiful views and Nice people...

Oh and also we like guns here...

Welcome! If you want to make your own shooting range just get a piece of land outside the city limits somewhere and get a couple dump trucks of dirt, grab your "assault weapon" with your high capacity magazines and shoot into the resulting pile! Or you can do what I do and sit on the swing on the front porch of your in-laws house and just shoot out into the woods and let the recoil rock you to sleep.

Guest capt usa

[quote name=2. We are looking into purchasing farm property. Opinions on better parts of the state? I know that's a bit off topic, but any help is nice. Also would like to make our own private gun range for practice and plinking .

[/quote]

If you want beautiful mountain scenery, go to east TN. Flat country where you can see for miles, west TN. For the best of both, stay in the middle. Welcome.

From Nashville to Memphis has nice rolling hills and a little more flat. From Nashville to Knoxville it becomes more mountainous. Depends on your preference but each is very scenic and has nice land to be found. Best of luck in your search for land in Tennessee. You won't regret moving here and welcome to the forum!

Guest micahlayne

Middle Tn is a great place to be. In Lafayette three bedroom homes nice can be purchased for 70000 for used and nice. Property taxes are low. The only drawback is availability of jobs. And there is a small gun club. Lots of land large enough for private range. Good luck with your new home hunting

If you plan to actually GROW something, do not neglect to dig in the dirt at any property you buy. A lot of this state is very rocky and other parts are unfriendly to growing crops (clay, other annoying things). It can still be done if you work at it but if you pick a place that has decent soil to begin with... so much better.

Shooting is easy enough, the whole state is pretty good about that though a couple of the larger towns have more rules and regulations.... you cannot shoot outdoors (even on your own property) in most of them, inside the city limits, and often the city limits reach out a bit farther than you might think (for tax purposes, the city wants to tax the suburbs).

Thank you for all the input.

We are actively searching TN properties right now. Amassing a list of favorite places... (fingers crossed to sell my house). And not planning to many business related trips this summer, and clearing our racing schedule.

The more I learn about Tn the more I think I will like it! My wife has family, and her ancestors are from down there...... she just laughs and says I'll fit right in.

Guest nicemac
If you plan to actually GROW something, do not neglect to dig in the dirt at any property you buy. A lot of this state is very rocky and other parts are unfriendly to growing crops (clay, other annoying things). It can still be done if you work at it but if you pick a place that has decent soil to begin with... so much better.

If you see a bunch of cedar trees on the property, it is probably rocky and isn't good for grown' other stuff…