We need TGO Challenge Coins.

I work with allot of ex military guys and some of them have very neat challenge coins.  One guy is very proud of one some general presented him with.  I can't recall the general or what it was for either.

They don't pull challenges at work but I got to looking at some and I don't want to be that guy that buys a military challenge coin from Ebay to carry around.  I did order an NRA one from Ebay only because I could not find one currently available at the NRA.  I figured that would be good to carry.

But the whole thing kinda got me interesting in maybe collecting a few as I go.  My first thought was TGO

In short, if Military guys are sitting around the a table having a drink, one buy might show his coin and challenge another guy at the table.  If the challenged guy cannot produce his coin, he has to by the guy a drink.  However if he is able to present his coin the challenger has to buy him a drink.  ]

I did some research a day or to ago and found some interesting history as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challenge_coin

Edited by vontar
  • Administrator

I was actually looking into this the other day.  It'll have to wait until next month or so before I can really devote any time to seriously investigating our options, though.  I still need to get us moved over to our new web server.

• Like 1

Buddy o mine who works at a small airport in New Orleans called me a while back. Said The USMC Commandant (apologies if I misspelled that) came through his airport and gave him some kinda weird coin that didn't look like it was currency but did look valuable. He had no idea what it was. I told him to hold on to it as he got a freaking challenge coin from the freaking USMC COMMANDANT. On a side note, from what I've learned about the challenge coin stuff, even if the other person is able to present it the higher ranking coin wins and is still owed a drink.

• Like 1
I have several from different high ranking officers in the Marines, and one from the Captain of LHD-4 the USS Boxer from my last MEU. They are cool, but I almost never carry mine A. Because I dont wanna lose them. And B. Because the only people who normally carry them and challenge people are boots or old school vets. YMMV just what I noticed in my time in.
  • Like 1

Because the only people who normally carry them and challenge people are boots or old school vets. YMMV just what I noticed in my time in.

Haha, not always.  I was shown a challenge coin by a waitress in an area we used to go TDY to a lot.  She was very proud to show it off after she determined we were military.  Of course, her challenge coin would have looked very similar to some that I have with the exception I didn't have 3 holes drilled into any of my coins.

Buddy o mine who works at a small airport in New Orleans called me a while back. Said The USMC Commandant (apologies if I misspelled that) came through his airport and gave him some kinda weird coin that didn't look like it was currency but did look valuable. He had no idea what it was. I told him to hold on to it as he got a freaking challenge coin from the freaking USMC COMMANDANT. On a side note, from what I've learned about the challenge coin stuff, even if the other person is able to present it the higher ranking coin wins and is still owed a drink.

I don't think the rank thing is an "official" rule. Of course "official" is a relative term since the whole challenge coin thing is pretty unofficial. 

My team leader used to love to bring his challenge coin in the shower held between his cheeks. He would lather up the shampoo and then let it drop. Sick bastard. :D

• Like 1

As a novelty, token, souvenir, keep sake, free beer or conversation piece, I guess they have their place, but nothing more IMO.

Really not needed for proof of military service, as it only takes a few minutes of conversation to determine if the individual is a combat veteran, what unit he served and the M.O.S. that's claimed. Written official orders, citations, medals and commendations says it all, but I guess it's a coin toss :wave:

For a fun challenge, good idea!

Well I certaintly had the wrong idea. I thought a challenge coin was to be used as a form of identification to determine if you were a member of a certain group or not. They ask you to produce the coin and if so you may pass and if not you dont proceed forward. Honestly never really heard of them outside of fictional stories though.

Usually issued in a semi formal ceremony (at least mine were) while serving with that unit.

Tradition is huge part of being in the military.  A coin, while holding no value like our fiat money, holds value greater than gold to those that served.  This is why issues like stolen valor mean so much to those that served and are generally not of interest to the greater public as a whole.

Done correctly, a TGO coin could hold good value to those here.  Can't be purchased until a certain time being a member had been fullfilled and issued with a number that can be "striken from the roles" should that member catch a ban hammer. 

• Like 4

I don't know if this would be an option but maybe if they could be serial numbered if they are in limited production.

Maybe a new coin every year.

I am no artist but later if you want some brain storming ideas I would be glad to pitch in.

I got that idea after seeing a one I was bidding on go from my high bid of 16 to over 100 in a couple hours on Ebay.  It was an official USS ENTERPRISE Final Deployment Coin and was serial numbered.  Over the years I have worked with a few people that Served on the Big E and though it would be neat to have that one.

Edited by vontar