rifles in vehicles?

SingleStack

Hope this is an ok place for this thread. what are the rules on carrying rifles in your vehicle? can they be carried loaded within reach?

Im currently living in mt and whats ok here might not be ok there. Just trying to get an idea of what to expect in tennessee. my wife and i will be relocating this spring. thanks.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, if you do not have a TN HCP, then the rifle must be unloaded, and the ammo must be completely separate from the firearm. You cannot have a loaded mag next to the firearm.

Edit: FYI - If you have a MT permit and you become a TN resident, you must obtain a TN HCP within 6 months of moving here if you want to continue carrying a firearm.

Edited by Reservoir Dog

Ive always heard it is suppoaed to be separate from the gun totally. Like gun in the window rack, and ammo in the glove box. Also keep in mind we dont have concealed carry permits, we have handgun carry permits. I know it seems stupid, but I know some states you can carry open with no permit, only need one if you carry concealed.

Edited by Spots
Guest BungieCord

From Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1307(e)(2), Unlawful carrying or possession of a weapon:

It is an exception to the application of subsection (a) that a person who is not authorized to possess a handgun pursuant to § 39-17-1351 is transporting a rifle or shotgun in or on a privately-owned motor vehicle and the rifle or shotgun does not have ammunition in the chamber or cylinder, and no clip or magazine containing ammunition is inserted in the rifle or shotgun or is in close proximity to both the weapon and any person.

thanks for the answers. me no understand legal talk :shrug: but i guess just keep loaded mags seperate from firearm. in mt you can get pulled over with a chambered ak next to you, the cop just wants tell you what his favorite aks varient is. one more quik question where is the best place to post non firearm related questions about life in tennessee?

thanks for the answers. me no understand legal talk

It is a crime to carry a loaded gun in this state. The discretion of the Officer and how and why he finds it will determine if it is in close proximity or readily available, and whether or not you get arrested. If arrested, you can then make your case in court.

Or… you can get a Handgun Carry Permit which in this state also allows you to carry a loaded rifle, just can’t have a round chambered.

Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1301 has the definitions for the 39-17-13xx section covering weapons.

"Unloaded" means the rifle, shotgun or handgun does not have ammunition in the chamber, cylinder, clip or magazine, and no clip or magazine is in the immediate vicinity of the weapon.

Note that by this definition, a loaded clip or magazine, even separated from the firearm, can still be considered a loaded weapon in TN.

The best thing you can do when arriving in TN is get a Handgun Carry Permit (HCP). It makes things a lot easier. With an HCP, as other have said, you just have to have the chamber empty. Magazines, proximity, etc. no longer really matter once you have an HCP. Just keep that chamber empty.

Edited by monkeylizard

Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1301 has the definitions for the 39-17-13xx section covering weapons.

"Unloaded" means the rifle, shotgun or handgun does not have ammunition in the chamber, cylinder, clip or magazine, and no clip or magazine is in the immediate vicinity of the weapon.

Note that by this definition, a loaded clip or magazine, even separated from the firearm, can still be considered a loaded weapon in TN....

Often quoted. Safe to say that's an archaic definition, and I'd opine that there's a good chance the word "loaded" was inadvertently left out, as far as intent of the thing.

But whatever, it's obvious that the precise actual defenses and exceptions in the subsequent sections are the real world determinants for actual charges and adjudication.

LEO's just don't bust folks for having unloaded mags with their guns, and even should one do so, no way would a conviction occur. If that were a real factor of concern, we'd know about it.

- OS.

Edited by OhShoot

thanks for the answers. me no understand legal talk :shrug: but i guess just keep loaded mags seperate from firearm. in mt you can get pulled over with a chambered ak next to you, the cop just wants tell you what his favorite aks varient is. one more quik question where is the best place to post non firearm related questions about life in tennessee?

Post up general questions in the "General Chat" forum. You can post up anything there from discussions about where good places are to eat to what areas have the best school systems. I know several LEOs and most all of them encourage us good guys to carry. As it was already said, if you have your permit long gun can be loaded but the chamber can not. Most LEOs that I know would say something like "That mag is loaded isn't it?" and give me a "Why not?" if it isn't. I also live in a very rural area, the same will not apply when you get to the city.

LEO's just don't bust folks for having unloaded mags with their guns, and even should one do so, no way would a conviction occur. If that were a real factor of concern, we'd know about it.

- OS.

Yeah. I was thinking that one might use that to add on a charge or two though, but only if one gave him/her reason to want to make your life difficult.

Yeah. I was thinking that one might use that to add on a charge or two though, but only if one gave him/her reason to want to make your life difficult.

Pretty certain they aren't instructed that it's an offense in academy; doubt if any to speak of even know of that definition.

- OS

Tennessee is about the only southern state that I can think of where you cannot actually have a loaded rifle or shotgun in your vehicle. It is silly that you need a permit just to have the magazine loaded!

It is probably one of the few southern states where you need a permit to keep a loaded handgun in your car. Most surrounding states someone without a permit can have a pistol loaded in the glovebox or console. Again very silly.

It is probably one of the few southern states where you need a permit to keep a loaded handgun in your car. Most surrounding states someone without a permit can have a pistol loaded in the glovebox or console. Again very silly.

That's the crux of the problem with the "parking lot carry" effort too. TN simply needs to extend all domicile rights to vehicle.

What's really totally full tilt bozo is that:

1. illegal to have loaded weapon in vehicle without a permit

2. legal to use deadly force for forcible entry into vehicle

3. if you do #2, not guilty of # 1

It's just patently absurd that a basic provision for self defense within the confines of his own property gives an otherwise law abiding citizen a criminal record.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Yeah we need to just legalize the carry of weapons in vehicles at least without a permit, just like how it is legal in Mississippi. That might have a decent chance in the legislature.

Tennessee isn't too bad despite all the crap you have to put up with when it comes to carrying a firearm. It's still a nice conservative place to live with deep rooted traditions. Still a lot different than the open spaces of Montana. I think Western Montana is a very beautiful place. I have only been there once and have wanted to visit again every since. You can drive for miles without seeing another human being. That never happens here. If it weren't for my family I would move out west in a heart beat.

this is the first I have heard about a CCL and one in the chamber Can anyone post up the statute? Might have to change my carryin' ways.

You understand the "without one in chamber" refers to rifle in vehicle only, and not handguns, yes?

Here, you can bone up on all the weapons laws, they stick better if you ferret them out yourself, I've found.

http://www.lexisnexi...ttopics/tncode/

39-17-13

The long gun in vehicle part is in 39-17-1307

- OS

Edited by OhShoot