FN Five seveN- Thoughts?

Welcome to TGO.

I own a Five Seven, and it is a really neat gun. It is very light even when loaded with 20 rds, and has very little recoil. Overall, it is a good defensive pistol.

It's a nasty little round that will do some damage. Not sure if I would want to carry one though due to it's ability to penetrate and keep going.

That's what I've been told at least (sorry for the double post). Edited by gjohnsoniv

Not sure if I would want to carry one though due to it's ability to penetrate and keep going.

That is a common misconception with the 5.7 round. It, in fact, does not overpenetrate. Quite the opposite, actually. As stated above, the bullet starts to tumble when it hits something, thereby dumping most of its energy into the target, making overpenetration highly unlikely.

I specifically chose the Five Seven as my home defense gun, as I live in a townhouse and don't want any missed rounds going into my neighbor's place.

Five-Seven is a decent gun, fun to shoot, very accurate. Mine has some problems with light strikes, not sure if it is the gun or the ammo (FN Blue Tipped practice rounds) The bullet is pretty soft and when shooting at phone books they don't penetrate through the phone book. They make frangable ammo for it if over penetration is a concern of yours. I use mine just for target shooting, as I have others I trust more for home defense. On the other hand since it is soo light, it is the only handgun I have that my wife entertains the use of.

Guest BungieCord

I bought one just because it would tick off Barbra Boxer, Nancy Pelosilly and Sarah Brady. I love the ergos and it's a blast to shoot, low recoil & high magazine capacity, but it's not the first handgun I'd pick up to answer the proverbial bump in the night.

I think it's important to remember this cartridge was created specifically for a 900 RPM fully-automatic personal defense weapon with a 50-round magazine and a 10" barrel. Halve the barrel length, make it semiauto and scale back the magazine to 20 rounds and you have to wonder if it still qualifies as "adequate" for PD/SD.

The Five-seveN only was created because FN thought there might be a market for a sidearm that chambered the same cartridge as their PDW. I am fair certain if there'd never been a P90, they'd never have considered anything so marginal as the Five-seveN.

For my part, I wish now I'd spent the same money to get another EBR.

The Five-seveN only was created because FN thought there might be a market for a sidearm that chambered the same cartridge as their PDW.

I thought the Five-seveN was a design requested by foreign police / military to replace their 9mm handguns?

Either way Top Shot / Top Guns made me want one.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

I thought the Five-seveN was a design requested by foreign police / military to replace their 9mm handguns?

Either way Top Shot / Top Guns made me want one.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

I think it was an answer to the idea of "is it better to have a pistol or a carbine in place of the pistol to take longer shots," Like when they would issue some police officers in rural areas M1 carbines.

It's a great looking pistol that is more like something out of a science fiction movie than the real deal. The only thing's stopping you from buying one are avalibility and you, so if you really want one than buy it. There are lot's of pistols and rifles that are uber cool but most of us will never purchase because of other priorities or things we'd rather have. For me the FN Five seveN is one of the pistol's I like but choose not to buy. You though are one of thoses who want the fifty-7 so get one and have fun with it because you can.

Large, bulky pistol with LOUD muzzle blast. Marginally better ballistics than a .22Mag from the same barrel length. I'd like to see a comparison between the FiveseveN and the Keltec PMR-30. The FN holds 20rds, and the Keltec holds 30. Weight and size are very similar.

I'd like to see a comparison between the FiveseveN and the Keltec PMR-30.

I'd like to see it too, except I don't believe that PMR-30's really exist outside of pictures in gun mags. With that said I like my FiveSeven very much. It's reliable, accurate and easy to shoot. Ammo is not too expensive (.40/round) if you're willing to do your research and price shop.

Oh, look! With just a few keystrokes I found some in stock for sale!

http://www.google.co...ed=0CIYBEPMCMAA

They all say they are out of stock. PMR-30's are difficult to find. Kel-Tec just doesn't have the production capacity get these guns (or any of their guns) out on the market in real numbers.

Having shot both of these pistols, I am happy to stick with my my Five Seven. The PMR I shot had jamming issues, although it was an early production model. Maybe they have the kinks worked out since the recall. My Five Seven has been flawless through almost 2K rounds.