On the topic of bottled water..

If you buy bottled water for your drinking water..look into a Berkey filter.

We are on well water and 99% of the time it either reeks of donkey arse or like a stale sewer plant...it has always been ok to drink but since it also had a iron content..we add bleac h to the well periodicaly...to keep stains to a minimum.Also... City water has added Fluoride to the water...So if you are concerned about that..Berkey will filter that too...It will pay for itself in less than 3 months..

This Berkey filter is da bomb..I highly recomend it..And I drink over a gallon of water now a day..

• Like 3

We usually get our drinking water from that spring over near east town mall. It's free and much better than anything you can have delivered or buy in the store, and you can usually run into an old-timer there and have a good chat while refilling. One older guy probably in his late 70's was there one day and he was telling me how the local distillers used to bring a horse and buggy there to fill up the barrels when he was a kid.

We usually get our drinking water from that spring over near east town mall. It's free and much better than anything you can have delivered or buy in the store, and you can usually run into an old-timer there and have a good chat while refilling. One older guy probably in his late 70's was there one day and he was telling me how the local distillers used to bring a horse and buggy there to fill up the barrels when he was a kid.

When I lived in East Knoxville and worked at East Town Mall (it will never be Knoxville Center, to me) while attending UT, I sometimes used to stop just to fill up a cup with water from that Artesian well. I'd sometimes take jugs to fill up and take home, too. Good water.

Edited by JAB

I know a couple of springs back home that have very good water with no houses near by. There is one I haven't been too in a couple years but I would not go past it with out stopping for a drink. It is a 10 mile 4 wheeler ride just to get to it, at the bottom of a mountain that no one lives on, there hasn't been logging or coal mining above it. It is great. There a few others I know that are very good as well. But natural clean springs are getting harder to find, (good clean ones).Here at my house I have our drinking water filtered. One day I would like to look into a better filter.

The filters also last 3,000 gallons each or 6,000 for the pair that come with the filter. And that is if you don't clean them. You can clean them up to 100 times giving a total life of 600,000 gallons. And if we drink 3 gallons a day the filters will last 548 years with cleaning.

Cleaning is nothing more than taking 5 minutes and wiping down the outside of the filter elements with a green scrub pad when the filters slow down.

Now I do have a very optimistic outlook on my lifespan but I think the Berkey filter might outlast me.

And because I made a hand pump for our well we will always have a supply of water that is safe and palatable to drink.

Dolomite

I've been wanting a Berkey for years. I don't like tap water and many bottled waters ad salt for flavor. I don't like salt flavored water.

Its well worth the money.. I was a bit put off by the price but if you think about it.. you spend that on bottled water in a few months.if you read up on the bottled water issue.. Only way to really have good water that has everything removed or is pretty palatable is when it is done with reverse osmosis....

Either way...I think they are so worth it.

• Like 1
Guest uofmeet

This thread reminds me of what is probably Memphis' one redeeming quality. Our tap water is generally better than most bottled waters out there.

Yup, memphis tap water is some of the best on this planet. So i drink from the tap....All the time......my mom got a fridge with water in the door and i just took the filer out that came with it.

i too want to get a bekey. i do notice that i drink alot more water if i filter even the tap water. i currently use a PUR tap mounted filter at home and a brita filter bottle at work. neither are usable on questionable water sources but both take most the chemical flavor out.

This thread reminds me of what is probably Memphis' one redeeming quality. Our tap water is generally better than most bottled waters out there.

Are you sure?

Palatable doesn't mean it is safe.

Dolomite

Right, think about all that rinsed off yankee you're getting from the southern flow of the mississippi. :yuck:

The water at the Love Creek spring has been drunk since as long as people lived in these parts. I have drank it many times.

I dont doubt it..

I actually liked that water

its just to much of a hassle for us to go there.. fill up the tanks and lug it back home.. we used to do that.. when my son was at home but I cant drag those canisters around. .and you know G cant.. the Berkey is a lot more convenient for us now...

If i had well water and a good purifier i would not mess with springs either.

you guys have a good setup going on.

Water would be my major concern during a breakdown of society.

There is a spring pretty close by but is on private property.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered mine this week. I drink a lot of water and was getting a little tired of all of the bottles. We were thinking of going with one of the water services but if this tastes as good as everyone says then it will be a better solution.

The ability to filter water during an emergency is a nice bonus...

Mark

If you buy bottled water for your drinking water..look into a Berkey filter.

We are on well water and 99% of the time it either reeks of donkey arse or like a stale sewer plant...it has always been ok to drink but since it also had a iron content..we add bleac h to the well periodicaly...to keep stains to a minimum.Also... City water has added Fluoride to the water...So if you are concerned about that..Berkey will filter that too...It will pay for itself in less than 3 months..

This Berkey filter is da bomb..I highly recomend it..And I drink over a gallon of water now a day..

Can you post a link?

Can you post a link?

These are the people we ordered from. They shipped the filter fast and were easy to order from over the phone.

http://www.berkeyfilters.com/index.html

We chose the Big Berkey becaues it was about perfect for our needs. And both filters last 6,000 gallons before they need to be cleaned and they can be cleaned up to 100 times by using a green scrub pad. That means our filter's life, with two filter elements, is 600,000 gallons or if we drink 4 gallons a day it will last over 400 years. You can also put two more filters in and double the life as well as the filtering rate.

Its filtering ability is amazing. It filters out the chlorine smell as well as any other smells and tastes. And although we have not tried it I have been told it will filter the red out of wine as well as the alcohol. The filtered water tastes great. After a few days of drinking filtered water I bought a bottle of water and realized how disgusting tasting bottled water really is. And since then I have tried every type of bottled water and none of them taste as well as the filtered water.

Everything we use the water for seems to taste better like coffee and tea. And when cooking with it I no longer get bad tastes.

Dolomite