First M1

wipfel

quite nice. Love them things.

So be forthcoming with info. Manufacturer, date etc...

I threw that first post up as I was getting to work. Here's a bit more detail.

It's a Springfield with a 4 million serial, which is actually a little disappointing. I was hoping to get one of WWII vintage. I guess that just means I have to buy another one. ;) Anybody have any ideas of how to sell that to the wife?

I choose the Service Grade, but it's in wonderful condition. A tiny bit of wear at the barrel, but the wood is almost flawless. Makes me think it's reconditioned. The rest of the metal looks to be good as well.  Muzzle rating of 1 and throat gage of 2.

to
Springfield Armory
1952 – 1954

Here's how it came.
IMG_0591.JPG

IMG_0569.JPG

Some closeups.
IMG_0575.JPG

IMG_0576.JPG

IMG_0587.JPG

IMG_0583.JPG

IMG_0580.JPG

Edited by wipfel

Could you tell me more about the purchasing process (required paperwork for non-veterans and club membership) through CMP?

Honestly, it was pretty easy. I used the checklist on the order form (http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/pdfs/1orderform.pdf) and the Eligibility Requirements page to put everything together.  I ended up forgetting to put a copy of my HCP in there to fulfill the shooting requirement, but they contacted me via email and snailmail to let me know.  Emailed that to them and they processed the order about 3 business days later.

I did call once to get one of the CS ladies to walk me through the process.  She was very helpful, and I realized they weren't like the DMV (or DOS here in TN) where they're practically looking for an excuse to can your paperwork.

• Like 2

Wipfel, the wood is flawless because it's a probably a brand new stock.  CMP replaces alot of the original stocks on service grades as they are often all beat up.

I figured.  I think I'm eventually going to get a field grade one with more character.  I'll probably have to go to that grade to get one in the right serial range anyway.