Sell Me On Glock!

GlockSpock

• Moderators

Glock Lovers,

I am interested in purchasing a much simpler firearm (in terms of parts) than a CZ-75. I love them, but there are so many parts. I am interested in purchasing a Glock 19 (if I can find one locally). To me, I am curious about the Gen 3 vs Gen 4 comparisons. Weren't the Gen 4's known for reliability issues? Has that been fixed now? Please Glockers, help me to appreciate these guns. I plan on taking a look at a shop or two at 5:00.

• Like 1

Reliability issues have been addressed. No concerns there. The differences in 3 and 4... 4 with the backstraps, and the texture. Personally, I don't like the 4 texture. In summer, when I only have one shirt on, and the grip would rub against my bare skin... I don't like that sandpapering effect going on. To me, 3 is perfect.

• Like 1

CZ ...

I wouldn't just refine your search to Glocks.  XD's, M&P's, & Glocks are all VERY simple to work on and get parts for :)

My suggestion -- Go hold them all, and pick the one that's best for you.  Yes, Glock has had some bad press regarding brass to the face, but they are still quality firearms :)

All 3 brands are quality, simple, reliable, and can be found for less than $500

• Like 1
  • Moderators

I will look at all of them, that is for sure. I am hoping that due to AR's being the main buying panic right now, the local shops still have some handguns today. Magazine availability is probably my 2nd concern, I would like spare magazines to be had for $20 each (normally, I understand they may be hard to find right now). 

Do yourself a favor and quit fooling with that foreign stuff. Take a look at the M&P line. Better quality and made by Americans in America. Make the comparison.

I know that’s not what you wanted to hear, but I couldn’t help it. You will thank me later. biggrin.gif

patriot.gif

• Like 1
You can't beat a Glock for mag availability. A Beretta 92 could come close and then a S&W 59 series.
Honestly there wasn't much of a reliabity issue, it was more of a brass to face issue. Even the BTF has plauged the newer Gen3 as much as Gen4's. A pre 08 Glock is known to be a slight bit more trouble free. I however haven't had any issues with mine but I m going off of reports. Glock will still make it right if there is any troubles.
As far as Gen3 vs Gen4. It is personal preference. I do not notice rubbing IWB from a Gen4. I do like the smaller grip of gen4's even with my large hands. The dual recoil spring does diminish recoil on geb4's. Like I said personal preference, a few left ganders I know still run the right hand mag release a release with trigger finger.
  • Moderators
Do yourself a favor and quit fooling with that foreign stuff. Take a look at the M&P line. Better quality and made by Americans in America. Make the comparison.

I know that’s not what you wanted to hear, but I couldn’t help it. You will thank me later. biggrin.gif

Well, this is something I have thought about. I try to purchase American made stuff when it comes to gear/lights/etc, but in terns of handguns in a sense I am interested in a lot of them. I will take a look at SW for sure. Just as good as Glock most people say?

Guest TNSovereignty

Glock has a most-excellent LEO program if you're military or LEO, active or retired.

S&W has one too ... just not as 'excellent' IMHO.

Smith doesn't have the best record on 2nd Amendment preservation ... GOA actually boycotted them in the Clinton era.  

http://rense.com/politics6/sellout.htm

No such sellout from foreign competitors :)

• Admin Team

In the words of John Prine, "50 million Elvis Presley fans can't be all wrong."

The Glock is at the top of a lot of lists - durability, simplicity and ease of maintenance.

There are some great guns out there.  There's a reason the Glock is the best selling pistol in America. 

• Like 1
I like the M&Ps but the M&Pc is between the 19&26 size, actually a good thing. The M&P isn't quite as simple in parts and takedown. We also don't have as easy of access to spare parts with M&P's. You also have to use that stinking pin to field strip. I will say the M&P is very reliable and ergonomical. Like all other's the made it a little bit larger than the Glocks.
I was really longing for a Glock then I did a side by side, 100 rds per pistol, comparison. I fell back in love with my compact (G27 size) SW990L and threw out my case of Glock-lust. I just knew that day's test would put me over the edge to go get my own G27. What a surprise when I knew I had a keeper in my own pistol. I owed it a big apology.

The M&P line is the SW99 successor. If I was looking for a new pistol, that's what I'd consider first. And it has much more aftermarket support than the SW99 line. I could have my cake and eat it, too...

I've really tried to like Glock's. 

I started as an XD fanboy.  Tried my hand at a glock 26 but it kept biting my pinky finger.  Sold it ... Continued with XD's.  Switched to XDm's -- Found love.  Continued to lust after Glocks.  Bought another G26.  Same issue ... I was dumb enough to think something would change?

I'd like to try a G19, but soon fell in love with Walther PPQ's which are the same size and with the best stock trigger on the market.

Someday I'll give Glock another run ... 19 or larger in size :)  Until then, I'm perfectly content with my XDm's and PPQ's :)

I will take a look at SW for sure. Just as good as Glock most people say?
Better. The fit and finish is better, the ergonomics are better, three different sizes of palm swells, options that you can choose instead of being told what you need and what you don’t (Safeties, Magazine disconnects, etc.), Stainless steel chassis, priced the same as the foreign competition, and should you ever need it their customer service is the crown jewel of the industry. What’s not to like?

BTW…. Smith & Wesson was owned by the Brits when the Clinton non-sense took place. The Americans have it back.
I would need to see some proof that Glock is out selling Smith & Wesson.

But you don’t want to decide based on what you read here. I was just pointing because I think you were about to miss an opportunity if you don’t make the comparison.
Well obviously I am a Glock guy but I do like the feel of the M&P and the quality as far as I can see. That being said, it's one of the only few pistols I've never shot. I am inclined to vote Glock but either would be a good choice. You will find more parts availability with Glock. Mags, barrels, sights and such.
Yeah really either a Glock or a M&P will do you right. Something very important no one has mentioned is the triggers. Glocks out of the box are very consistent and once you get used to it is fine for ehatever tou need it for. I have noticed out of the box M&P's can be great or terrible. The apex drop in for a M&P is supposed to be match grade.
  • Admin Team
Better. The fit and finish is better, the ergonomics are better, three different sizes of palm swells, options that you can choose instead of being told what you need and what you don’t (Safeties, Magazine disconnects, etc.), Stainless steel chassis, priced the same as the foreign competition, and should you ever need it their customer service is the crown jewel of the industry. What’s not to like?

BTW…. Smith & Wesson was owned by the Brits when the Clinton non-sense took place. The Americans have it back.
I would need to see some proof that Glock is out selling Smith & Wesson.

But you don’t want to decide based on what you read here. I was just pointing because I think you were about to miss an opportunity if you don’t make the comparison.

S&W's numbers were posted in the WSJ earlier this week:

P1-BJ596A_GUNBI_G_20121218185107.jpg

I can't find any public data for Glock, even though it seems like I've seen it somewhere.  Maybe someone else can post a reference.

I think we may have a few members here who have close to that number of Glocks...

Buy a Glock 19. Every home should have one. If you're concerned that you won't like it, buy a used one. You will be able to resell it if you don't like it for as much as you paid for it. Glocks are popular and retain their value.

I recommend that you learn to shoot it before you give up on it though. Don't just dump two mags through it and decide it isn't for you.
I like the M&Ps but the M&Pc is between the 19&26 size, actually a good thing. The M&P isn't quite as simple in parts and takedown. We also don't have as easy of access to spare parts with M&P's. You also have to use that stinking pin to field strip. I will say the M&P is very reliable and ergonomical. Like all other's the made it a little bit larger than the Glocks.

All I have are m&ps now and I love them, but I find myself wanting another glock.  Parts availability, magazine availability and price, and detail stripping ease.  But FYI you don't need a tool to field strip an m&p, just lock it back, rotate the takedown lever, release the slide and pull the trigger, just like alot of other handguns.  The take down pin is used because some people have an aversion to pulling the trigger on their gun to take it down.

When I was a younger man me and my buddies would attend parties at the frat houses. We all had similar taste in women (classy, beautiful and hard to get). However, when we were at the parties I would always dance with the more approachable ladies. I always had a better time while everyone else was sitting in a corner with a safe queen.

Glocks are fun, plentiful and reliable. Safe queens while beautiful don't offer much fun if you are not dancing with it. I hope this made sense. Edited by LINKS2K
  • Like 2