Good job, Memphis! You made it into the FBI's Top 5.

5. Memphis, Tenn.

Violent crimes per 1,000: 15.8

Population: 652,725

2011 murders: 117

Median income: $37,045

Unemployment rate: 11.1%

In 2011, Memphis defied the national trend of declining crime rates in major U.S. cities. The rate of violent crimes per 1,000 people increased, from 15.4 to 15.8. This was the product of increases in murders, which rose from 89 to 117 cases, and aggravated assault incidents, which rose by 100 cases. A rising unemployment rate, which grew 1.2% to 11.1% in 2011, likely has not helped to reduce criminal behavior.

http://realestate.ya...in-america.html

Edited by monkeylizard

I live just north of Memphis, and it's not as bad as the folks on this site try to make it out to be. Just like any other town or city you have to use common sense and avoid the problematic areas.

True, but you are taking the fun out of this post. I have been traveling lately and I always used the same precautions everywhere. Guns and knives where legal and pepper spray around the kiddies.

You hit the nail on the head with your sig line.

Edited by LINKS2K

Living in 4 of the 5 has not been bad at all. It seems like most of the crime in these places is not as random as you would think. Most of the killings are drug deals gone bad or disrespecting someone you know. I have always keep my nose clean and I was never affected by the high crime rate in those cities. However I live in safe Knoxville where I have had my cor broken into 3 time and my wife's work was held up by gun point, and the bank I use has been robbed 4 times this year. So as sad as it is I fear for my safety more here than I did in any of those 4 cities. It seems the northern areas of those cities seem to be the safest. I lived on the norther edge of flint, Detroit, and St Louis, and the Germantown side of Memphis. Keep your nose clean and be respectful to all and you can survive any city.

True, but you are taking the fun out of this post. I have been traveling lately and I always used the same precautions everywhere. Guns and knives where legal and pepper spray around the kiddies.

You hit the nail on the head with your sig line.

I've only been here just under a year and my family and I really like it. To hear the folks on this site, you may as well walk through the gates of hell before even thinking of going to Memphis.

One of the main reasons I don't frequent this site as much as I used to is because of all the childish bickering over who is right and who is wrong on any number of topics.

One of the main reasons I don't frequent this site as much as I used to is because of all the childish bickering over who is right and who is wrong on any number of topics.

Well, once you realize who is always right just avoid them. They will seek you out because they have nothing better to do, but ignore them. They tend to be attention hounds. David runs a excellent site here. Don't let the Circle Jerk crew ruin it for you.

Edited by LINKS2K

Memphis is pretty gnarly, but I've never had a problem there. I had to do a lot of work in the rough areas too. Just gotta keep your head up.

I agree. Don't buy or sell drugs, stay out of the bad neighborhoods, maintain situational awareness and you are good to go. Hell, I even do his in Collierville and Germantown. Stuff can happen anywhere.

Guest Old goat

Worked there a few years ago, built a school. Manassas high school, rough area, lived Lakeland (thru the week). I survived, no problems, but was careful.

Worked there a few years ago, built a school. Manassas high school, rough area, lived Lakeland (thru the week). I survived, no problems, but was careful.

In the bad areas most of he bad guys are sleeping during work hours.

Memphis may not be "that bad" you locals sure do try to downplay it.

I really don't put much faith in these lists though. I was reading a separate article the other day an the list was different.

Look at it like this. Most of us have been on TGO for a few years now. Have you heard of any Memphis members having any issues? I know that random crime occurs, but most of our issues are gang and drug related.

Look at it like this. Most of us have been on TGO for a few years now. Have you heard of any Memphis members having any issues? I know that random crime occurs, but most of our issues are gang and drug related.

TNMike is a member here. He's had to defend himself while living in Memphis. It can happen anywhere though. All big cities have their problems.

I'm just saying Memphis makes the top 5 every year but you guys get so defensive about it. I live in Orlando and I accept the fact that it's a big tourist dump with a lot of crime.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/concealed-carry-issues-discussions/66540-i-had-draw-someone-today.html

Edited by Erik88

I'm just saying Memphis makes the top 5 every year but you guys get so defensive about it.

Probably because so many TGOers act like they live in utopia, when in fact the crime rates in most Memphis communities are quite average for the state. Many on TGO act like Memphis is Somalia and quite frankly, for those of us who live here and spent our lives living in many other places, it's actually comical seeing all the fear-based posts.

So much for the internet tough-guys, I guess.

• Like 1

I have been going to the doctor in Memphis for most of my life. Once a month thur my college years and still once a year now. People say nothing has change but I have seen the bad areas grow substantially in the last 25 years. That same Sam's Club mentioned in the story above used to be where my parents and I used to stop and pick up bulk groceries before Jackson had a SAMs and we were never armed or thought we needed to be. You can say stay out of the bad areas but the "bad areas" have almost consumed the city of Memphis( not to include the suburbs).

JTM

Sent from my iPhone

While I do think Memphis gets a bit of bad rap, it earns a lot of it.

When it comes to crime, Memphis is generally lumped in with New Orleans, Detroit, and DC. That isn't by accident.

Having said that, there are places in Nashville that are just as bad as the worst of Memphis has to offer.