Do you carry your firearm with one in the chamber?

Do you carry your firearm with one in the chamber?  

284 members have voted

1. 1. Do you carry with one in the chamber?

• Yes, all the time.
    • No, never.
    • Sometimes, depends on my mood and weapon.
    • What's a gun?!

My hcp instructor made a good point about carrying without one in the chamber. He said if you need your firearm and time is of the essences, every additional step will take 3x as long under pressure. So if you have a safety on and no round in the chamber and the gun is tucked away , those 3 steps may make t where you will not be ready to defend yourself for 5-10 seconds. Do you want to waste that time fiddlen around with stuff?

I did have reservations at first pocket carrying my .380 without a safety but after discussion I felt more comfortable. Now that I found a good holster for my .40 is carry that more. All with one in the chamber

Would definitely file a report(not necessarily a complaint) with local PD. That way if new officer he is corrected on the law and if liar he is reprimanded for lying to a upstanding citizen. I get lied to by customers at work all the time about things that don't matter. It is very frustrating. I expect more from law enforcement. And back to topic, every handgun on me or in my house is chambered and safe.

JTM

Sent from my iPhone

I'm going to go against the grain here, only because I'm talking about ME!

I don't carry my 1911 cocked and locked because my blood brother is Murphy. If it can happen, it will happen to me. For instance...

Walking along in the front yard with only one 12" stick in all the yard, and it gets badly entangled in my shoe laces. Constantly get my pants entangled in my tractor controls almost every time dismounting the thing. My seat belt gets snagged on my 1911 many times while getting out of the vehicle. On and on...

It only takes me a fraction of a second to rack the slide and I don't have to disengage the safety.

Not saying that's the best way to carry for most people but, I'm not chancing a ND with my clumsy luck.

As I like to say, "the world is a safer place when Dennis1209 doesn't carry cocked and locked" :wave:

• Like 1

I'm going to go against the grain here, only because I'm talking about ME!

I don't carry my 1911 cocked and locked because my blood brother is Murphy. If it can happen, it will happen to me. For instance...

Walking along in the front yard with only one 12" stick in all the yard, and it gets badly entangled in my shoe laces. Constantly get my pants entangled in my tractor controls almost every time dismounting the thing. My seat belt gets snagged on my 1911 many times while getting out of the vehicle. On and on...

It only takes me a fraction of a second to rack the slide and I don't have to disengage the safety.

Not saying that's the best way to carry for most people but, I'm not chancing a ND with my clumsy luck.

As I like to say, "the world is a safer place when Dennis1209 doesn't carry cocked and locked" :wave:

After having met and talked with Dennis, I very sincerely doubt his last statement.

But I will say it is for me a matter of choice. I choose to carry loaded and ready. Maybe it's not for everyone, but works for me.

Guest dfsixstring

I always have one in the chamber

Whilst travelling to Springfield TN.... He told me that he could arrest me for having one in the chamber and asked me to return to my vehicle and unload my firearm...

How did he know you were carrying?

Dfsixstring

SR9c

LCP

RST4S

I remember how unnerving the thought of carrying one in the chamber was until I spent one whole day at home carrying that way. That convinced me that my weapon was not going to do anything until I clear leather and pull the trigger. But it didn't matter how many people told me that it wouldn't; I had to convince myself.

Now it's the thought of carrying with an empty chamber that unnerves me.

Edited by DaddyO
  • Like 1

I carry chambered, no safety

My reasoning is if a threat comes at me very close. From what i have considered/practiced I would attempt to hold them off or push them back with my left arm and draw with my right (or in extreme situation my left although it aint easy.) But one thing is for sure I can't conceive how i'd operate the slide with one hand and the other tied up in a fight. I wonder if i could draw at all. Fighting them off would be #1 and if i could get one step back it'd be ideal but if i could hold them off enough to draw to a weapon retention position just below my armpit close to my body i'd be ok

(Oh yeah, it feels dangerous to shoot from here because its so close to your chest but to me it seems like a very realistic scenario in a bad situation, so i practice it. I think in a real fight there's a good chance you may shoot yourself in the left hand or forearm, but hey you're alive if you also neutralize the threat)

• Like 2
I carry chambered, no safety

My reasoning is if a threat comes at me very close. From what i have considered/practiced I would attempt to hold them off or push them back with my left arm and draw with my right (or in extreme situation my left although it aint easy.) But one thing is for sure I can't conceive how i'd operate the slide with one hand and the other tied up in a fight. I wonder if i could draw at all. Fighting them off would be #1 and if i could get one step back it'd be ideal but if i could hold them off enough to draw to a weapon retention position just below my armpit close to my body i'd be ok

(Oh yeah, it feels dangerous to shoot from here because its so close to your chest but to me it seems like a very realistic scenario in a bad situation, so i practice it. I think in a real fight there's a good chance you may shoot yourself in the left hand or forearm, but hey you're alive if you also neutralize the threat)

There are ways to rack a round one handed. I think there are some youtube vids out there. It's useful to know & practice in the event you are one arm injured(or strong hand) & need to clear a jam or reload. Though I hope to never be in that sort of drawn out engagement, not knowing those 'advanced' options leaves you with a disadvantage of having a 20+ oz l shaped baton.

*always loaded, wth is a safety?*

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

There are ways to rack a round one handed. I think there are some youtube vids out there. It's useful to know & practice in the event you are one arm injured(or strong hand) & need to clear a jam or reload. Though I hope to never be in that sort of drawn out engagement, not knowing those 'advanced' options leaves you with a disadvantage of having a 20+ oz l shaped baton.

It would also depend on sights. With really high sights I've seen people rack the slide off their belt.

M1911, Condition One Cocked and Locked. Perhaps the safest way to carry a 1911. Two safeties and a trigger holding back heavy duty personal protection firepower. Three safeties in a thumb-break holster.

Same here except for the thumb break or carrying a striker fire but always one in the chamber. I've had these discussions with the folks that freak out over a cocked 1911 when they see that hammer back.

• Like 1
Guest ArmaDeFuego

I'm sorry, but I always have to chuckle to myself a little bit when someone asks if you CARRY with a round in the chamber. What the hell other kind of way is there to carry? Whats the point of carrying an unloaded gun? Its just ridiculous, I'm sorry.......

Now in your house is a different story. Sometimes I have my guns with a magazine in but no round chambered. I train to immediately rack it when I'm at home so if in a SHTF situation I wont forget to do it & it will be second nature. But out & about & not having one chambered? Thats just dumb.

You're right, I do need to practice.

I have practiced pounding stuff with a hammer or a rock before. I figure I'll use the same kinda technique...backup, backup plan i guess.

You're right, I do need to practice.

I have practiced pounding stuff with a hammer or a rock before. I figure I'll use the same kinda technique...backup, backup plan i guess.

I used to practice the one handed racking in a different life. Not hard to do for the folks with a hard holster like a serpa or kydex. It still can be done without either with a little practice though on the larger frame pistols. Would be pretty difficult on those mouseguns since they're so tight.