The big question - concealed or open?

How are they gonna jack your car without a weapon? Give me your car, or I'll call you a doodie head? :) If they threaten you with a weapon, fire away.

I was wondering the same thing. It's rare (as in very) for me to be unarmed; especially in my vehicle and I'm sure as hell not going to give up my vehicle to some unarmed punk....if he's armed and he shows it I am going to do my best to introduce him someone he probably won't like.

Is it that cut and dry, if someone armed robs you, you are automatically in "true" fear for your life, so you can shoot in the name of self/defense? I thought the law would still argue the shooter killed over property.

If it is that cut and dry, happy shooting. :D

If a bad guy shows a weapon he IS threatening deadly force and you have every right to respond in kind; I don't consider it a mere "property crime" at that point.

No one can guarantee what a DA or a jury might or might not do later but I'm not going to not defend myself because I'm worried about the future; I will do what I can to help ensure that I HAVE a future and then deal with the consequences.

• Like 1

Is it that cut and dry, if someone armed robs you, you are automatically in "true" fear for your life, so you can shoot in the name of self/defense? I thought the law would still argue the shooter killed over property.

If somebody threatens me with a gun, I'll shoot them. Yes, it's that cut and dry.

• Like 1

Think about it! The only reason you would give up your property of any kind is out of fear of severe bodily harm or death.

Thanks for the comments. I browse with a smartphone 90% of the time. I had been meaning to search this topic (how I hijacked the original thread) when I was on a PC. Searching with tapatalk isn't as easy as a PC. I guess it is cut and dry. Deadly force begats deadly force.

Guest Gen. Patton
I open carry when I'm outside in my own yard doing work in the Summer if it's hot enough that I want to take my shirt off. Other than that I can only predict unnecessary confusion and hostility from people who don't like guns. It's not fair but where is it written that everything in life is fair? In my opinion, unless someone is about to immediately be shot by me there's no need for anyone to know if I have a gun anyway. I don't use the fact that I have a gun or that others know I have a gun, in negotions or in my dealings with people so it's not necessary. I've been in heated discussions that could have gone in very different directions had the opposing party known I had a firearm. Not to mention if they had gone and called the police later and the police found me afterwards with a gun on me, where the person that called the cops said it would be, I would predict that a ride to jail was in my immediate future. And like I heard a Shelby County Sheffif's Deputy tell a smart-mouthed punk as he was handcuffing him and placing him under arrest, "You might be able to beat the charge but you can't beat the ride! Now head down ###hole! In you go!"

That was ####ed up; but I laughed so hard!

As far as the carjacking question is concerned, if carjacking is a felony and a vehicle can be used to assault (as in hit or run over someone) can't an argument be made that shooting that person was necessary to safeguard human life? I guess stepping in front of the vehicle and firing through the front windshield would allow the argument that the carjacker was armed also; not with a gun but with the vehicle itself that could run over and kill you or others in the area as the carjacker escapes the scene of the felony. I think that a DA would have a hard time trying to argue that you should have allowed the carjacked to plow over you and others at the scene of the crime.
Guest Gen. Patton
[quote name='mikegideon' timestamp='1352130854' post='839365']
The argument can be made that he threatened to shoot me, and I believed him.
[/quote]

Or better yet, "As he took my keys he said he was gonna run over me! Twice to make sure I was dead! I swear! And when I saw that look in his eyes I knew he meant it!" LOL!!!

Those detectives are gonna be behind the 1-way glass fallin' off of their stools and choking on coffee laughing!

Don't say that! LOL!
Guest Gen. Patton
Now that I think about it I can recall a specific situation in which open carry almost went too far. Me and my daughter were eating at a McDonalds one Sunday morning and I was wearing a suit with my 1911 in an IWB holster but since my dress shirt was tucked in my firearm showed with my suit jacket off. This guy who had come out of the bathroom and had walked by had seen my gun on my hip and immediately asked me with a little puzzled look on his face, "Are you a law enforcement officer or a detective or something?" As if I owed him, a fellow citizen without any authority over me, an explination as to why I was exercising my 2nd Ammendment right to bear arms. I responded, "No. Are you?" He said, "No but I was just wondering" and I cut him off, "I was in the military and I'm a great shot though and since my gun is in a safe place it's fine, sir. Me and my daughter are enjoying our breakfast so have a nice day sir." By the time I said that I could see, and he could see also, his wife begining to walk over holding their child's hand in one hand and their food in another and she said, "Ok, baby let's go." And that's when he and I broke eye contact and he left with his family. His wife saved him a good ass-whippin' because he had about two more words to say to me before the situation went to another level.

As they left I noticed that the licence plate on their car indicated that they were from Illinois and it all made sense to me. Of coarse someone who comes from the only state in the Union that has no provision for the carrying of a firearm by a private citizen for self-defense dosen't understand. Why would he? If he had any sense he'd move him and his family out of there and go somewhere that will allow him to fully protect his family. I pittied him actually. I'm glad I didn't beat the crap out of him in front of his family and my daughter that day. I'm proud of myself!
As for the OP, sometimes suprise is better than out in the open, sometimes having it out in the open can stop a problem from occurring. It's all about how one prefers to carry their firearm.

I personally prefer Concealed for my day to day carry, but out on the trails or kayaking or fishing, i like mine out. Riding fourwheelers, it keeps the drunks from wanting to start something. Edited by Wyldk2
Guest rebeldrummer

Concealed about 80% of the time.
Work = concealed
Church = concealed
Anytime I have to dress up (wear a tie ) = concealed
All others....depends on how I feel...cold weather and bulky warm clothes make it easy to wear OWB and still be covered up.
Hot weather and just a shirt usually translates into IWB just to minimize printing. Unless its super hot and I just want an extra layer between a sweaty me and my holster. There was another thread on this board showing how a Glock rusted a bit due to being carried IWB and getting hot and humid time after time.

It's all personal preference....good luck and enjoy.
And next time....use the search function :)
We have all been guilty of it...don't sweat it

[quote name='Gen. Patton' timestamp='1352160354' post='839644']
LOL! I was gonna be whippin' his ass and singing "Tennessee Stud" at the same time! LOL!
[/quote]
It might have ended that way.

Or it might have ended with that Yankee whoopin’ your azz all over that McDonalds, taking your “Sunday go to meetin’ 1911" away from you, and then having you arrested for felony assault. [img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y111/TourGlide/Web%20Stuff/biggrin.gif[/img]

All joking aside, getting in a confrontation while armed probably isn’t going to end well for you. Especially if the person decides to be less than truthful.
  • Like 1
  • Administrator
We [b]REALLY[/b] do not need another one of these threads. While the OP may be "[i]a few years away from being able to legally acquire a carry permit[/i]" he is most certainly not prohibited from doing a search of this site to find the dozens of other threads about this very topic.

Thread closed.