Is this a wolf?

FIrst off, I have not seen any black panthers. Last night I was driving down Sneed road and saw what I thought was a coyote. As I got closer I could tell it was to large to be a coyote. It was standing up by the road. Cars were slowing down to look at it and one car pulled over and stopped. I was not able to stop. This thing had to be 80-100 lbs. It was bigger than my buddies 70 lbs chocolate lab. I was not able to bet a pic last night.

This morning my son calls me from work and says you will never guess what I saw this morning. Same place he saw what he thought was a wolf and got a pic of it. It is not a great pic but you can clearly see the animal.

I am guessing it is either somebodys pet wolf or a coyote/husky(or something similar) hybrid.

Your thoughts?

wolf1.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest adamoxtwo

A Wolf/Shepard Mix is possible. However, with the reintroduction of wolves in the Northwest, I wouldn't be surprised if they start popping up in area they have never been in before. I know they aren't native to this area, but anything is possible I suppose.

I've seen that one too, KahrMan. If it's a 'yote, it's the Godzilla of 'yotes. I've seen him around the large horse farm on the south side of Sneed near Vaughn Rd. I wondered if it might be a red wolf. they were reintroduced to N. Carolina back in the 1980s, but I don't think there are enough in the wild to have spread this far yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_wolf

Edited by monkeylizard

I've seen that one too, KahrMan. If it's a 'yote, it's the Godzilla of 'yotes. I've seen him around the large horse farm on the south side of Sneed near Vaughn Rd. I wondered if it might be a red wolf. they were reintroduced to N. Carolina back in the 1980s, but I don't think there are enough in the wild to have spread this far yet.

They were also reintroduced into North Eastern Arkansas a few years back.

That's not a purebred GSD. Could easily be a hybrid though. A wolf is usually a lot leaner and smaller than you think. For reference:

110lb GSD

IMG_0061.jpg

True Wolf

IMG_0159.jpg

Wolf/Malamute hybrid - 110lbs but ginormous! Bigger than the GSD in the first picture, and he's not little either.

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

I've seen that one too, KahrMan. If it's a 'yote, it's the Godzilla of 'yotes. I've seen him around the large horse farm on the south side of Sneed near Vaughn Rd.

That's the one. I got a good look at his face yesterday. His head and face seemed fuller, more muscular than a yote. I know yotes get that big in the north east but I have never seen one that big around here. I am almost positive it is not a dog. Maybe it is a hybrid, not sure. All I know is that I have spent my entire life hunting and roaming the woods around here and my reaction was holy crap that thing is huge.

Damn, I honestly can't tell what that is. Perhaps it's a dog mix. I really don't think a wolf is going to allow so many people to photograph it. My neighbors think my dog is a wolf. They are terrified of her.

IMG_20120812_121926.jpg?t=1344788437

Eric, beautiful Husky.

As far as the op's question and pics; my vote is for a Malmute. Bigger than the Husky and Siberians usually, and this animal seems marked up in that way. Can't lay my hads on the pics right now, but looks just like the Malmute I had long ago. Great loving and protective animal.

It's markings are very similar to the red wolf. Specifically, I'm looking at the black down the tail to the tip, the black on the sholders and the white front legs. Although, a hybrid could still have similar markings. I've had huskies before, but this looks a little different.

A red wolf pic... red-wolf.jpg

Eric, beautiful Husky.

As far as the op's question and pics; my vote is for a Malmute. Bigger than the Husky and Siberians usually, and this animal seems marked up in that way. Can't lay my hads on the pics right now, but looks just like the Malmute I had long ago. Great loving and protective animal.

It could be. Malmutes are huge dogs. Here's a pic of one...

aa_sable.jpg