Don't think this is how the "stand your ground law" works

Guest peacexxl

...He said on the 911 call that Treyvon was running. The operator asks if he is following. Zimmerman says "yes". Following a person that is running away equates to pursuit. Zimmerman appears to comply with the operators request to cease pursuit, but that is not a fact just yet that he did comply. It's just as possible that he blew off the operator as if he walked back to his truck.

So it's not a fact (and I agree that it isn't) that Zimmerman complied with the operators request but you see no disconnect in your assumption that Zimmerman was "pursuing" Martin???

You seem very willing to accept any bit of information that implies wrongdoing on the part of Zimmerman and very slow at best to accept anything that might exonerate him. However, I suppose that shouldn't be a surprise - that's been true of your assessment since the beginning.

Edited by RobertNashville
  • Like 1

I think I was the one who interjected bias into the mix, and I didn't consider it as an affront. Just my

opinion, ET. I also don't know what kind of charge he will be hit with, if any.

I thought your points on racism were well made. I just consider the use of the word to be over used

and the nature of the beast is usually, at least in this day and age, could be better served by stopping

the baiters from accusing it at every opportunity. It's getting to the point that "they", meaning Jackson

and Sharpton, have to look harder each time, and I think they picked the wrong situation to use it this

time. It's ironic that one class is accused of racism and you almost never hear it used with another.

Your point about using the words "they" or "them" is a possibility I never considered. I guess I should be

more careful in my usage of those words to not be construed as a racist.

Your point about assumptions is as good as any. Assumptions usually are ill founded unless they are

based on something bearing intelligence. Stereotyping usually gets anyone in trouble. What used to

be just innocent humor is now considered sinful.

Reminds me of a joke about this by Bob Alper. He goes around to all his families and friends during

Yom Kippur and says,"If there's anything I've said about you or to you that has hurt you or offended

you, you're too sensitive".

His joking referral to atonement. He's a funny Rabbi.

Yup!

Set to the rhythm of Katrina and The Waves song "Walking On Sunshine"

I'm walking on eggshells , wooah

I'm walking on eggshells, woooah

I'm walking on eggshells, woooah

and don't it feel good!!

Hey , alright now

and dont it feel good!!

hey yeh

NO! It DON'T feel good. Some people have thin skin, and they need to get over it, not the ones telling the truth. The truth hurts as they say.

• Like 2
Guest 6.8 AR

If you want to consider my general comments about bias, prejudice, and racism as a personal affront, was not my intent, nor was it meant specifically as a criticism against anyone in particular. People are making blanket statements about race, wondering why others are getting wound up over it, then get wound up over my comments pointing out the problems associated with blanket statements and where they come from. If folks want to keep talking about "them" and how "they" are bad people because "they are all" the same, then enjoy the discussion. Just don't be surprised when nothing changes in this world when it comes to race relations. These comments are not any different than the ones made about whites by Sharpton or Jackson. It's simply inaccurate and nonconstructive to stereotype people in society.

The trouble with this whole thing is that we have allowed the word "racism" to become part of a narrative

and that without it, and it being taught to become sensitive to it, makes us all bad. It would be better served

to teach the consequences of being led down a path of tyranny and show the tactics used by certain parts

of political and philosophical ideas to twist things into being mainstream. You've read Ayn Rand. I think you

know what I'm saying.

Racism is just a convenient way to control peoples' thoughts and bend them into another way of acting

by sending them down a different narrative. It defies reason and logic. It punishes existence and replaces

rational thought with a different, non-rational way of living life.

Bias and prejudice are reasonable as they are tools to guide humans through life. Racism, being attached

to this is nonproductive and solves nothing. It is a symptom of political machinations. An over used word.

The race baiters eventually go away. I wish they would leave quicker.

Edited by 6.8 AR

Good grief folks! A guy can't make any contribution to this thread without everyone going nuts and getting their panties in a wad. Go ahead and believe what you want about the law. If you don't want to listen to a guy who worked as a LEO in the very state this event took place, investigated several felony cases of battery, and trained new cops on the law, that's fine. We shall see what the grand jury says and that will be that. However, I assure you that in most places in this country, if you shoot someone just because they are punching you in the face, you are likely to be charged with manslaughter. Massad Ayoob runs down these sorts of scenarios all the time, and gun owners choose to ignore the reality of the law because they disagree with it in principle. If you want to take that gamble, have at it.

If you want to consider my general comments about bias, prejudice, and racism as a personal affront, was not my intent, nor was it meant specifically as a criticism against anyone in particular. People are making blanket statements about race, wondering why others are getting wound up over it, then get wound up over my comments pointing out the problems associated with blanket statements and where they come from. If folks want to keep talking about "them" and how "they" are bad people because "they are all" the same, then enjoy the discussion. Just don't be surprised when nothing changes in this world when it comes to race relations. These comments are not any different than the ones made about whites by Sharpton or Jackson. It's simply inaccurate and nonconstructive to stereotype people in society.

As of 11:46 this am, the Grand Jury will not be looking at this case.

http://news.blogs.cn...tion/?hpt=hp_t1

Edited by bubbiesdad
Guest 6.8 AR

I'd be willing to bet there will be no charges against Zimmerman, based on evidence. Corey doesn't think it

needs a Grand Jury. I wonder what she thinks about the original DA's conclusion. I wonder if she really thinks

if she was even needed to come to this?

Guest 6.8 AR

This thread is still going!? With over 1000 post and it's still in the same place. I guess the power of the interent to solve all problems has not arrived in this thread :)

Ah, but it's fun!

I'd be willing to bet there will be no charges against Zimmerman, based on evidence. Corey doesn't think it

needs a Grand Jury. I wonder what she thinks about the original DA's conclusion. I wonder if she really thinks

if she was even needed to come to this?

There's no Grand Jury because they may rule the wrong way. She needs to bypass that little deal, and continue the witch hunt

• Like 1

No grand jury reads to me that the prosecutor figures there would be no charges from them.

I guess now the DA or someone higher up will decide to prefer charges and take the chance of getting stomped in court.

I assume the gov't down there is hopeful a trial will appease the masses even if not guilty might be the outcome.

Without going to the grand jury, the case tops out. The district attorney may not prefer capital charges, such as murder. I read somewhere (and need to confirm) that under Florida law, without going through the Grand Jury, the highest charges that can be preferred would be . . . manslaughter?

I wonder if that's going to satisfy the attention-whores Sharpton, Jackson and Crump. How WILL they conduct their media circus?

Without going to the grand jury, the case tops out. The district attorney may not prefer capital charges, such as murder. I read somewhere (and need to confirm) that under Florida law, without going through the Grand Jury, the highest charges that can be preferred would be . . . manslaughter?

I wonder if that's going to satisfy the attention-whores Sharpton, Jackson and Crump. How WILL they conduct their media circus?

It's not murder anyway, no matter how you slice it. Good info

So it's not a fact (and I agree that it isn't) that Zimmerman complied with the operators request but you see no disconnect in your assumption that Zimmerman was "pursuing" Martin???

You seem very willing to accept any bit of information that implies wrongdoing on the part of Zimmerman and very slow at best to accept anything that might exonerate him. However, I suppose that shouldn't be a surprise - that's been true of your assessment since the beginning.

So what? That's my opinion. Why does that bother you so much? Did daddy not come to your baseball games when you were a kid? Is that where this insecurity comes from that you can't handle people having a different opinion than yours? If my opinion is such an affront to you because it challenges yours then you need to talk to a shrink and figure out why that is.

• Like 2
Guest Lester Weevils

Maybe they will charge Zimmerman with stalking. :)

I know you are joking, but there's no way it would fit the legal definition of stalking. Stalking requires repeated behavior, not a one-time event. Regardless whether it fits a legal definition, if you are walking down the road and some fella is following you then "stalking" might be the term that pops in yer head. If a hunter is stalking a deer or turkey, then if the hunter is any good it is a one-time event and wouldn't fit the legal definition.