Dealer took my suppressor out shooting without my permission

If it's going back to the manufacturer for warranty work, I don't think a transfer is involved. Since it is considered a firearm, it should be the same process as getting a gun worked on.

That's where I was going with my question. If an inspection reveals that the life has been shortened, make the dealer pay for a factory refurb on the can.

He should be able to tell if it has been fired a lot. I'm thinking not......just that the dealer thought it would be cool to go pop some rounds off. While that is extremely uncool and unethical, I don't think he shortened the life span of the can significantly. Not enough to justify the time that it's going to take getting it there and back. From what I've read, it usually takes 2ish months for a warranty round trip. Since he's about to get his stamp, I wouldn't wait any longer.

A baffle strike and I would flip my sh*t and demand that he makes it right somehow, someway.

At the very least, this had better be a free transfer.

If it's going back to the manufacturer for warranty work, I don't think a transfer is involved. Since it is considered a firearm, it should be the same process as getting a gun worked on.

You are right and I am wrong.

It can be sent directly to the maker for repair.

I was following the ATF's policy of fill a form out for anything and everything. But in this case it is not needed.

Dolomite

Here's a question though....

Since it's not transfered yet, even though the OP bought and paid for it, it is still property of the dealer, right? Lets say that the dealer sends it back to the maker and it takes a bit to refurb it. In that time, the transfer goes through. Would the maker send it back to the guy or the dealer? I would think the guy since he's now the out and out owner of it.....but he'd have to contact them and show them a copy of the F4??

If you completely pay for a can, not a partial, but it's still in the dealer's possession/on his books due to pending NFA.....who does it belong to? I know he can't transfer it w/out an approved form but who does it legally belong to?

Guest cardcutter

Here's a question though....

Since it's not transfered yet, even though the OP bought and paid for it, it is still property of the dealer, right? Lets say that the dealer sends it back to the maker and it takes a bit to refurb it. In that time, the transfer goes through. Would the maker send it back to the guy or the dealer? I would think the guy since he's now the out and out owner of it.....but he'd have to contact them and show them a copy of the F4??

If you completely pay for a can, not a partial, but it's still in the dealer's possession/on his books due to pending NFA.....who does it belong to? I know he can't transfer it w/out an approved form but who does it legally belong to?

I was wondering about this. If it is legally OP's then isn't the dealer guilty of possession of a nfa devise not his own? If he is out firing somebody else's stuff he is definitely "in possession".

I wonder about the llegalityof his actions.

If you are lucky a baffle strike only causes the bullet to miss the target. Worst case scenario it blows the guts out or pulls it off the end of the weapon. I have seen videos where it looked like it was loaded with explosives. Even a 22 can cause I repairable damage to a can regardless of material.

That is why it is so important to have the barrel threaded concentric to the bore. You never want to use a die if you ever plan on using a suppressor, single point threads only.

Dolomite

I don't believe there was more than a mag or two ran through it. I will definitely check it out better when the forms arrive. I don't believe there was any harm to the suppressor. I don't see it any differently than if a neighbor would have taken my studebaker out for a ride and brought it back. It's a boundary issue. The gun he used has been sold so my fingers are crossed. If he wanted to hear it shot all he had to do is call. I have subsonic 9mm ammo. He did not. I got all the forms from the ATF for his business, showed him how to fill them out, and set him up to sell class III. I've been called down to the shop to answer questions for customers and they give out my number for unique questions. I don't ask for discounts, but do expect to receive my toys unmolested.

• Like 1

This thread, besides the cost involved, is why I have never attempted to buy a suppressor. There is no way in hell my "property" would be in the hands of some gun store for that amount of time.

Maybe I have trust issues....but when it comes to something like this there is no reason whatsoever to take your NFA, federally regulated item out for a joy ride.

OP, out the dealer once you get your can. They really should not even be in the business and most likely should be reported.

My outting him is solely dependent on the conversation we have when I pick up the paperwork. I'm not looking for "Stuff" or compensation, but there needs to be a serious "sorry I messed up". My business will go to someone else regardless, but I will not derail his shop enless I get a "Screw you deal with it" attitude. I hate being pissed at the guy, but what would a gun dealer do if i walked in a grabbed a new gun, loaded a mag full, and fired it out the door. If I didn't get arrested, It would cost me the price of the gun or at least a "30% restocking fee".

This thread, besides the cost involved, is why I have never attempted to buy a suppressor. There is no way in hell my "property" would be in the hands of some gun store for that amount of time.

That's a little over reaction don't you think? This rarely happens.....The good NFA dealers FAR outnumber the bad ones.

And at a 6 month wait, unless the can was damaged with a strike or had a lot of rounds put through it......I surely wouldn't start a new stamp. He would definitely have to explain himself though. What he did is unacceptable.....possibly unforgivable......but in all reality, not the end of the world.

His stamp is coming any day now. No way I would restart the process since there's no damage.

That's a little over reaction don't you think? This rarely happens.....The good NFA dealers FAR outnumber the bad ones.

Perhaps, but it has always been a concern of mine thinking of the process. I know there are plenty of fine, upstanding NFA dealers out there.

What I want to know is what would happen if I bought a class 3 and while I

waited for it something happen to the gunstore say a fire or goes out of business

Fire=insurance. Same as you having a gun being worked on or consignment.

out of business - probably Form 3'ed to another NFA dealer. He can't keep it w/out his SOT and he obviously can't give it to you. F3 is the only way to go.

Mudstud - those are my best semi-educated guesses from what I know. :slap: I could easily be wrong. I bet Dolomite would have a better, more specific answer.

On a random note - one day I hope suppressors make it off the NFA list. They're the next best thing to ear pro. IMO, they go hand in hand with responsible and polite shooting.

My guess would be if a suppressor got damaged by fire you would be out a suppressor and tax stamp. Granted the dealers should at the very least pay for a suppressor and maybe a tax stamp but you would definetely have to wait and apply for another tax stamp.

Perhaps, but it has always been a concern of mine thinking of the process. I know there are plenty of fine, upstanding NFA dealers out there.

Same here. Not just for this scenario, but the whole process. I started down the process a little over a year ago and ended up getting frustrated and abandoning the suppressor quest. The primary reason was finding an NFA dealer that I was comfortable with (like return calls, get pricing, etc). I ended up exploring pneumatic options - not regulated as firearm and much easier. There are a lot of neat toys in that category.

On a random note - one day I hope suppressors make it off the NFA list.

If they ever do they will cost less than a hundred bucks.

Under the Tennessee Firearms Freedom Act they are legal to manufacture and sell here to residents without the Feds being involved. Of course I doubt we will find a manufacturer, a dealer, and a buyer that want to test that. biggrin.gif