AR Forearm Lengths?

Lumber_Jack

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want say that mine (YHM Rifle Length) is 12 or slightly longer.

Some are listed as 12.5 on their website, others state no length. I assume it's 12" for rifle unless otherwise stated.

Mine is exactly 12" as well but since I didn't buy it I wasn't sure which one I had.

Edited by Lumber_Jack

no

Is that universal, or does it vary slightly by manufacturer? I only have one AR that was built by someone else.

no not even close, 7" thru 15" you can get 9" and 11" just all depends on what you want and these are 1 piece tubes.

My Daniel Defense and Samson are 12.47" if the exact length is important, it was for me, contact the maker.

Yeah, thanks, it's important to me. I'm considering a suppressor and wether or not to have the suppressor partially under the rail. For that barrel length and forearm length need to be right.

Guest ThePunisher

I'm glad you asked this because I've been trying to figure out what my M&P Sport is. Does anyone know? I want to replace my black parts with Magpul Flat Dark Earth.

Get the carbine length. I just did my Sport in OD green.

I'm glad you asked this because I've been trying to figure out what my M&P Sport is. Does anyone know? I want to replace my black parts with Magpul Flat Dark Earth.

Its a carbine length for sure. I'm assuming you have the front sight gas block. As Mac said any Carbine 2 piece replacement will fit

My confusion comes with low profile gas blocks and free float forearms that cover the block.

Its a carbine length for sure. I'm assuming you have the front sight gas block. As Mac said any Carbine 2 piece replacement will fit

My confusion comes with low profile gas blocks and free float forearms that cover the block.

? what confusion? that is the only way we run them. as most AR competiters, even iron shooters because the front sight is moved to the end of the barrel.

? what confusion? that is the only way we run them. as most AR competiters, even iron shooters because the front sight is moved to the end of the barrel.

Yes I understand that. With a FSB the forearm length is specifically dictated by the gas system. With a low pro block the forearm could be infinitely long. I just wanted to know if there is a standard length among manufacturers using the term carbine, mid-length, and rifle, for free float forearms.

Doesn't YHM also throw in Spectre length to change the equation? Something like Mid-length +?

Regardless... here is what they have on Midway:

Handguard Lengths:

• Pistol Handguard-4.15"
  • Carbine Handguard-7.2"
  • Mid-Length Handguard-9.2"
  • Specter/Extended Carbine Handguard-9.7"
  • Rifle Length-12.5"

Mac

EDIT: vendor non-specific rules of thumb are basically carbine=7", mid-length=9", rifle=12"

Edited by McAllyn

Carbine, midlength, and rifle ARE gas system specs. Most handguards don't cover the gas block.

That's what I did on my last build. Mid-length DD Lite rail over carbine gas. It was a 300 blackout, so I couldn't use a middy gas system.

How do you like the lite rail? I have an Omega X and eyeballed one of the lite rails for a future build.