rock river ar10 predator

my82cam

Well, guys, I have been wanting an ar10 for a long time now, I have the ar15s covered and stocked but wanted to get an ar10.  Everyone is aware of the hype that is going on now, and I am wishing that I already had one in the safe.  I am willing to pay for one now even though it will cost me a premium, I am willing to take the gamble that they may go down if they do not pass any sort of a ban, but if they do pass something, it will go up in value.  I wanted to get some input on what type to get, I have a rock river 458 and love the quality and Thought I would consider them first for a 308.  I like the predator line, it has a SS barrel but is only an HBAR and not a heavy barrel.  I am not wanting a heavy barrel as they are 10.5lbs for a 20inch where the predator is only 8.5 lbs.  I like the fact that RR takes FAL mags metric or standard and RR mags.  Are you able to swap RR uppers to other brand uppers, or do only RR uppers fit on RR lowers?  Are there other brands ar10s I should be considering?? 

[quote name="Rightwinger" post="884670" timestamp="1358182209"]Sadly its still on order.  June 1, 2012 and counting. [/quote] Is RRA typically that slow? I just ordered a 5.56 upper from them right at the beginning of all this madness (right after a bonus check - terrible timing) and was hoping to maybe, just maybe get it before any kind of ban passed. I hope I'm not waiting for that long.

Is RRA typically that slow? I just ordered a 5.56 upper from them right at the beginning of all this madness (right after a bonus check - terrible timing) and was hoping to maybe, just maybe get it before any kind of ban passed. I hope I'm not waiting for that long.

I ordered from them back in '06 and still had to wait almost 8 weeks.  I wish I would have scooped up a few RRA lowers in the past when I've seen them for sale.

Is RRA typically that slow? I just ordered a 5.56 upper from them right at the beginning of all this madness (right after a bonus check - terrible timing) and was hoping to maybe, just maybe get it before any kind of ban passed. I hope I'm not waiting for that long.

RRA always builds a quality rifle, worth the wait.  They also never expand in these bubbles to try and catch up to demand so yes, they are always slower than most companies.  It's worse this time than the 08 bubble with barrels being the biggest hold up on the 308s.  If you ordered a fairly standard 5.56 version, you should expect a 6 month wait.  Anyone getting a 308 right now can probably count on 10 months to a year.

I honestly don't know if I would go the rra route for a .308. It appears the industry is moving towards the more standardized dpms/knights/etc pattern. Even Armalite has models that accept the pmags. If parts become scarce (may should change this to when not if...) i believe I would opt for the one that has the most parts available.

That said rra has been hit or miss with me, pleased on some products (predator pursuit upper) and incensed enough on some to write letters and call (bolt with wobbly gas block from factory and a cracked new lower on another).

I went dpms lowers on both my .308 and .260 couldn't be happier.
[quote name="trevorst" post="887722" timestamp="1358439724"] That said rra has been hit or miss with me, pleased on some products (predator pursuit upper) and incensed enough on some to write letters and call (bolt with wobbly gas block from factory and a cracked new lower on another). [/quote] How in the world does a lower get "cracked"?