Meatloaf anyone?

hipower

No, not a dinner request. Anyone here go to see Meatloaf tonight at the Ryman?

Amazing collection of overage rockers there. Some holding up fairly well, some not so well. Not sure which catagory to put myself in.

Anyway, a great show. Drug my wife, who's not a Meat fan, along. About midway thru, she leans over and says "You know I have to love you to come to this with you."

Nice sentiment, but no appreciation for Meat's vocals and Jim Steinman's lyrics.

But gotta say I enjoyed the heck out of it. Best time I've had since the Blue Man show a few years ago.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like his music and wouldn't mind seeing him live - although part of me would be hesitant that he could no longer hit all those power notes which would kind of ruin my image of him.

As far as Steinman's lyrics, there are few lines from songs in any genre that, being a fan of irony and sardonic humor, I find funnier than the last, few lines of "Paradise by the Dashboard Light."

As I remember it:

I couldn't take it any longer

Lawd, I was crazed

and then that feeling came upon me

like a tidal wave

I started swearing to my God

and on my mother's grave

that I would love you 'til the end of time

I swore I would love you 'til the end of time

So now I'm praying for the end of time

to hurry up and arrive

'cause if I have to spend another minute with you

I don't think that I can really survive

I'll never break my promise

won't forget my vow

but God only knows

what I could do right now

Praying for the end of time

is all that I can do (ooo ooo)

Praying for the end of time

so I can end my time with you

Edited by JAB

Yeah, JAB. Steinman's lyrics do hit a cord with most of us. Meat's great voice does them justice. At 64, he is slowing down a bit it seems. Didn't seem to have the power in the vocals as in the past, and maybe not the high range of his younger days; but still has the stage presencse and showmanship that has sustained him for years.

As with most live shows, to me anyway, the vocals are drowned out by the volume of the music. I knew it wouldn't be like listening to a recording, but still glad I took the opportunity to see Meat again live.

As you'd expect, selections ranged from old to newer songs, with the crowd reaction being the wildest at the well-known staples. And it was an audience singalong for those. Sadly for the young couple in their 30s beside me, I did join in.

Did a great encore set finishing with Two Outta Three Aint Bad and we all went kinda wild. Can't say I've ever felt the floors bounce and vibrate in the Ryman from footstomping before.

All in all a great experience for me at least. Maybe just an attempt to relieve some old memerories, but some of the best ticket money I've ever spent.