How many magazines?

dbla

This is great guys, lots of info. I think that I want to add one more to my "glock-based" system probably a 19 at some point so that I can double up on magazines between that and my 26. I'll need to get a few extras for the rest, but maybe once they come down in price some. Three walther mags would be half as much as the gun was.

I like having anywhere from 5-10 mags per handgun, but with mag prices it is kinda hard.Therefore since long ago when I find mags for a good price I buy them even if I don't own the pistol for it. Ofcourse they are mags for guns I am willing to buy one day.

For hanguns, I generally think that 5 is the minimum. For the guns I shoot most often, I have a lot more than that. I think that I have several dozen CZ-75 mags. Keep in mind that it is entirely possible that mags for your favorite pistol may be unavailable or vastly more expensive in the future.

I have some collector handguns that I also shoot. I prefer to use non-matching or aftermarket mags in order to not risk damage to the original serial number matching mags. An original wooden-bottom, serial numbered pre-WWI Luger mag that matches your pistol is not something to take chances with.

For new guns, a bit of shopping can sometimes lead to a pretty good savings in mag costs. Google found several places with Walther PPS mags for under $50 each. One source had 9mm 8rd mags for $38!

For hanguns, I generally think that 5 is the minimum. For the guns I shoot most often, I have a lot more than that. I think that I have several dozen CZ-75 mags. Keep in mind that it is entirely possible that mags for your favorite pistol may be unavailable or vastly more expensive in the future.

I have some collector handguns that I also shoot. I prefer to use non-matching or aftermarket mags in order to not risk damage to the original serial number matching mags. An original wooden-bottom, serial numbered pre-WWI Luger mag that matches your pistol is not something to take chances with.

For new guns, a bit of shopping can sometimes lead to a pretty good savings in mag costs. Google found several places with Walther PPS mags for under $50 each. One source had 9mm 8rd mags for $38!

PPQ, not S mags... and after a little research apparently I can use MecGar Baby Eagle mags of a certain variety, looks like they're 27$+shipping right now. Have to nab a couple after this next paycheck.

-a

I'd say as many as you can manage, with 10 being a good ceiling. For AR's, AK's and such it's easy. For guns with pricier mags you have to do it over time.

If a gun is purely a range toy I could see not bothering with more than 2 or 3.

I currently own a G34, and G26 (among others) and I have 3 G17 mags, and 3G26 mags. I plan to purchase the G17, and the G19 in the future, and to make all new mags compatible with all my 9mm Glocks, all new mag purchases for me will be 33 rnd glock mags, or G17 (17 round mags). This way no matter which 9mm glock I want/need to shoot, all my new mags will fit.

I'll feel more comfortable once I have 10+ mags of the 17 round and/or 33 round variety.

Edited by JGunner
Guest FIST

Get what you need for you. If you don't mind reloading while at the range just pick some up as you find the right deal (example, Here in Clarksville, one LGS has M&P mags for 25 each, every other LGS is full price at about 40 per). For carry use I would argue that if you need to fire more than a single magazine that you have possibly stopped "defending" your self; but the situation will dictate. If you feel you have enough for self defense then anything added after would just be a plus. For SHTF I believe you will have what you have when/if and will work with what you got. Even if you have 10/20/30 of each firearm, you need to decide how many you will carry, how, and why. Try loading a ruck up, full kit, weapons and go walk around the woods for awhile and you may find that 12 mags for a rifle and 5 for a handgun are a little much or maybe not enough.

Don't get caught on any one brand of magazine either, there are some non factory magazines available that work just as well as stock ones at a reasonable price. I know P-Mags are nice and neat but a GI magazine with an upgraded follower (the new tan issued ones work great) are an option that may fit your budget and needs well. Ultimately for me, I buy magazines as I find them but I will never put a limit on an amount on hand.

I currently have 11 for my AK and the 3 that came with my Gen 4 Glock 26. . each with the +2 Pierce extentions (which are really only +1 at least for now but according to the company they will eventually hold 12 once broken in) and 4 factory 15 rounders for my Ruger p95 and 2 10 rounders. I dont think you can have too many. . but I would place more emphasis on quality than quantity. . I'd rather have 3 mags that I know will run than a 100 that are questionable in either fit, function or durability. . .

My handguns have a minimum of five magazines. If you like milsurp make sure you buy as many mags as you can fast, in case they dry up.

I have about twenty AR mags laying around, you can never have too many of those.

Right now I'm struggling to find enough Ak74 magazines to feed my tantal. I got into the 5.45 game late and the milsurp mags have pretty much all dried up. Mags that cost 10-15 bucks a year or two ago are selling for 25-40 or more now. :(

Guest Lester Weevils

Only thing I have that uses .223 AR-style mags at the moment is a PLR-16 pistol. Maybe lots of .223 guns are picky about mags but the PLR-16 may be "somewhat picky" or maybe just "par for the course". The 10 rd factory mag works and a generic 30 rd steel mag the dealer gave me "free" was a jam-o-matic on the PLR-16 but maybe that particular steel mag would be a jam-o-matic on any AR. Dunno.

Got three 30rd PMags with the little plastic windows to see the ammo level. They work great in the PLR-16. In the past mentioned it and got some replies like, "If you really want a good mag get brand X". The PMags are not spensive and seem to work fine on the one gun. If wanting to get a few more, would PMags be about as good as any at being "future compatible" with future AR's I might buy? Or would some other brand be "even more gooder" as the best odds of working good in about anything that uses that AR style of mag?

However many you can afford. Magazines are a consumable item. They wear out, break, and stop working.

Better to have enough.

True, but for those of us who remember the Clinton years with the hi cap ban, those mags you take for granted during the ban' a glock 17 mag if you could buy one $75-100. if it happens again i am sure there will be no sun set with it. Wal-mart stop saling pistols and could only get a P.C. rifle. but with the AR platform selling so well now Wal-mart selling them.so who knows. AR mags i have no idea how many, lots, new in rapper for the pistols for most at least 5 but we use are pistols alot in the action shooting sports so 1 pistol may have up to 15 in groups of 5 with different set up's.

Only thing I have that uses .223 AR-style mags at the moment is a PLR-16 pistol. Maybe lots of .223 guns are picky about mags but the PLR-16 may be "somewhat picky" or maybe just "par for the course". The 10 rd factory mag works and a generic 30 rd steel mag the dealer gave me "free" was a jam-o-matic on the PLR-16 but maybe that particular steel mag would be a jam-o-matic on any AR. Dunno.

Got three 30rd PMags with the little plastic windows to see the ammo level. They work great in the PLR-16. In the past mentioned it and got some replies like, "If you really want a good mag get brand X". The PMags are not spensive and seem to work fine on the one gun. If wanting to get a few more, would PMags be about as good as any at being "future compatible" with future AR's I might buy? Or would some other brand be "even more gooder" as the best odds of working good in about anything that uses that AR style of mag?

PMAG's are good to go.

True, but for those of us who remember the Clinton years with the hi cap ban, those mags you take for granted during the ban' a glock 17 mag if you could buy one $75-100. if it happens again i am sure there will be no sun set with it. Wal-mart stop saling pistols and could only get a P.C. rifle. but with the AR platform selling so well now Wal-mart selling them.so who knows. AR mags i have no idea how many, lots, new in rapper for the pistols for most at least 5 but we use are pistols alot in the action shooting sports so 1 pistol may have up to 15 in groups of 5 with different set up's.

I don't know what you are trying to say.

Mike

Made me think of the time I bought 20 of the 33 round mags for the g19. Also picked up 10 of them for the G23. Don't really know why I need that many, but it must have been a good deal, lol.

PMAG's are good to go.

I don't know what you are trying to say.

Mike

just that during the ban you could not let a mag wear out! they could not be replaced! what we all call wore out today would still be very high$$$ then and in future if it happens again. nothing was disposable.

a hi cap mag body was = to a gold bar I wish i was joking.

sorry if there any misunderstanding.