Carry on the first date?

After recently getting divorced, I've finally come to that point where I feel like I can have a little fun. I was married to my ex for 4 years, during the time I had been able to introduce firearms to her in a subtle manner (and I got my HCP on the third year), so I've never had to fool around with the whole first date carrying deal. This is a new thing for me. So, good idea, bad idea--any experience?

Much obliged.
  • Moderators

In a more serious manner, I remember a time ago at a Christmas get together amongst friends, my wife (just an acquaintance at the time) was talking to someone else and made mention that "I will never hold a gun". She pretty much thought they were evil, mostly because that was they way she had been taught.

Fast forward until a few years ago when we started dating and I introduced them to her and also gave her some logical thoughts, she became open to them. When I told her I was getting my permit at first she was like "You mean you want to carry all the time? Sometimes I can understand but all the time? Even like if we are just going out to get something to eat or something?". Since then there have been a few times that she has made mention to her friends about how safe she feels with me and is glad that I take the responsibility of carrying a firearm.

Remember, it's a firearm, not a gun. Guns are bad, firearms are good!

My vote is to carry, but keep it in the pants :rofl:

Usually a quick explanation is sufficient. That's been my experience.

I always carry, so it's kind of a deal breaker if she's not down with it. I've had it turn into some great second dates as well once she found out.

Mike Edited by Mike
Some chicks are crazy about that stuff, so first impressions may be bad if she notices you packing. It isn't normal to carry a gun, and that is how most chicks will see it. Either don't carry or carry something small that conceals well.
Conceal and keep it quite. Don't bring it up or address it at all. Then if things get more serious and she eventually finds out if she is bothered you can inform her it was there the whole time and never once caused an issue then.

I would be unable to date someone that tried to limit my ability to carry.
[quote name='maroonandwhite' timestamp='1352420682' post='842129']I would just tell her up front. If she doesn't like it stand your ground. She may or may not appreciate a man with strong principles.[/quote]

Unless she wears a badge or Wranglers she will probably not react favorably to that conversation. I'd play the averages and assume she is like most women who would find carrying a firearm as abnormal. Save it for later as you get to know each other better. If you fail to make a positive first impression don't expect a call back.
(long pause) . . .

Most women are not going to want to see your gun on a first date.

Get to know her better before you show it to her.

Gradually, especially if you're gentle with her, she may be willing to touch it, and, even later, make it shoot.

If you're previously divorced, you probably know that after a certain amount of time, some women might want to take your gun away from you and lock it in a little box, or only let you use it when she's in the mood, or after you do some sort of favor for her.

Hopefully, you'll find out early enough whether or not she's actually just jealous and wants one of her own, for the sense of power it gives her, or whether she's willing to share yours, which seems to make most couples happy. Of course, if you share it with her, you'll probably be the one who ends up cleaning it.

I hope I'm being clear enough here. I am thinking that if you treat all kinds of guns with an appreciation for their power, that you introduce her to them with patience, that you use them respectfully and with finesse, and are willing to share them when she's interested, that shooting guns together will make both of you very happy. . . . Very, Very Happy. Edited by QuietDan
  • Like 6
[quote name='maroonandwhite' timestamp='1352423125' post='842157']You are probably right tmf. Should have added the " that's what I would do" disclaimer. Mine wears wranglers. Haha[/quote]

Ha, yeah I considered that a couple of my exes who rocked the Wranglers wouldn't have batted an eye at someone with a gun, but all the other ones would absolutely be put off by it. Always thought I'd end up with a redneck girl too; somehow I got a Yankee.
Don't carry a gun on the first date.

Regardless of what you might read on the internet, it is possible to live life without a gun strapped to your hip. The vast majority of the 310 million or so people in this country do it every day.

If you find a gal that doesn't have a problem with it then great. If you find one that does then [i]you [/i]need to decide what is more important.
[quote name='QuietDan' timestamp='1352423236' post='842158']
(long pause) . . .

Most women are not going to want to see your gun on a first date.

Get to know her better before you show it to her.

Gradually, especially if you're gentle with her, she may be willing to touch it, and, even later, make it shoot.

If you're previously divorced, you probably know that after a certain amount of time, some women might want to take your gun away from you and lock it in a little box, or only let you use it when she's in the mood, or after you do some sort of favor for her.

Hopefully, you'll find out early enough whether or not she's actually just jealous and wants one of her own, for the sense of power it gives her, or whether she's willing to share yours, which seems to make most couples happy. Of course, if you share it with her, you'll probably be the one who ends up cleaning it.

I hope I'm being clear enough here. I am thinking that if you treat all kinds of guns with an appreciation for their power, that you introduce her to them with patience, that you use them respectfully and with finesse, and are willing to share them when she's interested, that shooting guns together will make both of you very happy. . . . Very, Very Happy.
[/quote]Giant innuendo. Edited by gjohnsoniv
  • Like 1