Doomsday preppers false sense of security

Okay I have a question….. I’m not familiar with the way Tennessee does things but what these two nut cases are claiming happened; could not have happened in Illinois where I am familar with the law.

David Sarti is claiming that he was held in a metal institution for no reason and that a Judge released him, saying that there was no reason to hold him.

He now claims that he can’t buy a gun or that if he applied for a truck driver’s job they would see that he has been labeled a “mental defective†by the state. Is this correct, does the state of Tennessee allow this?

And if this happened, who entered this “Mental defective†status into the system. He’s claiming it’s in NCIC. I guess he’s claiming it’s there if he claiming the FBI stripped him of his gun rights.

Alex Jones: “What do you think about what I just said?â€

Alex I can’t believe I just spent nearly half an hour listening to you and our own home grow nut case having this conversation. smilielol5.gif

D Sarti: “Please send money.â€

Gee, I didn’t see that coming. rollfloor.gif

• Like 1

He is probably talking about what the regulations say regarding mental disabilities. He is jumping the gun a little bit and just fear mongering at this point. If you notice the last line it says this doesn't apply to those who are in an institution for observation, which he was.

For this to apply there must have been a hearing in order for him to be adjudicated as "mentally defective". And I guarantee that hasn't happened because like every other government office things move very, very slow.

He is just acting like an idiot, both now and on the show. He is trying to garner support and anything from Alex Jones, Prison Planet, Infowars or the like are fear mongers as well. They, as well as this guy, should not be taken at their word unless it can be verified through independent sources.

The Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA), 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(4), states that it "shall be unlawful for any person who has been adjudicated as a mental defective or who has been committed to a mental institution to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce, or possess in or affecting commerce, any firearm or ammunition; or to receive any firearm or ammunition which has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce."

Per 27 CFR 478.11, adjudicated as a mental defective is a determination by a court, board, commission, or other lawful authority that a person, as a result of a marked subnormal intelligence, or mental illness, incompetency, condition, or disease: (1) is a danger to himself or others; or (2) lacks the mental capacity to contract or manage his own affairs. Further, this term includes: (1) a finding of insanity by a court in a criminal case; and (2) those persons found incompetent to stand trial or found not guilty by reason of lack of mental responsibility.

A person is "committed to a mental institution" if that person has been formally committed to a mental institution by a court, board, commission, or other lawful authority. The term includes commitment for mental defectiveness or mental illness. It also includes commitments for other reasons, such as drug use. The term does not include a person in a mental institution for observation or a voluntary admission.

Again, this guy is jumping the gun and making a big deal about it might get him what he is complaining about.

Dolomite

There are some really motivated preppers out there there who probably have some psychological disorders. I would even go as far to say, some shouldn't own firearms due to the threat they pose during an emergency, one which doesn't call for shooting your neighbors because you thought they were zombies. By enlarge, the general pubic recognizes that "preparing" is a normal psychological response by some when dealing with the stresses of uncertainty, which would include economic uncertainty.

Edited by partypilot1
  • Like 1

Hey folks! I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or just continue this one but I've noticed something about the show that I'd like to discuss...

Each show usually has three families and each family seems to be preparing for only one particular "disaster"; super volcano, shift of the magnetic polls, pandemic, financial collapse, etc.

I've never even considered preparing for just "one" kind of event...am I being stupid or are these preappers on the show the dumb ones?

Starting about two years ago I've been preparing on a "scale" of most likely to least likely event; i.e...I consider it much more likely that my area will suffer a natural disaster than, say, an EMP from a nuclear weapon detonation. I'm not saying the EMP can't happen or that a complete financial collapse can't or won't happen; just that those problems are not the most likely scenarios.

My plans include "bugging in" and staying in place if I can but being prepared to bug out if the situation calls for it.

I realize that preparing for any specific situation is going to help you be prepared for any emergency but it seems to me you are at risk if you concentrate all or most of your efforts on just one kind of event.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts. :)

I agree bugging in would be the best bet. over 80% i asked sence 09 say were going to have a race war.

That's interesting...and it may well be true.

I've been more concerned about a "have" vs "have not" war/unrest/rioting than something based strictly on race (although there would almost certainly be a racial component to that as well).

Edited by RobertNashville
Guest Lester Weevils

Seems short-duration race riots would be more likely than "race war".

Nutty KKK and skinhead types, and nutty racist colored groups perennially predict "race war" but haven't seen any trend making it look more likely now than in the past. Charles Manson's nutty Helter Skelter plot was to spark a race war, hide in the desert until everybody kills each other off, then move back in and take over. A nutty plan which was as unrealistic as the "quick and easy invasion and democratization of Iraq". :) Timothy McVeigh's favorite book, The Turner Diaries, has the kitchen sink-- revolution, nuclear war, and race war wiping out all non-whites and non-christians. About as likely as Manson's Helter Skelter.

On the other hand, the usa has had short-duration race riots since the 19th century so it seems a safe bet that the USA has NOT seen the last of short-duration race riots. Unfortunately.

Riots between haves and have-nots seem likely. Am guessing that class riots would also be sporadic and short-duration, unless something in civilization crashes so bad that order can not be re-established.

There are MANY more white have-nots than non-white have-nots. MANY more whites on welfare&foodstamps than non-whites on welfare&foodstamps. Violent folks will mess you up regardless of skin color. I'm white and am not giving any color higher or lower odds of being dangerous. When I was living in downtown Atlanta back in the 1960's, the odds of getting my butt kicked by some crazy white guy was higher than getting my butt kicked by some crazy black guy. Though there were plenty of both kinds to be found, and the butt would hurt just as bad regardless of the race of the butt-kicker. :)

That's interesting...and it may well be true.

I've been more concerned about a "have" vs "have not" war/unrest/rioting than something based strictly on race (although there would almost certainly be a racial component to that as well).

As to your original question, I think it's more that their "chosen" apocalypse is just the one that got them to thinking or the one that they think is most likely to happen. That or the producers made them pick something to prepare for.

And I just tell people I am preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse. Anything else will be easy compared to that :)

On a side note, any reason why people look at me funny now? ;)

I agree bugging in would be the best bet. over 80% i asked sence 09 say were going to have a race war.

Between who?

Blacks and Hispanics are 12.6 and 16.3 % of US population respectively. Even if they join forces, whitey has quite the edge.

- OS

• Like 1

I watched it tonight with the guy shooting his thumb off.While Im watching it the guy is prepping for an EMP and next thing you know they jump in thier new jeep and drive off if the blast was close enough vehicle electronics could be affected so he might want to add that into his prepping plan

• Like 1
Guest gunrunner1979

I got a few good ideas from these shows, but you would never catch me showing all my stuff and ideas on national tv

Guest HvyMtl

Well, it seems these people are not as prepared as they think, the "experts" may or may not be giving them a good review, becuase we only see some overly general statements given to the "preppers" on camera. Additionally, the "experts" are unnamed.

Love the guy who is bugging in, in an apartment in NYC. I know he does not have $, or additional resources, to get his family out. He is a firefighter, he should know the apartment can burn real, real easy, and that is not discussed one bit. Nor does it show he has any prep for that likely senario. The tossing the glass in the apartment hallway? Lovely, I bet the muruaders do not have shoes. And no vehicle to bug out with, in case he needs to, as he has small children, incapable of walking out? Not discussed, but needed. It did show the issue with NO GUNS in NYC. He has knives, and swords, and stuff, which honestly, looked like he bought out of one of those "Asian Fantasy" themed stores in the mall. He may be had a few knives worth trusting with your life. The learning to fight lessons are a good idea.

Basically put, it is entertainment. However, the underlying info, can be helpful to those not informed. Again, these are the extreme edge types, who do not represent true "preppers" or the typical preparedness all should embrace.

The last show had a suburban commando nearly shoot his thumb off while he was target shooting with his kids. He put his hand over the barrel of a gun and claimed it misfired. Total dumbass.

That one had me rolling. Too funny.

Guest 270win

I watched this show briefly. The idea of having a metal bunker in the desert where it is hot and no water does not seem too bright. Get to know your neighbors in case there is a flood or tornado. We have had both recently in West TN. Neighbor helping neighbor. It would be a lot harder to get by out in the desert than in a good neighborhood where you know your neighbors and can help one another. Folks were sand bagging down on the Miss River and other creeks.

I think the show is entertaining, yes but I think it's useful too. At the very least, it can give us ideas about what other people are doing. After all, there is no "perfect" way to prepare for a disaster and I suspect that if something happens and we are in the middle of it. we'll all find out that we've done some things that work and some things that don't work! :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest adurbin

Yep, I saw this and frankly, laughed my rear off. Someone, or someone(s) are going to have a lot of free food on their hands when the SHTF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The hippies in Kansas with the missile silo actually have a real estate business selling them. It seems that some are using it as a plug for their business (guy with pool set up to grow fish etc..) and then others are just wanting to be on TV. On a side note, how come the weirdo with the spider holes claimed to be a former Marine and then called the kids he was "training" rangers?

The hippies in Kansas with the missile silo actually have a real estate business selling them. It seems that some are using it as a plug for their business (guy with pool set up to grow fish etc..) and then others are just wanting to be on TV. On a side note, how come the weirdo with the spider holes claimed to be a former Marine and then called the kids he was "training" rangers?

Because they were on land, had they been in the water they would be seals. :)

Seriously though this is one of the red flags of a phonie. I have ousted several over the years and have been 100% correct when my spidey sense kicks in. I absolutely hate those who cheapen the sacrifices of our heroes. And it seems like it is getting worse by the day. These people have helped me out as well:

http://www.pownetwork.org/

Funny part is people brag about being SF, SEAL, snipers, rangers, etc but none ever brag about being a cook, truck driver or supply. I have always had more sympathy for support MOS's because they can be assigned to a HSLD unit. Most HSLD soldiers volunteered for their assignments while most support guys didn't volunteer for their HSLD assignment. And without those support soldiers the HSLD soldiers couldn't function.

Dolomite

I give all the support guys a hard time but tell them the truth in the end, without them we couldn't function.

I feel sorry for the guys that try and imitate others, when your life is at a point that your making up stories to try and impress people or gain respect your in a bad place. Unfortunately most wont stop and take a serious look at who they really are and try and fix it.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I was flippin' channels and I figure I would give this show a try again. There's some guy casting in a crappy looking pot and they pitched a dirty wheel weight into a melt they were casting bullets from. [caster's already getting aggravated] Then I hear it. They plan to defend their ranch with a [and I quote] "Withering spray of gun fire"

.........HE WAS SHOOTING A RUGER NUMBER 1 FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And now I hear as I'm typing that despite the illegalities of it, he is on record practicing building pipe bombs. Well this idiot is getting a visit.

This show has done me one great courtesy. It reinforces my desire to bug in and wait for as many of these people to die as possible.

IMHO, this show is doing irreparable damage to the rest of us.

Edited by Caster

Okay, I was flippin' channels and I figure I would give this show a try again. There's some guy casting in a crappy looking pot and they pitched a dirty wheel weight into a melt they were casting bullets from. [caster's already getting aggravated] Then I hear it. They plan to defend their ranch with a [and I quote] "Withering spray of gun fire"

.........HE WAS SHOOTING A RUGER NUMBER 1 FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And now I hear as I'm typing that despite the illegalities of it, he is on record practicing building pipe bombs. Well this idiot is getting a visit.

This show has done me one great courtesy. It reinforces my desire to bug in and wait for as many of these people to die as possible.

IMHO, this show is doing irreparable damage to the rest of us.

I think the T.V. network just scouts out as many dumb folks as possible for this show. It is almost like they are trying to poke fun at preppers. The guy you are talking about actually has all his stuff stored under ground in a shipping container. He simply has a small shed built over the entrance and a wood door that he built himself. He has wine, food, and lots of guns in there. That is fine and dandy, but he just broadcasted to the whole United States that he has all his stuff stashed there. This is a HUGE flag that says "come rob me". When are these folks going to learn that part of preparing for such a disaster, whether it be economic or otherwise, is that you keep it to yourself? The last thing you want is for every person in town to come knocking at your door. In a desparate sitiuation ordinary people will be nice at first, but they will become animals once starvation sets in. I watch the show because I get a couple good ideas from it every now and then, but that's it.

The show is also creating a whole new class of preppers that will undoubtedly make a run for the store and start buying survival goods, etc. Which will cause huge price increases in said goods. I have a small food and water stash, along with the necessary tools and supplies for survival. My main plan is to simply live off the land. There are plenty of small animals and water springs in East Tennessee to supply my family of three for a while. You can only stash so much before eventually having to do what people in the old days done, which is hunt their own food. I have military training and my wife and I were taught how to hunt, fish, and grow food from the time we were children. We'll be fine. The main means of survival for us will be banding up with a large group of people to increase security and provide more means of gathering and storing food. Community will be extremely important. The only thing I am worried about is those city slickers and hood rats that think the grocery store is their only means of survival. They won't have a grocery store anymore, so they'll try to take it from others.

I think the T.V. network just scouts out as many dumb folks as possible for this show. It is almost like they are trying to poke fun at preppers. The guy you are talking about actually has all his stuff stored under ground in a shipping container. He simply has a small shed built over the entrance and a wood door that he built himself. He has wine, food, and lots of guns in there. That is fine and dandy, but he just broadcasted to the whole United States that he has all his stuff stashed there. This is a HUGE flag that says "come rob me". When are these folks going to learn that part of preparing for such a disaster, whether it be economic or otherwise, is that you keep it to yourself? The last thing you want is for every person in town to come knocking at your door. In a desparate sitiuation ordinary people will be nice at first, but they will become animals once starvation sets in. I watch the show because I get a couple good ideas from it every now and then, but that's it.

The show is also creating a whole new class of preppers that will undoubtedly make a run for the store and start buying survival goods, etc. Which will cause huge price increases in said goods. I have a small food and water stash, along with the necessary tools and supplies for survival. My main plan is to simply live off the land. There are plenty of small animals and water springs in East Tennessee to supply my family of three for a while. You can only stash so much before eventually having to do what people in the old days done, which is hunt their own food. I have military training and my wife and I were taught how to hunt, fish, and grow food from the time we were children. We'll be fine. The main means of survival for us will be banding up with a large group of people to increase security and provide more means of gathering and storing food. Community will be extremely important. The only thing I am worried about is those city slickers and hood rats that think the grocery store is their only means of survival. They won't have a grocery store anymore, so they'll try to take it from others.

A couple of questions on your plan.

Do you own the land you are planning to hunt?

Are you already living on that land?

Reason I ask is there are plenty of people who plan on bugging out and I wonder where. Most of them say they plan to head to the hills which is a huge problem because there are already people in those hills. And those people are going to defend their location or at least I know I will. And don't expect others to openly welcome a large group of people. I know I won;t welcome anyone unless they bring a significant skill to the group and honestly I can't imagine what that skill might be that isn't already covered.

It takes a lot of land to support a person year around. An acre or two isn't going to cut it. It will likely take 10's of acres per person.

Dolomite