School Fees?

VERO1

Anyone elses child come home from public school with a list of fees that are required? My son, starting 10th grade this year, came home with a list that reminded me of a chinese menu!

General fee-$20

Media fee- $5

Math fee $10

Biology fee- $10

Language - $10

I am sure there are more that will be squeezed in once school actually starts. No where on the rate sheet do they ever mention these fees are not allowed to be charged according to Tennessee Codes. I'm sure they will be less than impressed with me when I decline to donate to them this year!

My taxes too, I don't even HAVE kids but I gotta pay for them to go to school.

Compulsory participation in a program that benefits others but not me. If that ain't communism, I don't know what is.

Edited by Caster
Guest TNLC9

think the fees are tough being the parent? my wife is a teacher, and we buy pencils, paper, notebooks, and even tissues so snotty nosed students don't wipe on their sleeves. nobody seems to want to foot the bill for education.

them tissues get into my bullet and range money, but my wife loves teaching, so be it.

and her school district has not given raises for years now.

sent from ...

Edited by TNLC9
Guest Grout

2nd grade child in a Hamilton Co. school.

A $50 fee

A list of supplies that totaled $37

A note saying that by mid year additional supplies will be needed

Yes we had a list of needed supplys we had to get and paid nearly 140.00 for them without taxes because of the tax free back to school sale Alot of our supplys we had to buy multiples of for the kids that dont have them its getting ridiculous but I guess schools just dont get the money they need anymore I dont know when I was young I remember getting new school clothes a backpack and some pencils and that was it

Edited by plank white

Yes we had a list of needed supplys we had to get and paid nearly 140.00 for them without taxes because of the tax free back to school sale Alot of our supplys we had to buy multiples of for the kids that dont have them its getting ridiculous but I guess schools just dont get the money they need anymore I dont know when I was young I remember getting new school clothes a backpack and some pencils and that was it

For clarification, who did you get those things: e.g. the new school clothes, the backpack, the pencils, etc. from, when you were young?

think the fees are tough being the parent? my wife is a teacher, and we buy pencils, paper, notebooks, and even tissues so snotty nosed students don't wipe on their sleeves. nobody seems to want to foot the bill for education.

them tissues get into my bullet and range money, but my wife loves teaching, so be it.

sent from ...

Tell your Wife "Thank you SO MUCH".

sent from ...

I can Imagine, there are alot of students who's parents dont even bother with the list and that is why we always get 2 or 3 times the amount and still usually give more later in the year Im an assistant coach on the football team and my wife is the team mom, and we have quite a few kids with some of the worst parents you can think of we have to buy extra pads helmets etc. aswell as pick up and drop off some of the kids and even paid for some of their pictures last year . 1 kid in particular really breaks my heart he is such a great kid and loves playing but has the worst parents we bought his cleats aswell as everything else last year and had him sleep over with my son quite a bit The worst part is we havent heard from him or his parents this year and dont know whats going on with him .it really sucks to see parents so doped up that there kids are just left to fend for themselfs ...sorry for ranting

For clarification, who did you get those things: e.g. the new school clothes, the backpack, the pencils, etc. from, when you were young?

I was pointing out those were the only things needed when I was young nowdays the kids need that ofcourse but everything else on top of that aswell , Im not saying that we shouldnt have to buy the stuff we do Im just pointing out that when I was young we didnt have to buy all these supplys and other items but at that age I was in georgia schools maybe georgia schools have that stuff paid for already or used to who knows maybe their state taxes helps with schools? Edited by plank white

I am fairly sure my property taxes will more than pay for my son and several others but thanks for the offer Strick. My wife will also send a check in for the additional fees. I will continue to beech about it, it has somewhat turned into a back to school tradition!

Guest TNLC9
Like anything else run by the government, schools are poorly run and money is managed just as poorly.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

When Livy Eisenberg was principal at Hunter Middle, years went by and no parent was EVER asked for any fees. The school did major recycling to raise funds. That school, in Sumner Co. was ran with little to no waste.

sent from ...

Guest 6.8 AR

Both of mine were in private schools, with the exception of a trial back to public school. Very unhappy they were

a couple years ahead of the public crowd and back to the private venue, all the while paying the taxes everyone

else does.

You're welcome :D

Guest TNLC9
I buy my own tools, teachers should buy their own red pens. Sorry, it's a pet peeve.

My wife does ... pens, laptop, laser printer, toner, paper for the printer ... and when she comes home saying she needs something for her students, it is purchased, if we have to do without some things.

Ever spent $200.00 at a teacher's store ... while on vacation? Myrtle Beach has one of the best this side of the Mississippi. :D

sent from ...

Edited by TNLC9
Guest TNLC9

Nope, but I have spent 30k+ in tools.

I too own my own tools, being in the IT field, would rather have the best tools to do my job. Wife is the same way ... that may be why we both carry Sigs when legal to do so.

sent from ...