Smith or Colt

Caster

I'm on the verge of trading with a good friend of mine for a 38 revolver. He has two, but I just can't decide. As far as condition, they are equal.

The first is a model 10 Smith with a 4" heavy barrel. The balance is GREAT even though the grips are dainty for my hands.

The other is a Military Colt with a 6 inch barrel. I don't fancy the longer, thinner barrel but I do like me some Colt revolvers.

I know for a fact the S&W will shoot one ragged hole all day.

Thoughts?

its not hard to replace grips.

the model 10 is pretty common smith, and I think some consider it to be a lesser desired piece? I like them myself, but prefer my 19.

you know the smith is accurate. You dislike something difficult to alter on the colt. You like the smith except for the easy to modify grips.

My logic indicates you should go with the smith here.

Maybe I need to shoot the Colt first? I have shot the Smith several times with my loads. A Lyman 358429 170g semi wadcutter over Titegroup. At 15 yards it's so accurate it's almost boring. Shooting a bowling pin was fun, just toss it out 20 yards and chase it all over creation.

Shortening the barrel of the Colt wouldn't be hard but it would heresy.

Maybe I need to shoot the Colt first? I have shot the Smith several times with my loads. A Lyman 358429 170g semi wadcutter over Titegroup. At 15 yards it's so accurate it's almost boring. Shooting a bowling pin was fun, just toss it out 20 yards and chase it all over creation.

Shortening the barrel of the Colt wouldn't be hard but it would heresy.

If that is an option, yes shoot it! I agree, cutting it down is not a great idea. Recrowning is not easy either, well I guess it is but you need good tools for it -- I could not do it with mine.

Does S&W's life time warranty cover that model 10? If so that's something to consider. I'm just not sure on how long that warranty has been in place.

Caster,

I like shooting, not collecting. Depending on condition the Colt will never lose its value. At a certain point neither will the Smith. I'm thinking however, that the Colt may have the old "Python-like" lockwork which can be tuned to be like glass. On the other hand a S&W Mdl 10 can be tuned to "fly" like a Miculek gun. I couldn't help myself and picked up a beater S&W M&P 5-screw 4" barrel the other day. It points like my index finger. It makes a good companion to my 4" heavy barrel chrome S&W Mdl 10. I did a trigger job on the M&P and it is sli......ck! Not as slick as my 100% chromed Mdl 10. 3 S&Ws and 1 DW, non are collectors but they are shooters!!

4revolvers.jpg

I think the S&W Model 10 and it's prodigies, the Mdl 15, 19 and 66, are tremendous pistols. That said, I have a Colt Agent .38 snubbie that I think runs rings around any double action revolver I've ever owned. Very accurate with a fantastic trigger. If your friend's Colt is similar in performance, I'd take the Colt. If you have the chance, definitely take it and try it out! Honestly, that's the best way to make the decision.

Edited by Moped

Far more knowledgeable men than myself have given you their opinions, but it behoves me to say....I like the Smiths better. Have a 10, 2 15's, 17/K-22, 19,, 2 64's, 66, and assorted j-frames, though only a few.

Just my preference.

And just so you don't think I'm predujicical...got a few Ruger wheelguns as well. :up:

Edited by hipower

I'd go colt. I like S&W and all I just think of old Colts as a step above.

Having said that the only intelligent way to make your choice is to take them both out at the same time and run a few rounds through em both. Done that way you'll definitely make te right choice.

I'd buy the Colt for collecting, and the Smith and Wesson for shooting.

I expect the Colt is likely chambered for 38 Colt, which isn't interchangeable with 38 Special, and very pricey and hard to come by.

Edited by gregintenn

The Colt doesn't have as good a finish as I thought. BUT....I still came home with it. Don't know if I'll keep it or take it back. I get to keep it and shoot it for a little while while I make up my mind. THe hard rubber grips are almost perfect. One little place on one grip, the other sider is 100%. What do you think? What's it worth??

I shot it today a little. Federal case, Win primer, 3.0g of Titegroup under a 170g cast bullet. It shot very well. Woulda shot better if I wasn't hurting in my right shoulder so much.

DSC02715.jpg

It's a 38 special.

Colt special army 38

It was made in 1920.

Being as it has hard rubber grips and no lanyard ring, it's safe to assume its a civil model made after military contracts were fulfilled. I have seen brand new guns that do not lock up this tight. I haven't seen many revolvers lock up this tight in my life. You can tell people used to care about what they made.

If I keep it, I'm going to make some new grips for it. These grips are getting rare in this good condition. I will take good care of it and it will only eat light cast loads, but I intend to shoot the heck out of it. It was made to shoot and I will do just that.

So much of the original finish is gone, I thought about getting it reblued but it won't make it shoot better. I'll just leave it alone.

It's a 38 special.

Colt special army 38

It was made in 1920.

Being as it has hard rubber grips and no lanyard ring, it's safe to assume its a civil model made after military contracts were fulfilled. I have seen brand new guns that do not lock up this tight. I haven't seen many revolvers lock up this tight in my life. You can tell people used to care about what they made.

If I keep it, I'm going to make some new grips for it. These grips are getting rare in this good condition. I will take good care of it and it will only eat light cast loads, but I intend to shoot the heck out of it. It was made to shoot and I will do just that.

So much of the original finish is gone, I thought about getting it reblued but it won't make it shoot better. I'll just leave it alone.

Sounds like a plan. Colt sure knew how to produce high quality stuff in that timeframe.