AK Information requested

hipower

Ok, I'm thinking of getting an AK. Two have caught my interest. A Saiga that is stock, no conversion parts; and a Romanian Wasr, also stock form. Both in 7.62 x 39. Each appeal to me in a different fashion. The Wasr is about 100 higher and seems to balance a littler better for me. Don't really know enough about either to be conversant on them, just looking for some comments for guys who know and own them..

I don't have an interest at this time in any heavy changes in either one. Would keep them as is for the time being. Interest in any comments on cost, features, durability, mag costs, just about anything you'd have to say about them will be appreciated.

Thanks.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Revelator

Between the two I'd go Wazzer. Most people will say Saiga because it's authentic Russian, but if the Romanian is well-built it's just as good. With the WASR you won't have to convert it or add the bullet guide, so it's ready to take the indestructible cheap steel mags, which you should buy plenty of.

I'd vote for the WASR as well.

Shortly we will see a flood of opinions here on how the WASR is junk and how Century Arms guns suck. I fella I know just about one a couple of months ago and it runs like a champ with straight sights that were right-on from the factory.

Now, if your budget is higher than the $350-$450 those two fall into then the sky's the limit.

Edited by Garufa

Id go for the Saiga about $500. if you do the conversion. I bought the 5.45 amd run regular AK Mags in mine from day one even before the conversion. I understand you have to put a bullet guide in for the 7.62X39 it is not expensive though.

I took a long time before I did the conversion and shooting the rifle was not that bad. After you shoot the conversion with the Tapco G2 trigger it becomes amazing. I have seen some nice WASR's as of late. I just can't buy anything else Century because of the Tantal and the CETME. Two rifles they realy screwed up and won't stand behind. I said to myself never again.

If you are going to go with out the box and no modifications, I would suggest the WASR. It will eat from the cheapest steel magazines you can find anywhere. The Saiga is the better rifle of the two, sight unseen, however it requires proprietary magazines that aren't as easy to find, or cheap as regular steel AK magazines.

If you intended to convert the Saiga, then it would be a different story.

For evaluation I have owned a Romanian kit gun (basically a WASR) and an Arsenal. For my next rifle on the AK platform, I am leaning heavily toward a Saiga build.

It's kinda of apples and oranges. The Saiga is a far better gun in every respect, but it's in a different form. You can get one of the new Saiga IZH-332 that has the front end already converted for less than a WASR. Which makes a full on conversion a LOT easier if you decide to go that route down the road.

IZ132MODEL2.jpg

or you can get a Saiga IZH-132 tha already has the back end converted. Cost about the same as a WASR.

WA%201Z132C.jpg

Let me know when you are coming by the shop and you can see the difference in a converted Saiga (the IZH-332) and a WASR.

Guest The Dude

Keep in mind that you cannot use standard AK mags in a non-converted Saiga. You have to use Saiga specific mags.

that mainly depends on if the trunion is round or flat. round ones can run mil spec mags without a bullet guide, or have been known to. but would be best to have a bg should feeding problems develop.

Guest bkelm18

When did they start importing the ones with the back in already done? Did the BATFE finally through in the towel on the the dumbest rule known to man, 922r?

They are converted once they arrive here. They are still imported as "sporter" rifles.

Guest bkelm18

that mainly depends on if the trunion is round or flat. round ones can run mil spec mags without a bullet guide, or have been known to. but would be best to have a bg should feeding problems develop.

You still have to modify the mag catch. So if you're going to go through the trouble of it you might as well install the bullet guide.

Thanks for the continuing information, guys. I was leaning toward the Wasr. It does feel a little better to me; as it seems to balance better and on looks alone, seems a little sturdier and better finish than the Saiga I've looked at. I'll have to get the model numbers of each to do some more research on them.

Smith, I'll get with you at the store and try to pick your brain, if you don't mind.

Saiga. Either converted or unconverted.

I've owned a WASR as well, hell it was my first AK of many. No issues with it and ate everything. Installing a bullet guide and trimming the mag catch is a 15 minute job and is about $20, then the Saiga can accept any AK mag. I have not converted mine though I plan to, but I've donthe bulletguide and mag catch so I still can use the 10,20,30 rnd mags with the rifle.

Getting a Saiga and being able to "work" on it may be intimidating to you but the ultimate satisfation of converting your own is glorious in it's own right.

OK. Thanks to all. I bought the Saiga today. Not knowing what I might do to it, or even if, I only bought one extra mag for it. Weather permitting, I'll try it out this weekend.

Did you buy it over in the hood????? When you get ready to convert it take a look at Carolina Shooters Supply.

OK. Thanks to all. I bought the Saiga today. Not knowing what I might do to it, or even if, I only bought one extra mag for it. Weather permitting, I'll try it out this weekend.

Congratulations! I love mine! If you don't do anything else to it, upgrade to a double hook trigger. Really improves the trigger group!

Did you buy it over in the hood????? When you get ready to convert it take a look at Carolina Shooters Supply.

I can't recommend them highly enough! Great service!

Not the most intuitative about changing things around. I may or may not do any converting to it. We will see. After doing a little more looking, I found a fully converted Saiga for not much difference in price. Almost find myself thinking of buying it and offerreing the unconverted for sale. Or maybe just keep it as is. Hey, I never said I could stick to one thing at a time.

I can't recommend them highly enough! Great service!

Yeah, the hood is a great place to pick up stuff off the record. I've found some great deals in the trunk of 70's Caddy's! J/K :)

Carolina is great to deal with. Pick up just about everything there.

I'm also looking for an AK 47 with wood furniture, 7.62 with straight stock. Can't find anything around Chattanooga, looks like I will have to buy off the net. Can anyone help with a good website to buy off?

I would rather see what I'm buying but can't find anything local. Atlantic Arms has one made by IO inc. Inter Ordnance, that looks good, any feedback would help. http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct1057.aspx

Edited by crossfire