Vintage .22 Rifle

Jimbo100

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have several.   Not for sale, these are just some ideas...

Browning BAR-22.   This is what I shoot for rifle.  Its a tube fed semi-auto, extremely accurate, and very attractive.  

Browning had a couple of others, most were much smaller and thinner if you prefer a thin gun. 

One of the old gally guns, a pump action tube fed 22 by various brands?

A nice lever gun?  There were many, henry of course (I think they had 22s in the 60s?)

A bolt gun?  Mine is a 20 pound bull barrel mossberg with a 5 round detachable mag, but here again, there were legion of them.

A single shot?   There were a number of these too, break open or bolt action mostly. 

My dad has close to 40+ single shot bolt action rifles, he collects them. Old Remingtons, Winchesters, and Mossbergs, to him, those are the great rifles of the 1940s and 1950s. I think his favorite is the Winchester 69A. According to him, most gallery guns were shot to extensively, and have very little rifling left, and are no longer accurate.

I gave my old Remington single shot .22 to my son and now it's with my son and grandson and serving a third generation.  In my second childhood I want a repeater to really have some fun.  All these suggestions look good and I'll just have to get out and do some looking now.  

The Marlin 39 from before about 1995 was a beautiful piece of machinery.  Mine was made in 1952 and has had countless rounds through it.  It was my grandfather's, and if I do my part, it will easily serve my great-grandchildren just as well.

My favorite semi-autos are the Remington 552 and an old Savage 7A.  Both are very accurate and reliable.

Having had a bucket load of .22s from the 30's onward and trying to find one that is better than all the rest has been a goal of mine.  I just sold my 1971 vintage Remington 552 semi-auto, traded a 1956 Winchester 62A pump for a pup last month, while selling a nice 1956 572 pump last week might give you some ideas of what I have had recently.  If you are wanting a really nice 50's style .22 it is hard to beat the Winchesters and it is hard to beat their prices (ouch!) if they are in mint condition.  The Remington bolt action series like the 511 are another good choice.  If you want a "cheaper" target rifle then you might look for a Winchester 75 or a Remington 513T.  Remington still makes the 552 and 572 models in BDL versions that retail near the 600.00 mark. 

The best value in well-stocked older .22s are the Mossbergs, any of them with walnut stocks will do. I have had a small pile of them over the years.

The Mossberg 46 series is particularly appealing to me.  While the older plain old 144 is another nice "target" style plinker.  

http://home.epix.net/~damguy/models.htm

The pre crossbolt safety Marlins (1982 or '83 I believe) are nice too.

Having said all that I think in bolt action plinker it is just too hard to beat modern CZ's.  Some of the Savages are pretty nice for the money.  In semi-auto it is very hard to beat the aftermarket availibility and versatility of the 10/22.

If you want a great piece of wood while great shooters and have serious cash for a single .22 purchase it would be hard to decide between Anschutz and Cooper.

Edited by graycrait

I've still got the first rifle my dad bought me, a Remington Nylon 66. I try to take it out at least once a month. I've also got his Remington 41 that was his first gun.

Still have my first also, under the tree on my 12th Christmas in 1960. Remmie Fieldmaster 121. Was either old new stock or used, as they quit making them in '54, but sure looked shiny new to my wide eyes!

fieldmaster.jpg

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot