Quandary... stay with the HK P2000 .40SW or go Glock 19 9mm?

• Administrator

You read it right. I am having a bit of trouble deciding which way to go here. So let me state the facts right off the bat so that you can help me make the right decision.

HK P2000 .40SW DA/SA

• Same size as the Glock 19
  • Has a heavy DA trigger which makes it "safer"
  • Typical Germanic over-engineering for durability
  • Adjustable grip swells, but I stick with Medium anyway so that's moot
  • I'm not as good of a shot with it as I am the Glock
  • I hate the long reset of the P2000 trigger. It is not intuitive for me at all.
  • My grip style tends to make my strong thumb ride the slide release, preventing slide lock back on empty.
  • .40SW target ammo is about $10 more per 100rds than 9mm target

Glock 19 9mm

• Same size as the HK P2000
  • Striker-fired means the trigger pull is the same all the time
  • Trigger safety is arguably not much of a safety at all (see: Glock Leg)
  • Simplicity of design makes it rugged as hell also
  • Grip is non adjustable but fits me perfectly
  • I shoot 10x better with the Glock than I do the HK.
  • Trigger reset is perfect to me. Very fast, controlled, accurate follow-up shots.
  • I can buy three boxes of 9mm target ammo for every two boxes I buy of .40SW target ammo
  • I really don't buy into the idea that .40SW is more effective than 9mm for the vast majority of self defense shootings
  • Parts for the Glock are plentiful and cheap.
  • You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Glock armorer.

Basically it amounts to this: If I get the Glock I am not going to keep the HK. I just don't see having one solitary .40SW handgun in the mix when I would likely never carry or shoot it, favoring the Glock instead for both.

But admittedly the "Gun Snob" in me says that the HK is the "better" firearm even though that goes against conventional wisdom that says the better firearm is the one you shoot the most and shoot the most accurately. For me, that would be the Glock.

Thoughts?

PS: I'm loving my MacBook too. :up:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the P2000 .40 in V3 and also the Glock 19. These two are my primary CCW choices. I am keeping both. I want at least 1 .40 in my small collection of pistols and my HK is the one. It is the most accurate, smooth shooting .40 I have owned. I will not sell it or trade it.

With that being said, if I were in your shoes and was wanting one of these two choices and was going to sell the other I would pick the Glock 19. It is everything the HK is, but lighter, with more rounds.

I know capacity is no issue here but better to have those extra 3 rounds in the same size gun, and not ever need them, than to need them and not have. Especially with today's "pack-mentality" among the bad guys. The Glock is more user friendly as far as being able to replace springs, and other parts.

I have learned to detail strip mine and have done so several times, and I can't do that with the HK. Believe me if I can detail strip one it's not that hard to do! I can't do anything to fix the HK on my own if something breaks.

Like you said too...the same trigger pull every single time with that sweet Glock reset is perfect.

Glock mags are cheaper and they are everywhere.

Guest mikedwood

Dunno about the HK but it looks like you personally have several issues with it. And it looks like you love the Glock.

I have a G19 and I love it, it has never disappointed me for even a second after about 1,500 rounds. I did have FTF on the 1st 3 mags I shot with it out of the box, not a single one after that. I have ran the 33 round mags on it with no issues also.

Hmmm...just because something costs more does not mean it is always better.

I also hate long double action first shot trigger pulls and long resets.

9mm ammo is much cheaper, but I sometimes worry about its future availibility if Clinton or Obama gets elected. One of Bill's favorite ideas was to ban or heavily tax the most common types of ammo used in crimes, and, you guessed it, 9mm was always right up there. Instead of switching everything to one caliber, I plan on keeping .40 and 9mm around, kinda like not putting all my eggs in one basket.

The Glock trigger is very similar to an M&P or an XD. When you draw, don't touch the trigger until the gun has cleared the holster and is pointed downrange, and it won't matter what you carry. Trigger safeties and grip safeties don't help a bit if the shooter pulls the trigger before the gun leaves the holster. As for reholstering without snagging your shirt, this is solved by simply looking before reholstering.

my $.02.

Guest sling

How about just ditching the P2000 and purchasing a USPc in 9mm...

Personally, i hate glocks. In my eyes they're over rated but go with whatever feels right for you. +1 on choosing a 9mm though! :up:

Guest bigbuck_tn

You can add the NY-1 or NY-2 trigger springs and make the Glock "safer" like the HK while retaining the reset.

Given equal reliability I always go with what I can shoot better. All the top brands are basically the same when it comes to reliability. Some are just better than others at marketing.

If you can shoot the G19 that much better, I would definitely make the switch.

I'm not as good of a shot with it as I am the Glock

If this is for a carry gun, that should be the end of debate right there...no matter how much nicer the other gun may be. I too dropped carrying my HK's in favor of Glocks. I felt like I was in sin doing so...but at the end of the day..God forbid you should ever have to use it...if you only got a chance to place one hit..wouldnt you want the pistol that you know your gonna hit with and not have to think about a Double pull on the first shot. I personally wouldn't carry a pistol that isn't striker fired or can be carried C&L...period.

Edited by PaiMei
  • Administrator

I was explaining to my wife just a few minutes ago that I had always been of the mentality that carrying a .40SW meant carrying a better defensive round (compared to the 9mm) and that it allowed me more capacity (than my 1911s). If I wanted to shoot cheap, I'd shoot my 9mm at the range.

The problems with that way of thinking have been:

1. She hogs my 9mm right now ;) because she doesn't have one of her own, thus forcing me to shoot the guns with more expensive ammo

2. I'm practicing way more with guns that I *don't* carry than with the ones that I do when I shoot the 1911s and forsake the .40SW HK (because I don't enjoy shooting it as much).

If the P2000 was the 9mm V3, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion right now. I'd force myself to adjust to it's characteristic quirks and be happily shooting cheaper ammo for practice and carrying Gold Dots for self-defense, but in the same gun.

Really not feeling the argument that 9mm will get taxed out the ceiling with a change at the White House just because it's popular. I think we'll see all ammo get taxed heavily if Clinton or Obama win, along with other sweeping anti-gun changes. 9mm NATO will always be plentiful.

Decisions, decisions.

It was a P2000 9mm that i dropped in favor of the G19. You could try going to a LEM system, but it still has a reset you could drive a truck through. At least though...youd have a consistent pull. If the 8 pound LEM trigger is too tough (which I think it is) you can have it put down to 5lbs via a simple spring swap.

Just swap out the slide release, put on a better mag catch and get some good sites and your good to go. Supposedly the Gen 4 19's will have an ambi release..(helps for us HK guys,) but well see if that happens

• I shoot 10x better with the Glock than I do the HK.

That pretty much says it all doesn't it? Sounds like you answered your own question. Besides, I am only going to say "I told you so" once!;)

Guest Halfpint

I have to agree with everyone else so far . . . I'm a big fan of H&K but if the Glock works better for you, I say go with it.