Henry Lever Action .22

JoeJ615

was thinking of picking up an air rifle just for plinking/pest control (too many nearby neighbors) but then saw this https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/36596 at my local walmart and thought it might work for the same purpose with 22 shorts .. does anyone have experience with &/or an educated opinion on this gun? and more to the point is it as quiet as im hoping with 22 shorts (blame hickok45 for my ideas on that lol) or does the carbine length barrel negate that somewhat?

Been looking at them off and on for a while. Really nice litte rifles. I think I want a 22 mag version actually. I've got a couple of 22 lr guns I'll have to get rid of first. I guess I'll end up with one sooner or later, but I just keep getting sidetracked by all the handguns.

ok new question kinda lol ... been looking at different types of ammo in 22 short ... and just found out what 22 short CB's were lol ... even with no powder only primer would these still be more powerful than the higher end 1,000 FPS pellet guns? im assuming so since the advertised speed of the CCI short CB's are around 700 FPS but with a 29g bullet instead of the standard 7.9g .177 pellet .... or should i just get standard 22 shorts since they are still subsonic at around 1,000FPS and are they roughly as quiet as the CB's out of the 16.25" barrel?

Edited by JoeJ615
ok new question kinda lol ... been looking at different types of ammo in 22 short ... can anyone explain the difference between standard 22 short and 22 short CB?

.22 short has a powder load in it

.22CB has no actual powder (or very very little) and is propelled mostly or only by the primer.

.22CB is about like a mid to low speed pellet gun

I have a box of CCI in each,

- .22 short (27 gr copper washed hollow point bullet) says 1105 fps,

- CB (29 gr lead round nose bullet) is 710, which is probably the upper end of CB velocity, so it may have just a bit of actual powder in it, dunno.

edit: got me curious, I took one of each apart.

- The CB has just a little bit of light gray large flat flake powder in it

- The regular short has 4 or 5 times as much of tiny grained dark powder.

Some CB's have no powder at all and looking at some specs, may only run half as fast as the CCI variety, which is about like Daisy BB gun.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I think subsonic is the big thing. It's the crack of the sonic boom that gets people's attention. They're relatively cheap so get a box of each and try them out. The CB's handled squirrels out to about 30 yds and were accurate out to 50, if I recall.

Doing the energy math... a 29gr bullet at 700ft/s has about 23% more energy than an 8gr pellet at 1200ft/s.

Then there's suppressors...

Guest Aces&8s

I shoot Remington Subsonics, CCI Shorts, and Aquila Super Colibri out of my Henry Golden Boy all the time. With the Subsonics and Super Colibri, it is probably as quiet as my air rifle. I will say that my particular rifle is not as accurate with subsonics as it is standard velocity and hypervelocity ammo, though.

picked up the henry yesterday, ended up finding it at a local gun shop for about $20 cheaper than walmart so that covered a couple boxes of the CCI short CB's ... fired a couple off the back porch just for a test and wow they really are air gun quiet, havent shot it enough to speak on accuracy with them yet but hopefully will within the next few days .. how wrong is it that im considering putting a red dot sight on it? lol

how wrong is it that im considering putting a red dot sight on it? lol

Dude, if it works for you, go for it. Personally I would go a different route, but to each their own. If you were talking about drilling and tapping an original Henry, that would be a whole different story.

Congrats on an excellent pickup.

If you put a red dot on a lever action, John Wayne's ghost will rise up & kick you in the nutsack.

:D

As far as .22shorts accuracy in the Henry, I get exceptional groups out to 50yds. At 25-30 It'll shoot a 5 shot hole you can cover with a penny.

I have nothing but good things to say about Henry Repeating Arms. I'd part with my wife, truck & dogs before you get my Henry!

• Like 1
If you put a red dot on a lever action, John Wayne's ghost will rise up & kick you in the nutsack.

:D

As far as .22shorts accuracy in the Henry, I get exceptional groups out to 50yds. At 25-30 It'll shoot a 5 shot hole you can cover with a penny.

I have nothing but good things to say about Henry Repeating Arms. I'd part with my wife, truck & dogs before you get my Henry!

lol yeah something along those lines is what i was afraid of .. dont wanna piss off those old cowboys, as for the gun itself im loving it already.. and i know its been said about fifty million times but how smooth is that action?!?!?! i keep finding myself breaking it out and working the lever just to see if it REALLY felt as "right" as it did earlier or was i just crazy, i mean for the price point it cant be beat, i know the browning model is roughly twice the price, and im sure its an awesome rifle but i just cant imagine it being twice as good after handling the henry

ok finally got a few rounds through the henry today and im impressed at the accuracy even with the CCI .22 short CB's (although shooting at 20 yards may have helped a bit lol) it is now the first gun my wife and my 5 year old son have shot other than a pellet gun ... the group on the left is 20 rounds at 20 yards ... the group on the right is 3 rounds at 20 yards that my wife shot .. not bad for her first time .. oh yeah the targets are 3" for reference

edit: was actually 20 rounds total so 17 on the left and 3 on the right

henry.jpg

groupings20yds.jpg

jrwhenry.jpg

Edited by JoeJ615