thinking about buying a 512 eotech

my82cam

You were probably looking at counterfeit Eotech's then. They use N cell (511/551), AA (512/552) and CR123's (516/553, (E)XPS, etc).

No EOTech uses a AAA.

I didn't think they did, but I could have swore I was on their main site. Then again, I don't believe I had my cup of coffee yet yesterday morning when I posted that.

I am red/green color blind and cannot use an Aimpoint or most any other red dot device. It takes me several seconds to find the dot and I have to intentionally focus on it to keep from losing it. THose seconds and loss of concentration equals death.

The Eotech is the only one I can use. I still have the same difficulty with the center dot but the bright circle draws my eye to it and I have no delay in taking aim. For this reason I am I staunch supporter of Eotech. THey are rugged and simple. I like the AA version best even if it is a little bulky compared to the 123 version. The bulkiness is trivial though and you can buy a nice NiCad charger and a couple sets of high quality rechargeable NiCad batteries and you're set. I keep two sets and I have some ENergizer Lithium camera batteries in the battery compartment of my Magpul stock for emergencies.

I've messed up my shoulder recently and as a result have become very unstable shooting from an unsupported position yet I have no problems hitting a clay target at 100 yards with my Eotech. I don't care about being any more accurate then that. Minute of zombie brain is as accurate as I will ever need to be.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

i had this issue the other day... i went to outpost armory and looked at many sights in the 400-500 range... i looked thru all the eotechs they had... they looks really pix-elated to me... think its the lazier they use but still a good site and i almost got one ... also looked at a vtx viper pst i think it was...i want one bad but wasn't sure of the reliability and name of the product... also looked at the aimpoint compM products...the dot in those are ok...i have astigmatism so i see a blob in the rectical... then i looked at the trijicon reflex...no batteries was a good selling point to me... long store visit made short...i went with a trijicon rx30 reflex... has a perfect amber dot...big 42mm tube... and i can actually see the dot in it rather than a blob of dots

I had a 512 on my SCAR but finally decided to switch to a Trijicon Reflex; I find the Trijicon easier to use and no batteries, switches, etc to worry about...you just mount the rifle to your shoulder and you are ready to go.

That said, I don't think you would be going wrong with a 512; I just decided I wanted something else. :)

• Like 1

Does the illumination fade in those over time like in tritium night sights? I believe the glow is gone after 10 years in a nightsight...not sure about the scopes.

well i got a heck of a deal on that trijicon... it has a life time warranty and last for 15 years... when it goes out u send it back and they replace the tritium... it also has the fiberoptics on top so when u go into low light like i tested last night in the yard it automatically deems... but in day light its super bright... the dot is really crisp too... the eotechs where running like $480 something i think... and take cre123 batteries... 1100 hour run time... no batteries to worry about with the trijicon... it was marked 425 but i got him down to 400 + tax of course... only think is it didn't come with a mounting base and they didnt have it there so im ordering one off the net... i do still like the eotech though... the one i looked at had a huge like 60 moa dot and 2 smaller 1-1.5 moa dots inside the big dot... but trijicon makes a rx06 i think... its smaller than the rx30... id check them out for sure though before u blow 400 plus dollars on a sight...

Edited by carter
  • Moderators

I had a 512 on my SCAR but finally decided to switch to a Trijicon Reflex; I find the Trijicon easier to use and no batteries, switches, etc to worry about...you just mount the rifle to your shoulder and you are ready to go.

That said, I don't think you would be going wrong with a 512; I just decided I wanted something else. :)

I handled a Trijicon Reflex for the first time the other day and I was instantly enamored with it. I really like this particular piece of kit. It will be going on my rifle.

yea... thats what the instruction booklet said... for those who read them lol... i usually don't but was bored and decided to finger thru it... but it stated its warranted for 15 years from date of manufacture and if it goes out at any time just send it in and they will replace the lamp... at a cost im sure but cheaper tha buying a new site... and for what you'd spend in batteries over the years i think its a good deal... cre123 batteries aren't cheap... and i did look into the 512...it does take the regular batteries...AAA i think or something... but my buddy just got an AimPoint compM and i wasnt aware the batteris in that lasted so long...said 6-8 years... but both AimPoint and Trijicon are built like tanks and are battle proven... i couldn't see passing up a trijicon for $400 bucks... no mount though... i got the throw lever mount for it which if u go that route make sure u purchase the spacer also...

but both AimPoint and Trijicon are built like tanks and are battle proven... i couldn't see passing up a trijicon for $400 bucks... no mount though... i got the throw lever mount for it which if u go that route make sure u purchase the spacer also...

You bought an Triji ACOG? Or the Triji TriPower?

[quote name='xRUSTYx' timestamp='1351194462' post='833589']
I'm a big eotech fan ... can't go wrong with a 512. eotech's work, and work well. you should have zero issues :)
[/quote]

Agreed... I have two 512s and a 555. Never an issue and rock solid accurate.

Here's a 512 mounted on my SOCOM...
[img]http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o95/hobunchastuf/My%20Gun%20Pics/SOCOM%20II/ScoutFolder08.jpg[/img]

I read someone talking about getting the 517 if you planned on using a magnifier, is that true? I dont mean because of the side buttons but because of the 7mm higher mount. I was under the impression that most of the flip to the side magnifiers would work/line up with the 512(planning on buying one soon for my M&P Sport). Anybody? Thanks!