I hate showing my WalMart receipt too

Guest AmericanWorkMule

Guest AmericanWorkMule

I agree with the Chief

I hate when they stop me and want me to show a receipt.

I once told told a clerk about a guy stuffing fishing gear in his pants and they did nothing.

http://www.lineofdut...wal-mart-tirade

you can see Chief Mike Jones in surveillance video buying merchandise inside of the Harrisville Walmart. It shows him storming off from the elderly female greeter who asks him for a receipt for items not in bags. She later told police he shouted at her, “so are you going to arrest me?†I said no, but we can’t let this go out without a receipt. He said, “then f***ing arrest me.†He then jerked the basket away from my hand and nearly ran over my foot in the process. As he stormed away he said, “f***ing b****â€! (Statement by Peggy Peterson, victim)

They don't have door greeters anymore. I haven't seen them do this in at least a year.

But at the Walmarts I go too even though they don't have "official" door greeters there is normally a Walmart person about 10 feet inside the doors who is normally the former door greater that usually speaks to you while they pretend to do something else. It is almost like corp walmart done away with the job and the local walmart's have found a small loop hole to keep it. BTW after I slept on this, I don't mind showing my receipt leaving a store, in a since I am in their house and their rules. If I don't like it, I am free to go someplace else. Maybe that is the first sign I have been tempered to the changes that are coming. I hope not.

I like to do my shopping at 4:00 A.M. - 5:00 A.M. at my local 24/7 super center, to avoid the crowd.

My pet peeve is leaving and the alarm goes off at the exit door. Stand there for a few minutes looking stupid waiting for someone to come look through all your items like you're a thief. Usually some cheap item you wouldn't think they would put a security chip on, and the checkout lady didn't run it across the magnet.

That makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside!

That’s an old story. The Chief was arrested, charged, and pled guilty to disorderly conduct. He was suspended by the state for a year, and he resigned. Anyone that would act like that doesn’t deserve to be a cop, let alone a Chief.

Yeah, the Chief should not have behaved the way he did.

It was in mid 2008 IIRC, that I had enough of Wal Mart.

After purchasing over $500 worth of items right next to the "greeter", w/ my 3yo boy in tow, having it take quite awhile to get all of the items rung up, bagged and carted, we made our way to the exit. At that point the greeter asked for my receipt and I politely stated "no thank you" and continued on my way. It is, or at least was at the time, policy for them to not harass you if you chose not to show the receipt as was explained to me by managers previously. Well this lady was a bit ambitious and continued to follow me and asking me to stop to which I again replied "no thank you" and continued out the door with my possessions I had just acquired.

About 25' from the store, an elderly-ish female customer who was behind me began to yell at me, asking why I had just stolen all of that stuff. Ignoring her I made my way to my jeep and began loading the contents only to have her follow and continue to accuse me of theft, all the while dialing the police on her phone and telling me she was going to have me arrested. I chuckled, explained that I had purchased the items and politely asked her to please stop wrongfully accusing me of theft. Now, the whole time, my son is looking at me perplexed and asked why is this lady yelling.

After I finished loading my goods into the jeep, with her still there trying to contact the PD, I attempted to depart only to have her try to block me from leaving. It was not difficult to maneuver around her, so I did so and drove down the road a piece. My son then asked what a thief is and at that point, I called my wife who also happened to be in town running errands to come get my son. Next, I proceeded back to Wal Mart, returned all of my items and explained to the Manager what had happened and that I would never be returning to Wal Mart and to date our family has not returned.

Now folks may ask why. It seems to me that Wal Mart had created and was perpetuating an environment where everyone is guilty until proven innocent. It is certainly within their rights to create that environment on their property, I reckon, but it is also my right to protest it and know that I am not contributing to the slow deterioration of our society.

In a capitalist society, it is my responsibility to vote with my wallet. I don't fly because of the TSA shenanigans and I don't shop at Wal Mart because of their's.

Not that anyone cares, but that's my story.

Edited by sigmtnman
  • Like 1
Guest bkelm18

I work PT at Walmart. The store doesn't have door greeters and no one really bats an eye whenever those alarms go off. I guess for them it's just easier to write it off.

Edited by bkelm18

Go to Walmart on Old Fort about 9am on a Monday and you're good. The old lady doing the greeting was sitting on the chair asleep (eyes closed but still managed to hold her head up). :lol:

The poor gal I seen at Walmart on the grocery side in Hermitage is getting so old her head/neck is bent down and looks like it takes effort for her to even look forward now. I think she has worked there a good while, too. That make me feel sad really. I hate to see age taking these tough old folks down. :/

There is a disabled guy at my local wally that is hillarious and gives me and my kids a high five everytime we come in. I wish all the people at wally had his outlook on life. He is in a wheelchair and has one of those machines that he types on to talk. Despite all of that he always has a smile and makes sure he says hi to everyone. Gerald Rocks!!!!!

• Like 1

Yeah, the Chief should not have behaved the way he did.

It was in mid 2008 IIRC, that I had enough of Wal Mart.

After purchasing over $500 worth of items right next to the "greeter", w/ my 3yo boy in tow, having it take quite awhile to get all of the items rung up, bagged and carted, we made our way to the exit. At that point the greeter asked for my receipt and I politely stated "no thank you" and continued on my way. It is, or at least was at the time, policy for them to not harass you if you chose not to show the receipt as was explained to me by managers previously. Well this lady was a bit ambitious and continued to follow me and asking me to stop to which I again replied "no thank you" and continued out the door with my possessions I had just acquired.

About 25' from the store, an elderly-ish female customer who was behind me began to yell at me, asking why I had just stolen all of that stuff. Ignoring her I made my way to my jeep and began loading the contents only to have her follow and continue to accuse me of theft, all the while dialing the police on her phone and telling me she was going to have me arrested. I chuckled, explained that I had purchased the items and politely asked her to please stop wrongfully accusing me of theft. Now, the whole time, my son is looking at me perplexed and asked why is this lady yelling.

After I finished loading my goods into the jeep, with her still there trying to contact the PD, I attempted to depart only to have her try to block me from leaving. It was not difficult to maneuver around her, so I did so and drove down the road a piece. My son then asked what a thief is and at that point, I called my wife who also happened to be in town running errands to come get my son. Next, I proceeded back to Wal Mart, returned all of my items and explained to the Manager what had happened and that I would never be returning to Wal Mart and to date our family has not returned.

Now folks may ask why. It seems to me that Wal Mart had created and was perpetuating an environment where everyone is guilty until proven innocent. It is certainly within their rights to create that environment on their property, I reckon, but it is also my right to protest it and know that I am not contributing to the slow deterioration of our society.

In a capitalist society, it is my responsibility to vote with my wallet. I don't fly because of the TSA shenanigans and I don't shop at Wal Mart because of their's.

Not that anyone cares, but that's my story.

If you knew how much crap was stolen from each Super Walmart each year, you'd crap your pants and would not mind the retiree door greeters so much. Even if they're checking you after you just checked out. :)

People sometimes hide crap in trash cans and larger items to steal more expensive stuff like electronics and even though you were checked out by a cashier, it is their job to double check behind them.

While I was working for Walmart to pay for college, they had a chart on the wall in the break room with a break down for each department of how much in dollars was lost from theft. Electronics dept had lost $10's of thousands at a certain point that year.

Just think, if they could prevent all this theft, the prices they have could probably even be a notch cheaper!

If you knew how much crap was stolen from each Super Walmart each year, you'd crap your pants and would not mind the retiree door greeters so much. Even if they're checking you after you just checked out. :)

People sometimes hide crap in trash cans and larger items to steal more expensive stuff like electronics and even though you were checked out by a cashier, it is their job to double check behind them.

While I was working for Walmart to pay for college, they had a chart on the wall in the break room with a break down for each department of how much in dollars was lost from theft. Electronics dept had lost $10's of thousands at a certain point that year.

Just think, if they could prevent all this theft, the prices they have could probably even be a notch cheaper!

Sorry, but no, I would not crap my pants and yes I would still mind.

Sorry, but no, I would not crap my pants and yes I would still mind.

I'm not defending Walmart. I dislike a lot about them. Mainly how they now treat their employees since Sam died and the kids took over.

But they do have a right to protect their property or inventory. Most stores do it by camera alone, but Walmart is huge and full of people, so they would have to hire an army of loss prevention to watch all that real estate. I suppose it helps to have the door checker clear large items such as trash cans, and really full shopping carts for missed items such as things placed on the lower rack that sometimes get missed by the cashier or forgotten about by the shopper.

In the larger scheme of things, they're not hurting over a few lost customers. But they are hurt over the tons of theft.

I'm not defending Walmart. I dislike a lot about them. Mainly how they now treat their employees since Sam died and the kids took over.

But they do have a right to protect their property or inventory. Most stores do it by camera alone, but Walmart is huge and full of people, so they would have to hire an army of loss prevention to watch all that real estate. I suppose it helps to have the door checker clear large items such as trash cans, and really full shopping carts for missed items such as things placed on the lower rack that sometimes get missed by the cashier or forgotten about by the shopper.

In the larger scheme of things, they're not hurting over a few lost customers. But they are hurt over the tons of theft.

I agree with everything you state and thought I made it clear in my post that it was well within their right. I'm a firm believer in private property rights.

This is classic mismanagement.

Sams: the greeter checks every person and a line, usually longer and slower than the checkout lines, forms up and people can get stuck for 5-10 just trying to leave the stupid store! This is terrible, and to be honest I dread going there because of this, the slow lines, and the generally sorry service.

Walmart: Treating honest customers like a criminal is worse than losing a few items. The crooks are gonna steal, and most of them are probably better at it than the greeter people can catch. Honestly if I wanted to clean out a walmart, I would get my wife to distract the greeter while I wheeled my cart out --- they are usually elderly and easy to befuddle with a question (try it sometime, ask the greeter what aisle has axle grease or something random.... ). Cell phones make it easy, text your partner to start the disturbance as you are near the exit. As with gun control, the crooks are gonna win, and all the store can do is aggravate the honest customers --- terrible decision.

I would have let the police arrive and showed THEM my recipt then asked them to arrest the lady for harrassment, stalking, and reporting a false crime etc. But I am a jerk that way.

This is classic mismanagement.

Sams: the greeter checks every person and a line, usually longer and slower than the checkout lines, forms up and people can get stuck for 5-10 just trying to leave the stupid store! This is terrible, and to be honest I dread going there because of this, the slow lines, and the generally sorry service.

Walmart: Treating honest customers like a criminal is worse than losing a few items. The crooks are gonna steal, and most of them are probably better at it than the greeter people can catch. Honestly if I wanted to clean out a walmart, I would get my wife to distract the greeter while I wheeled my cart out --- they are usually elderly and easy to befuddle with a question (try it sometime, ask the greeter what aisle has axle grease or something random.... ). Cell phones make it easy, text your partner to start the disturbance as you are near the exit. As with gun control, the crooks are gonna win, and all the store can do is aggravate the honest customers --- terrible decision.

I would have let the police arrive and showed THEM my recipt then asked them to arrest the lady for harrassment, stalking, and reporting a false crime etc. But I am a jerk that way.

I seriously considered it, but we were heading out camping and I didn't want to mess it up for the kids. It turned out we really didn't need any of the chinese crap anyways and we made due with what we had. The return and complaint was surely much less stressful and time consuming than dealing with the unknown of the PD.

Edited by sigmtnman

I agree with everything you state and thought I made it clear in my post that it was well within their right. I'm a firm believer in private property rights.

Trust me, I understood your point. I was just adding to mine as I felt I left out a few details.. :up:

Edited by JohnC

The person checking receipts at the door is only seeing if the receipt shows the correct time/date stamp. They aren't verifying all the stuff in your cart matches the receipt so your point above isn't valid IMO.