M1A or AR10 ?

lshel

I've been wanting to get a long range rifle in 308. I've had a Garand with a 308 barrel and a Springfield M1A. I sadly sold both several years ago. I would like to get another M1A or AR10. I need opionions as to which is better. I feel the M1A is more accurate beyond 300yds but the AR10 would be easier to clean/maintain and lighter. 

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think you can make a m1a as accurate as an accurized ar10 for example a Larue Tactical OBR 7.62.

I see no reason to get an m1a over an ar10 aside from looks with a walnut stock or to use in a bullpup stock but thats different. The ar10 has better ergonomics, easier mag changes, lighter, more accurate if both models are accurized or high end, easier to clean or disassemble, easier to fix, easier to mount optics, just as reliable, much more customizable.

The ar10 is the modern version of the m1a. The m1a was great in its day but if you might need a quick mag change i wouldnt use anything requiring you to tilt or rock the mag in. (Aks and fals included).

I also include next gen carbines such as the scar heavy in with "AR10s" but they are quite different from normal ar10s also.
M1A is more likely to pass the "not a scary black rifle" test.
That is a reason to get the AR to me, you don't know how much longer they will be available. Can you imagine the day when the Liberals figure out that an AR-10 is just an AR-15 but more powerful? I'm not trying to push panic buying or any of that crap but if you happen to be in the market for an "evil assault weapon" and you can find one that isn't stupidly marked up then now would be the time to get it. You can always get an M1A later but I feel that it's only going to get more difficult to get an AR.

I do like the M1A a lot and would get both if I could but it comes down to what you want. They are both capable of the same accuracy so it's more of a style and "feel" preference. I am leaning toward ARs in my house these days just to keep it simple, I want my wife to be able to pick up any of my rifles and be able to use it for defense if needed. She can shoot very well but a variety of types does confuse her.

Well, that was mostly on topic, "best" can be a difficult thing to figure out. Good Luck with your search! Edited by Romad7

You are swaying me toward AR10, since I've never had one in an AR. Who makes a good one that is not high priced and what is a good price range for one, for I've never really priced any?  What barrel length?

Edited by lshel

I'll bet you have to spend a lot to compare the accuracy already built in to the M1A when buying that AR10.

They are both heavy, but that older model was designed and built for reliability and accuracy at a time when

things may have been heavier, but built so much more solid and reliable. Like that old Mauser I have that I

can barely pick up right now, I shot my M1A so well, I thought about dumping my AR's altogether. They both

are good rifles, though. Personal preference is always going to prevail.

The M1A I traded for was the best gun purchase I will have ever succeeded at. I've wanted an AR10 in the past,

but my M1A scratched that itch. I guess if you have several of everything, either one would do, but I won't be

getting rid of that M1A. I even found it's little brother, M1 carbine. Those were well engineered rifles that may

never be matched for what they are. The AR10 is just new.

You are swaying me toward AR10, since I've never had one in an AR. Who makes a good one that is not high priced and what is a good price range for one, for I've never really priced any?  What barrel length?

DPMS has good rifles in the $1200 range, I thought I read that Wal-Mart was selling one basic model for around $900. Of course this was prior to the recent events, Buds has none listed they are sold out of everything. Some locals dealers might have something but unfortunately for you this may not be a good time to buy price wise, as I doubt there will be any "deals".

Taking a look at the accessory marketplace, it appears that there is a greater choice of accessories and extras for namebrand A10s than M1As. From my own experience I would take the A10 for shots beyound 300 yards. I am concerned about the stigma toward any tactical appearing rifle...hope this doesn't last.

AR10 in my book. I have a AP4 DPMS.   I have shot a M14 and a M1A they were ok to me. I must admit though, I would like to

shoot a SOCOM model M1A. I do like the looks.

I have a Springfield Armory M1A Socom 16.

The muzzle compensator is so effective that there is essentially no recoil -- it's as if it's almost negative recoil, the compensator almost pulls the gun away from your shoulder.

A lot of rifles go "Bang!"

With it's short barrel, a SOCOM 16 goes "B A N G ! !"  It'll turn heads on an outdoor range.

If you want to intimidate rioters, thugs and other adversaries -- the look, bark and bite of a SOCOM will do it.

Edited by QuietDan
I have a Springfield Armory M1A Socom 16.

The muzzle compensator is so effective that there is essentially no recoil -- it's as if it's almost negative recoil, the compensator almost pulls the gun away from your shoulder.

A lot of rifles go "Bang!"

With it's short barrel, a SOCOM 16 goes "B A N G ! !"  It'll turn heads on an outdoor range.

If you want to intimidate rioters, thugs and other adversaries -- the look, bark and bite of a SOCOM will do it.

I have the same issue with the 16" DPMS until I installed a linear comp on it. The range people like me now.. LOL

It does increase the perceived recoil a bit though.

Military shooting teams are going to the AR10 for a long range service rifle. The AMU started this trend.  They are simple to make very accurate and need little tuning compared to an M1a. Have a good trigger on the gun, free float tube/rail, and if it is not accurate enough for you, change barrels.

I have a NM Armilite and a DPMS LR308 both shoot great. I have done pretty well shooting the Armilite in 1000yrd matches. It likes 185gr Bergers.

I like M1as and M1s but you have to tune them and keep them tuned to get best performance. AR10s are plug and play.

Disclaimer (I am talking accuracy at 800-1000yrds most people are happy if their rifles will hold 1 MOA at 100)

Guest TNSovereignty
I've not been able to find any AR10's on line or local, at a reasonable price. Maybe some day one will appear.

We're in the same boat my friend.  I'm taking another tack ... going to get a couple more Garands from CMP, and maybe a Savage 10 in .308.  Everyone has different needs ... this crazy market has me thinking about putting more emphasis on working to be a good rifleman than having the 'best' equipment.  (Ever play golf with someone with an expensive set of Pings who just plain sucks at golf???)