Walmart Ammo Observations

BryanP

I had to (god help me) go by Walmart this afternoon. While wading through the inhumanity I saw the ammo glass case and gave it a once over.

It sure does look like a lot of us switched to 9mm this year.  There was a sufficient supply of .380, .40, and .45.  There was even .38 and .357, both of which were almost nonexistent in 2008.  9mm, .22lr and .223 were cleaned out except for a few boxes of zombie max. 

Edited by BryanP

In my recent Walmart trip about the only caliber on the shelf was 380 ACP. I find it odd because in 2008 you couldn't find it to save your life. I seem to recall a box of 380 selling for $50+ back in 2008 and now it is sitting on the shelves.

I was also seeing a guy buying up all the steel cased ammo he could, 9mm, 45 ACP and 223.

Dolomite

I was also seeing a guy buying up all the steel cased ammo he could, 9mm, 45 ACP and 223.

Dolomite

He can have it. The only thing I use Russian steel case ammo for is occasionally in my 91/30... and Wal-mart usually doesn't carry that. I've tried the Tula 9mm and 45ACP, and to me the difference in the price isn't worth it. I'd rather pay a little more and get some brass. 

Just my personal opinion-- it may work great for the rest of ya.

Yeah, if I can't find any more 9mm I'm gonna have to buy .45 and borrow a gun to shoot IDPA.

I was thinking the same thing cause I shoot IDPA, 600 yard precision, trap, etc., and went and manually counted my ammunition. Went to Walmart a few days ago and no .45, .223 or 9mm to be had.

I don't shoot the .223 much so I still have 950 rounds left. Shoot usually my Glock 26 for IDPA and sometimes my .45 and getting low. Only have 400 rounds of 9mm left and 600 rounds of .45. With practicing prior to an IDPA match and the match itself, that's at least 200 rounds if you're conservative.

It won't take long to deplete my meager reserves! Then my IDPA classification is down graded to, "thrower, hand, rock, novice division"  :stunned:

went to rhe local ashland city wal mart today and bought 2 cases of fed 22lr .i have a little friend in knoxville that needs some

How did you do this? I have been checking there about every two days and they say they have none and are expecting none. The shelves have been empty.

I found them completly out of .45, .22, and .380. They had one box of 9mm remington and it was priced at $39.99--gold plated i assume. I picked up a couple boxes of .38 so i could shoot something at the range today without breaking into the ammo at the house (modest supply for times like this)

Guest ArmyVeteran37214
I had to (god help me) go by Walmart this afternoon. While wading through the inhumanity I saw the ammo glass case and gave it a once over.

It sure does look like a lot of us switched to 9mm this year.  There was a sufficient supply of .380, .40, and .45.  There was even .38 and .357, both of which were almost nonexistent in 2008.  9mm, .22lr and .223 were cleaned out except for a few boxes of zombie max. 

This is pretty much the same story at Wally 5616.

NOOOO Your a Glock Pagan! Your not MAN ENOUGH to handle a 45!!!!

Once I get my Comptac order next month you can use my HK LOL

That HK is too fancy for me. lol

Since I'm not around Memphis much anymore I'm going to give away one of my secret spots. Walmart 5255, they always had ammo during the last shortage. I bought thousands of rounds there.
On C-Eve, the WM in Hermitage was sold out of: 9mm (even those gold plated $40 boxes), .22LR, and .223. They had a good selection of everything else though (handgun and rifle). I'm planning on heading over there soon to see if Santa left them any presents.
[quote name='atlas3025' timestamp='1356530572' post='868897']Based on what I have seen, the perfect apocolyspe cartride is .270, because it is the only calibre I have seen in spades at the 5 different walmarts I've been to in the last few days.[/quote] My dad was trying to decide on a new hunting caliber. I pretty much cam to the same conclusion. Almost always find a box of .270 regardless of ammo rush.
Everyone always says get the 9mm,45acp, or 223/5.56 because of access to the ammo. Seems that this may be a learning lesson about availability in a real word situation. I have a 270 and it is a great deer rifle.

I normally do not stock up on 270 (only keep 100 rounds or so because of cost) but it may be cheaper than 223 soon. Edited by swim615
Based on what I have seen, the perfect apocolyspe cartride is .270, because it is the only calibre I have seen in spades at the 5 different walmarts I've been to in the last few days.

That's all that they had at Athen's Walmart today. I swear it looked like a Zombie story of looting wally world.

Everyone always says get the 9mm,45acp, or 223/5.56 because of access to the ammo. Seems that this may be a learning lesson about availability in a real word situation. I have a 270 and it is a great deer rifle.

I normally do not stock up on 270 (only keep 100 rounds or so because of cost) but it may be cheaper than 223 soon.

I don't think they meant buying ammo........I think that means getting it off dead bodies/outposts.