RRA LAR-9

Troutburger

Well I must have gotten over my heartburn with ole RRA. Either that or I have battered wife syndrome.

Took the plunge and hooked up with AR in 9mm. Its a dedicated lower, magpul goodies and EoTech on top.

They were really on the ball with this order. Placed it on 8/30 and rifle in hand 9/25. Will be a few weeks before I get to try it out, but i'm pretty stoked.

F7139B7B-71B9-4C26-9673-A4A9B5E6FD60-1769-0000014E9F454656.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice rifle. many mango seasons ago i had a colt smg. it was an issue rifle for the job. but i had to do lots of range time with it. what a fun gun to shoot. the 9mm in a rifle is like shooting a 22lr,, no recoil,,no problems. just pure fun to shoot and easy to control even on full auto.

Envy

I figured you'd be along. I thought with RRA's lead times one wouldn't be able to ever get something delivered. At least not while staying sane.

Needless to say I was surprised the OP received it as quickly as he did and now I'm thinking I might give it a shot.

Edited by FIST
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Well finally made it to the range yesterday. I am sad to report this one so far is a DUD.

Prior to the range visit I field stripped the rifle and lubed it up real well.

First round fired FTE, some how the spent brass went back into the receiver and was blocking the hammer. Had to pull the rear pin to clear the malfunction. Next mag ran through completely no hang ups. Then SHTF, I could not get more than 5 rounds to run through the rifle without a FTE. The stove pipes were many and of various severity. Most I could drop the mag, rack the bolt and reload. Several were jammed so tightly it almost took 3 hands to clear.

The bolt was moving rearward enough to strip a new round from the mag, so I suspect an extractor problem.

I have 4 RRA mags with BHO and one converted UZI mag RRA supplied with the gun. I deliberately only loaded the mags to appx 20 rounds vs 32 to give a little leeway.

Went through over 100 rounds all 115 grain WWB. Tried a few wolf and some PMC.
I bought my RRA LAR-9 from Bud's Discount Guns in Lexington, KY. I have put 300 rds thru it with no problems. No feed problems and very accurate, fun to shoot for almost no recoil. My wife calls it her gun. She can tear up target at 25 yds and can hit top portion of bowling pins. I bought my mags from Outpost Armory, they hold bolt open on last round. Edited by lshel
[quote name='lshel' timestamp='1354126844' post='852007']
I bought my RRA LAR-9 from Bud's Discount Guns in Lexington, KY. I have put 300 rds thru it with no problems. No feed problems and very accurate, fun to shoot for almost no recoil. My wife calls it her gun. She can tear up target at 25 yds and can hit top portion of bowling pins. I bought my mags from Outpost Armory, they hold bolt open on last round.
[/quote]

What kind of ammo are you shooting?

The rifle does seem to be very accurate. I'm sure my problem just an extractor or ejector issue, they could fix in 10 minutes. Its just frustrating trying to get it there and back...
Looks like the extractor is slipping off the rim. Check the extractor and spring. Are the cases sticky in the chamber? Look for a burr in the chamber or tell-tale axial scratches on the spent cases. Also check the gas key.

It may be something you can fix yourself. Even if it costs a few $$, that may be better than waiting weeks for them to fix it.
  • 2 weeks later...
I think I may have fixed the LAR-9. There was a ridge on the bottom of the bolt that was digging into the hammer.
Took the dremel polished the hammer smooth and ground/polished the ridge on the bolt. Action doesn't pause halfway now.

My hopes are that the burr was slowing the momentum of the bolt and causing the FTE's

[img]http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii279/troutburger/5A0CE882-653D-49C5-BFFA-5007112A83B9-908-000000D1EE88C714.jpg[/img]
  • 2 weeks later...

I just let my granddaughter (16) and grandson (18) put 100 rds thru my RRA LAR-9 today. They took turns shooting at bowling pins and then resetting them.

Both were able to consistently hit a pin with each shot. On the last round (#100) had a high feed problem from mag, no problems before. They really enjoyed themselves and took photos to show mom and dad.