Re-Holstering

How important is to be able to re-holster one handed? I ask because I am considering a Remora holster and I am not sure if i want the reinforce top or not. The RFT would allow one handed re-holstering but wouldn't conceal quite as well as the non-rft. So I was wondering how big of a deal it would be. Pros/Cons....I guess this is the right place to ask. I am more worried about the tactical/practical standpoint of it than I am the holster itself. I also intend to find some training this summer. Maybe someone could also tell me if the Remora will be allowed in most training classes. I thought I read where some classes required a holster attached to a belt. 

While I think getting it out quickly and in control is the most important aspect, its a good idea to be able to holster without looking if your ever in a situation, because it allows you to keep your eyes on whats going on around you rather than looking the gun into the holster.

• Like 1

It IS important and here's why.  You don't wear a uniform.  If you were to put a piece of ghetto trash down in the parking lot after he came after your wife, that's perfectly okay, but others don't know who you are, ESPECIALLY the cops.  Are you the aggressor or defender?  Don't blame them for not knowing and taking you for a threat.  SO, IF after you have stopped the threat and you have surveyed the area for more potential threats, you see the area is secure, you NEED to get that weapon out of sight FAST.  When the cops show up, be totally forthcoming but get them hands where they can see them and damn sure they are empty.  

A defender getting shot by a cop because he still had a weapon in his hand would be tragic but I'd be hard pressed to lay blame on the cop.  A man is on the ground pouring blood like a beer tap and you have a gun in your hand, what's he supposed to think?  

YES, deployment is more important but you don't want to be fumbling around trying to get that weapon put away either.  Unless you're okay with putting it on the ground, and I am NOT.  

Edited by Caster
  • Like 1

agree with caster but when the time comes you can put it back in slow & steady, you don't need to be able to twirl it 3x around your finger and stick it in clean without looking cowboy movie fashion.  Put any safety ON and drop it back in carefully when the time to do so comes.  Which is in between the arrival of a LEO vehicle and before they exit their car --- that is, as they pull up you lose the gun and show your hands. 

• Like 1

I consider the ability to reholster one-handed to be an invaluable safety feature.

Agree.  I have read of NDs by persons trying to reholster.  Many times when carrying a 1911, I have taken it out of the holster at night and discovered to my dismay that the safety was in the off position.  Since I carried cocked and locked, could have been tragic for me also if I had reholstered and something got in the way like a shirt tail or jacket...my thinking is thats less likely to happen with a holster thats easier to put the gun back in.

• Like 1

It IS important and here's why.  You don't wear a uniform.  If you were to put a piece of ghetto trash down in the parking lot after he came after your wife, that's perfectly okay, but others don't know who you are, ESPECIALLY the cops.  Are you the aggressor or defender?  Don't blame them for not knowing and taking you for a threat.  SO, IF after you have stopped the threat and you have surveyed the area for more potential threats, you see the area is secure, you NEED to get that weapon out of sight FAST.  When the cops show up, be totally forthcoming but get them hands where they can see them and damn sure they are empty.  

A defender getting shot by a cop because he still had a weapon in his hand would be tragic but I'd be hard pressed to lay blame on the cop.  A man is on the ground pouring blood like a beer tap and you have a gun in your hand, what's he supposed to think?  

YES, deployment is more important but you don't want to be fumbling around trying to get that weapon put away either.  Unless you're okay with putting it on the ground, and I am NOT.  

Except that when the cop gets there and finds out you've got a gun on your hip, you're gonna do a face plant with a knee in your back and your gun is gonna get tossed anyway.  At the very least they'll make you disarm yourself and put it on the ground, likely at gun point.  Then they'll move in and cuff you.  Hopefully you'll get released in short order, but I seriously doubt the cops will let you remain armed.

Edited by peejman
  • Like 3

Except that when the cop gets there and finds out you've got a gun on your hip, you're gonna do a face plant with a knee in your back and your gun is gonna get tossed anyway.  At the very least they'll make you disarm yourself and put it on the ground, likely at gun point.  Then they'll move in and cuff you.  Hopefully you'll get released in short order, but I seriously doubt the cops will let you remain armed.

Great point. My understanding is that after the threat is removed you should drop the mag, empty the chamber lock the slide back and place the gun on the ground at your feet. This way you are not an armed person at the scene of a shooting when the cops roll up.

Al

• Like 1

Great point. My understanding is that after the threat is removed you should drop the mag, empty the chamber lock the slide back and place the gun on the ground at your feet. This way you are not an armed person at the scene of a shooting when the cops roll up.

Al

Ha, if I just had to use a gun to defend myself I ain't disarming until I can see those blue lights. I ain't got no problem getting cuffed and stuffed until they sort it out, but I'm not going to take the risk of the perp not being dead enough or him having buddies. Edited by TMF
  • Like 4

Al

That is really a bad idea.  After you drop the mag and clear the chamber, the threat's buddy that you didn't see comes up makes you feel really dumb.

If it turned into the absolute worst situation, I would much rather be disarmed at gunpoint by a LEO than have an empty gun on me while waiting for the police to arrive at the scene.

• Like 2

Al

As the others have said, the smart thing to do would be a tactical reload to top the gun off and wait for the cavalary.  Only worry about disarming once they get there.

• Like 1

Al

That is beyond terrible advice. Once the threat is removed you reholster and retreat to safety and wait for PD, which you ( or someone you know) should be on the phone with 911 anyway immediately after. Once PD arrives you present yourself as the victim and then disarm according to their instructions or let them disarm you while they conduct their investigation.

• Like 2
  • Administrator

Al

No, that's a lot of bull from people who have never been in a self-defense shooting.  Remain armed until the police get there and have control of the situation.  Do you want to be unarmed if the person you just defended yourself against has friends, family, accomplices nearby who are unhappy about you doing what you just did?

Nope.  Remain armed.  Disarm when instructed by the police.

Edited to add:  I often see comments from folks saying they're not going to throw their nice Nighthawk 1911 or whatever on the ground when the police get there because it's too nice / pretty / expensive.  When the police are arriving, holster your firearm before they get out of their car.  Hands up and wait for instruction.  If they tell you to unholster and throw it to the ground, throw it to the ground.  If they tell you to lay it on the ground slowly, do it slowly.  If they tell you to tap dance and pat your belly at the same time, do that too.

Bottom line being, your stupid high-end boutique firearm isn't worth you getting shot over.  If it's so concerning that your gun might get scratched, don't carry it.  If you think it  might go off when dropped or tossed to the pavement, don't carry it.  Good guns don't go off when dropped.

Do whatever the nice police officers tell you to do, following their instructions to the letter, and keep your mouth shut until asked to speak.  And even then limit what you say.  You were in fear for your life, that guy over there in a pile is the guy who attacked you, and you'll be GLAD to cooperate with the police after your attorney is present.  You are in no state of mind to say anything else without your attorney present.  Period.   Establish that you're the good guy, point out the bad guy, point out the knife or gun or ball bat or chain or axe or whatever he was about to attack you with, and then shut your hole.

• Like 6

No, that's a lot of bull from people who have never been in a self-defense shooting.  Remain armed until the police get there and have control of the situation.  Do you want to be unarmed if the person you just defended yourself against has friends, family, accomplices nearby who are unhappy about you doing what you just did?

Nope.  Remain armed.  Disarm when instructed by the police.

Edited to add:  I often see comments from folks saying they're not going to throw their nice Nighthawk 1911 or whatever on the ground when the police get there because it's too nice / pretty / expensive.  When the police are arriving, holster your firearm before they get out of their car.  Hands up and wait for instruction.  If they tell you to unholster and throw it to the ground, throw it to the ground.  If they tell you to lay it on the ground slowly, do it slowly.  If they tell you to tap dance and pat your belly at the same time, do that too.

Bottom line being, your stupid high-end boutique firearm isn't worth you getting shot over.  If it's so concerning that your gun might get scratched, don't carry it.  If you think it  might go off when dropped or tossed to the pavement, don't carry it.  Good guns don't go off when dropped.

Do whatever the nice police officers tell you to do, following their instructions to the letter, and keep your mouth shut until asked to speak.  And even then limit what you say.  You were in fear for your life, that guy over there in a pile is the guy who attacked you, and you'll be GLAD to cooperate with the police after your attorney is present.  You are in no state of mind to say anything else without your attorney present.  Period.   Establish that you're the good guy, point out the bad guy, point out the knife or gun or ball bat or chain or axe or whatever he was about to attack you with, and then shut your hole.

I agree with most of what you said.  My disagreement is your comment on the "stupid high-end boutique firearm."  It ain't stupid. :rant:  If I recall correctly, you own a Wilson Professional. :)

• Administrator

I agree with most of what you said.  My disagreement is your comment on the "stupid high-end boutique firearm."  It ain't stupid. :rant:  If I recall correctly, you own a Wilson Professional. :)

And I don't carry it -- but if I did and I had to use it, I'd be fine with tossing it to the ground if told to do so.  It's a tool.  A nice tool, but a tool none the less.

• Like 1

And I don't carry it -- but if I did and I had to use it, I'd be fine with tossing it to the ground if told to do so.  It's a tool.  A nice tool, but a tool none the less.

Oh, I know.  I was just being a wisea$$.

I carry my Springfield Professional most of the times, and if I have to drop it, it is going to be dropped.  It is a lost cheaper and easier to refinish a handgun than bullet holes.

I know this off topic, but just out of curiosity, why don't you carry it?  It is a fantastic gun.

• Administrator

Thanks for all the responses. I think I'll stick with the reinforced top. My intent is to finally get some training this year. But I need to settle on a carry holster first.

Don't buy a holster without first getting a good carry BELT.  A lot of complaints people have about their holsters are the result of using a thin flimsy belt that's not up to the task of distributing the weight of the firearm.

I still recommend www.thebeltman.net and have done so for about 10 years now.  Top, top quality at a reasonable price.

• Like 1

Don't buy a holster without first getting a good carry BELT.  A lot of complaints people have about their holsters are the result of using a thin flimsy belt that's not up to the task of distributing the weight of the firearm.

I still recommend www.thebeltman.net and have done so for about 10 years now.  Top, top quality at a reasonable price.

Thanks for the tip. Great looking stuff. Very reasonably priced gun belts. I don't hang my keys on my belt but I may have to get one of those key hangers to use for a key chain. Very nice.