Moratorium on pejorative "creative" misspellings

TGO David

Doesn't really matter to me. Should I spell out "communist" or "commie". j/k David. Ben Shapiro, haven't read his books, but

from his interviews, he claims that the right has claimed the moral high ground too often and needs to quit worrying about

how the other side thinks. To win more people into voting we may have to stoop to their level on occasion. I can take that

one way or another, but I agree with what he says. His arguments are valid. I'm not sure how over the top I go in my name

calling. I guess I should re-read some of my posts.

Can't go too over the top with the site filters. If I whip up a satisfying name for some of these folks, you'll have to look at your email to figure out what I said. :)

I understand David's point, and I think I agree. When you get toe to toe with our commie friends, they call more names than we do. I'll be respectful as long as they are. As soon as they start reading from their Huffpo cheat sheet, I'll bitch slap them. We can't lose sight of the fact that this is all VERY unfair, and they really ARE the enemy.

Edited by mikegideon
Guest ThePunisher
I just don't believe that political correctness suits many of us members here. I'm too old to try to comply with the enemies of the Constitution.
  • Administrator

I just don't believe that political correctness suits many of us members here. I'm too old to try to comply with the enemies of the Constitution.

I never proposed that we try to be politically correct.  Did you read my first post?

It's funny how that last bit works.  As a society we've placed moms and their thoughts/feelings/opinions of things on tall pillars and allowed them to guide policy (see: Oprah and any number of other daytime TV shows that absolutely sway public opinion on social matters) but it's mostly men that you see giving their lives on battlefields.  There's kind of a disconnect there.

Not being sexist, but men willingly give that power to women. How many times do you hear " if momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy"? Men are are compromising their values just to keep the peace. We may not want to admit it, but females are the primary reason that Obama has won two terms.
  • Like 2
  • Administrator

Not being sexist, but men willingly give that power to women. How many times do you hear " if momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy"? Men are are compromising their values just to keep the peace. We may not want to admit it, but females are the primary reason that Obama has won two terms.

Yep, and nothing shuts a feminist up faster than asking if she thinks women should have to sign up for Selective Service when they turn 18 like men do.

• Like 1

Yep, and nothing shuts a feminist up faster than asking if she thinks women should have to sign up for Selective Service when they turn 18 like men do.

I agree. I believe that there was an article in last sundays newspaper where they asked some female service members if they should be allowed to serve in the combat arms. I believe that they were nearly unanimous in their agreement that they enjoyed serving, but if I recall correctly only one wanted to be tested in combat.

Being civil and polite is not the same thing as being politically correct.

Another forum I'm on instituted the following policy during the 2004 election and has kept it in place.  And yes, they enforce it for people from both sides of the political aisle. It's worked well.

Nicknames... Mittens, McStain, Hitlery, George W <censored>....

OK, I'm getting kind of sick of seeing otherwise intelligent people stoop to the level of small children on the playground and resorting to name calling for candidates/politicians they don't like.

Henceforth, you have one choice -- use the individual's proper name, or don't use it at all.

In the future posters who resort to this sort of childish behavior will have their messages deleted.

Multiple occurences may result in a poster being suspended or banned.

Heh, you do not need to work that hard to deal with a liberal that insinuates you are a dumb hick.   Its really, really simple actually.  Not a ONE of em can do any math beyond high school level.   Soon as they bust out the dumb hick thing, hand them a sheet of paper and let their ivory league education go to work.

A good one is AX+XB = C (a,b,x,c are matrices...)  find X.   With any luck, they will blowout their cortex and go home drooling.

Edited by Jonnin

David's house; David's rules: however, this has no effect on persuading the left to our side. Scientists have demonstrated that when a person has made-up their mind on a belief system the receptive portion of their brain shuts down. This is one of the reasons why politics and religion incite so much arguing and are verboten topics in many social circles such as work. It is only when they are driven away - disillusioned - from their belief that they are receptive to change. This is why both sides are quick to blame the other for their failings whether it is true or not. The people that share their belief system are predisposed to accept the excuse, and you won’t sway the other side to begin with.

Heh, you do not need to work that hard to deal with a liberal that insinuates you are a dumb hick.   Its really, really simple actually.  Not a ONE of em can do any math beyond high school level.   Soon as they bust out the dumb hick thing, hand them a sheet of paper and let their ivory league education go to work.

A good one is AX+XB = C (a,b,x,c are matrices...)  find X.   With any luck, they will blowout their cortex and go home drooling.

I could introduce you to a couple of left-leaning computer programmer friends of mine (I don't filter my friends based on left-right political alignment) who were both math majors in college.  I'm sure either of them could play that game with you all day long.

Edited by BryanP
  • Administrator

David's house; David's rules: however, this has no effect on persuading the left to our side.

Old adage:  Steel sharpens steel.

My intent is that if we push each other to taller heights here, we will be better equipped when we find ourselves in "discussions" with the so-called intellectual elite elsewhere.  All too often internet forums inhabited by special interest groups tend to become "amen pews".  We take for granted that our fellow members have similar thoughts, morals, ethics, ideals as we do and we don't have to work as hard to make a case for our beliefs or opinions.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest nra37922

I agree and cleaned up one of my posts accordingly.  Though I still call the president Ohole and the vp as biteme I will refrain from using such in my posts.

I really appreciate that many TGO members are aware of how we are perceived by the public at large. I also respect the rights of those who have a don't care what the world thinks attitude. I know where they are comming from. I feel the same way at times. I personally try to be a good ambassador for gun rights. I sometimes fail.
This thread is a good example of David's consistent efforts to better TGO and further gun rights. Thanks, I'll try to behave both here and in face to face interactions.

-southernasylum

Edited by southernasylum

I have spent a lifetime arguing this point. I am often chastised because my vocabulary is comprised of too many denotative words and not enough common language. I have often been accused of 'trying to sound smart' but it's actually a by product of having a teacher for a mother. We cannot allow them to frame the argument incorrectly lest we will inevitably lose.

Guilty of the same affliction.  My teacher Mother knew "I acted a fool" in her words before I got back to the house from school, (amazing the phone tree they had).

She also tried to make sure I had an extensive vocabulary, coming from a sharecropper's background, she, (and my Father who did not learn to read till he was offered a raise of $.25 and hour if he obtained his G.E.D. at age 40) did her best to provide me and my siblings with tools to survive, for one thing both my parents sacrificed to make sure we had an opportunity to be well read.  There is a Dr., a lawyer. couple of school teachers and a Real Estate agent in that brood.  I have a working command of several technical jargons, from Engineer in several disciplines to backhoe operator, auto and manual. I too have been accused of trying to use "BIG" words when what I was really trying to do was adequately describe my thoughts so that anybody could understand them.

I am in with David.

As someone else stated above, I immediately discredit and dismiss anyone who uses "fart joke" names in their posts, conversation, stories, what-have-you.  Even if everything else they say is perfectly reasonable, incredibly well thought out, or factually well-represented.  It's just not the way I was raised to debate that way.  It immediately negates your credibility to take low shots at someone.

FWIW, I also discard anyone who uses the term "sandbox" in any discussion, and when perusing GunBroker, I will immediately scan past ANYTHING that mentions "BAN" or "Get them before you can't!!!"  As soon as I hear "sandbox" I start guessing what headset you wear when playing XBox, and as soon as I read "BAN" I start wondering how long you'll be in business after trying to rip off those that you NEED come the end of the current situation.

Bottom line, David, I appreciate and support whole-heartedly your proposal.

Mac

• 1 month later...

Since I am not on the forum as much as I used to be, I wasn't aware of this new rule. I got busted today for using McLame (McCain) and Grahamnesty (Graham). I vehemently disagree with this new rule, and feel that regardless of its intent, that it is nothing more than political correctness run amuck.  I will concede that there are numerous cases in which the use of pejoratives is childish and debase the conversation.  However, there are times when a pejorative can be used in good taste and is effective communication.  It is one of the reasons that they are pretty much used by everybody including those that may be perceived as intellectual elites.

I would also argue that sometimes the intent of a pejorative is to belittle someone or something.  Is mocking or sarcasm going to be prohibited as well? I would argue that they all pretty much do the same thing, and can be juvenile at times.  Case in point, look at the recent thread concerning citizen control vehicles spotted on trains.  Granted, the thread was conspiratorial and not really plausible, but how does the mocking of certain members of this forum and mentioning of green lizard people elevate the conversation?  I only responded to that post because I thought some of the members were being childish and acting like jackasses.   I am quite certain that others would have came to the same viewpoint as I did on that thread.  Will this be policed as well?

I strongly diasgree with your decision, and liken it to using an axe when only a scalpel was required.  However, this is your forum, and I respect your right to establish rules regarding its governance.  I will do my best to adhere to this new policy.