S&W snub model?

Lumber_Jack

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was made after the 1950's open up the cylinder and the model number will be stamped on the crane where it meets the frame.

Post up some pics if you can.

If it's a pristine Model 36 PM me. I'll help you determine it's value. :hiding:

Haha, ok I have no idea of it's age but assume its not a rare vintage. Thanks for the info.

Guest Grubbah

You can email S&W directly with the serial number and they can get you the info you need, year, model, etc. I did that with the 38 snubby that I picked up a while back. no charge unless you want them to research the history of the weapon.

Is it a five or six round revolver? 38 Special or 38 S&W? Rounded front sight like half of a dime on it or a ramped/serriated front sight?

If it's a 6 round in 38 Special or 38 S&W with the rounded front sight then it's a S&W M&P (pre-model 10). Ramped & serriated front sight 6 round as already mentioned then it's a Model 10. The five round is either a Chief's Special J frame or a Model 36, unless it's a S&W Terrier. The Terrier look's like a Chief's Special but it's a little smaller and will be a 38 S&W.

Most likely 1973. The range for R prefixed Model 60's in that time frame is 1970-1973, R30001-R99999.

Thanks. That's close enough. Obviously I'm trying to value the gun for him or maybe buy it from him. Gunbroker has limited examples. You know a better place to find value. I don't have the blue book if guns.

What condition? Does it have the original grips? Box? Papers? In really good shape, with original box and paperwork, it'll go for upwards of $500.

its in real good condition. no scratches or dings, original grips, no box or papers. i'll try to get some pics to post

The box and papers believe it or not means a lot. I would say 450 is about max. I bought a rough model 36 for 275 out the door at a shop and had been there priced at 350 for months. I cant think of too many S&W snubs 38spl that would be that rare of a find.

The box and papers believe it or not means a lot. I would say 450 is about max. I bought a rough model 36 for 275 out the door at a shop and had been there priced at 350 for months. I cant think of too many S&W snubs 38spl that would be that rare of a find.

Yeah I know the box adds value, but it was inherited so there is no telling what happened to the box. I don't think he has any delusions of getting rich, just wants to fund a good semi-auto carry gun.

I agree with the $400-$425, maybe $450 if its is really nice. I picked up a pretty nice one for $400 OTD at a LGS recently without a box or tools, and felt like I was getting a pretty good deal. Having said all that, the model 60 is a desirable model.

Gun broker has hundreds of listings for them; you have to sign in to be able to search auctions that are completed.

Brand new in the box model 60’s (in .38) are listed with a starting bid of $549 and are ending with no bids. Bids stops around $350 on the used ones. There is one used one I see that sold for $450, but it was a 3†Lady Smith.

Model 60 is the King of the J-frames. Especially if you find one of the .357Mags. The guys wanting to resale it aren’t going to offer much more than $350. If he found someone that is specifically looking for a stainless J-frame, he could probably get $500. If he’s just looking for a trade, he should be able to trade it pretty easy for most any of the Tupperware guns, M&P, Glock, etc.

He needs to point out its best feature…. It’s not Aluminum, Titanium, or scandium…. It’s Stainless…. And Stainless is King. :(

32d Ed of Blue Book of Guns

[TABLE=class: text]

[TR]

[TD=class: black10bold]MODEL 60 .38 SPL. CHIEFS SPECIAL[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]- .38 S&W Spl., stainless version of Chiefs Special, 2 or 3 in. standard or full lug barrel. Disc. 1996.[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE=class: text, align: center]

[TR=class: black10bold, bgcolor: #eeeeee]

[TD=width: 30%, align: left]Grading[/TD]

[TD=width: 10%]100%[/TD]

[TD=width: 10%]98%[/TD]

[TD=width: 10%]95%[/TD]

[TD=width: 10%]90%[/TD]

[TD=width: 10%]80%[/TD]

[TD=width: 10%]70%[/TD]

[TD=width: 10%]60%[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left][/TD]

[TD]$450[/TD]

[TD]$350[/TD]

[TD]$300[/TD]

[TD]$250[/TD]

[TD]$200[/TD]

[TD]$150[/TD]

[TD]$120[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE=class: text]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]Last MSR was $458.[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: black10bold]Subtract $25 for 2 in. barrel.

Add 30% for early Model 60s without letter prefix and bright satin finish.[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]The full lug barrel option began in 1990 with limited mfg. It had been tested for +P ammo and features an adj. rear sight - 24 1/2 oz.

There were 18 engineering changes to the base model in two calibers.[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Thanks for all the help guys. I think if he could trade it a long way towards a M&P 9mm he would be happy. He doesn't have a lot of extra scratch so I was just trying to help him maximize his sale. I think a guy at Coal Creek told him it was worth $600, so it looks like I've got some 'bubble bursting' to do. :(

Graycrait has done his usual excellent job of locating and posting current bluebook price ranges on the S&W M-60 in question here. I will point out that these are merely recommendations or more precisely guidelines as store prices can and do often exceed these. Since this is your friend I’d say show him the information you have and ask him what he’ll take for the revolver? If it sounds reasonable to you then buy it, if not just pass on the deal another opportunity will come along later. From your description I’d say the M-60 is pretty darn close to 98% and since it’s a pinned barrel model I would suggest a $365.00 – $380.00 price range as being very fair to both of you.