Buying my first handgun, got a question.

Jesse

Guest bkelm18

I had a change of heart today, Now I want the Ruger sr9. you guys think it's worth the extra $70 over the p95?

If you ever plan on carrying it, most definitely. The P95 is a tank. The SR9 is much lighter.

Thanks for everyones help with my questions. I went ahead and bought my first choice the Ruger p95. Biggest reason was price and looks. It's kinda big, but i like the look. Plus my wife demanded a safe for it so I got the p95 and a good safe for under $400.

I hope it gets here by Satuday , just coming from Kentucky. Will hit the range next week i hope.

Guest bkelm18

I hope it gets here by Satuday , just coming from Kentucky. Will hit the range next week i hope.

Congrats on the purchase.

Bud's on occaision takes a ridiculous amount of time to ship. I think on my last order they took a full week to ship it.

Edited by bkelm18
Guest Nikator

I think a lot of folks are missing the point here.

You are still required to pay the taxes on an item you order off the internet and have shipped to you from out of state.

Go read the fine print on Amazon. They started sending notices to their customers this year notifying them of their purchases and how much they owe. Yes, this was a Tennessee vs. Amazon thing, but how long until all online purchases require the customer to pay the use taxes, because folks just don't.

Good luck finding a $20 transfer anymore, most shops are at $30, throw in $20 in shipping, and yup, you just met taxes on a $500 gun. Except for the fact that you still technically owe $50 in taxes on the item. Just because the seller didn't charge you the taxes before shipping the item doesn't mean you are magically exempt.

Now, sure, right now the government works on a faith system, sure, you don't have the man beating down your door telling you that he wants his $50 or he is going to put a lien against your car, home or business. However, like Amazon just started, how long before all the online retailers start charging the tax or be banned from selling in a certain state?

That is something to think about when everyone gets on a public forum and starts touting how they buy online to save themselves from a sales tax.

You are required to pay sales tax for a purchase made online where the retailer also has a physical location in the same state as the buyer. Amazon recently opened a TN distribution center; therefore they are required to collect tax; however they refused because they are too big to shut down and instead opted to send the buyer a receipt for the taxes due.

Many folks do not understand how that works.

Plenty of shops FTF for $15-20. Doesn't d&t offer that for to members?

You are required to pay sales tax for a purchase made online where the retailer also has a physical location in the same state as the buyer. Amazon recently opened a TN distribution center; therefore they are required to collect tax; however they refused because they are too big to shut down and instead opted to send the buyer a receipt for the taxes due.

Incorrect.

Taken from here: http://www.tn.gov/revenue/faqs/salesandusefaq.shtml#16

• Are sales made on the Internet subject to sales or use tax?
    Yes. Even if a seller does not collect Tennessee sales tax from you, when you ask a dealer to deliver an item to you in Tennessee, you are responsible for paying use tax at the same rate as sales tax. Click here to download the return.
  • Why does a catalog company or an online seller located in another state charge Tennessee sales or use tax?
    If an out-of-state business, such as a catalog company, has a physical presence, or nexus, in Tennessee (a business, warehouse, sales representative or agency relationship), then that business is required to register to collect sales or use tax on merchandise delivered to a Tennessee customer.
    If the out-of-state business does not have nexus in Tennessee, the business is not required to collect Tennessee taxes.
    Many Tennessee businesses and consumers are unaware that use tax is owed on items they have imported into this state without paying sales tax to the seller. The use tax has been in effect since 1947 and is the counterpart to the sales tax. When someone buys merchandise online or through a catalog and the seller of the merchandise does not collect sales tax, the consumer who bought the item has a legal obligation to file and pay use tax on the merchandise. The use tax is levied at the same rate as the sales tax.
    Some businesses located in other states voluntarily register to collect Tennessee sales or use tax to eliminate the customers obligation to file a consumer use tax return. Consumer use tax returns are available on the department's Web site, www.Tennessee.gov/revenue.

I really wasn't trying to make a huge issue out of this, I was just trying to originally point out that it is normally the same cost to have it shipped as it is to buy locally. If I however must play devil's advocate for the brick and mortar store inventory I will.

With that said, I search for the deal. I buy my ammo wherever it is cheapest. I will admit that I have been paying 20% more at my LGS for ammo because I like him, and he has regular stock that Walmart doesn't. I still buy from Walmart, but I go in weekly and buy $30 in ammo from my LGS. This has built a good relationship to the point where he has offered to beat Bud's by $10 per firearm transaction. Which since I now live in Kentucky and Buds is only an hour away, works out really well for me. It worked out well for me on my latest purchase from him.

I am not trying to champion the cause, or call anyone out for tax evasion. I am trying to point out an often overlooked law that folks use as their main reason to shop online. Reasonably so, but that 'savings' from not paying tax isn't really what you think it is.

Yes, many folks do not understand how it works. You are required to pay the tax period. If the retailer has a physical presence in your state; they are supposed to collect the tax.

People don’t pay the tax and that is how the state loses revenue.

Even if a retailer does not have a physical location within the state you, the purchaser, are still required to pay a tax on that purchase. ALL purchases, in state or out of state, have a tax burden that must be paid to the state. The tax is called a "use" tax and is the same rate as our sales tax. What is supposed to happen is you mail your "use" tax into the state.

The "use" tax has been in place long before the internet. It was enacted in 1947 along with the state sales tax.

If Tennessee sales tax is added to the purchase price, use tax is not owed. However, if merchandise is bought through the internet, over the telephone, from mail-order catalogs, etc., and sales tax is not added to the price, the purchaser is responsible for paying use tax directly to the Department of Revenue. Also, Tennessee residents who travel outside the state and purchase untaxed merchandise that is shipped to their homes in Tennessee are liable for use tax.

So even if you do not see a sales tax on your internet or out of state order you are still required to pay a tax on the purchase.

Dolomite

I seen a news bit about these oline taxes... they pretty much want folks to do the right thing and pay them. But they said almost nobody does cause its not enforced. Some guy is trying to pass a law that makes all online stores charge taxes cause walmart etc... are crying that its not fair.

Sounds like you have everything taken care of. Your gun shop has dealt with Bud's before, so they have a copy of your local GS's FFL on file.

Like so many others here I've bought guns on line too. No big thing. The place that you are buying the gun from has to have a copy of the local FFL's license on file. That way Uncle Sam gets his paper trail and you still get to take the 4473 test. What I usually do is take my money order to my local GS and they put a copy of their FFL with my stuff and mail it for me. That way I don't have to pay an extra 3% to use the charge card and I know that there won't be a delay because of the local FFL not being there.

Guest nysos

Thanks...how long do background checks take?

Tics takes 5 minutes or so in the shop, just make sue you bring your id and a utility bill if your address doesn't match your Id.

thanks bkelm18

btw I was having problems with one of the magazines that came with the gun. so it took it apart and it had an extra plastic thing right behind the other one. i took it out and now it works fine.

the workers must have put 2 in there and thought it was one.

2012-07-20_16-47-53_934.jpg

Guest bkelm18

thanks bkelm18

btw I was having problems with one of the magazines that came with the gun. so it took it apart and it had an extra plastic thing right behind the other one. i took it out and now it works fine.

the workers must have put 2 in there and thought it was one.

2012-07-20_16-47-53_934.jpg

Wow, never seen that before. The plastic thing is called a "follower". ;)

Edited by bkelm18