TN Bill to remove restrictions on knife possession and carry

Wait: The video clip is from April 6, 2011 but the website shows the bill as be filed on 1/31/13 and introduced on 2/4/13. Maybe it is being re-introduced so it might not be dead yet. I don't know why they would attach and old video clip to a reintroduced bill though.

• Moderators

I just wrote my Sen. (Bell) stating support for the bill, and I also asked him if he thought the political climate was right for such a bill's passage. He is great about responding, so we'll see. I also copied the message to Rep. Brooks. We'll see how things go, and I'll update with any response Bell provides me with.

I just wrote my Sen. (Bell) stating support for the bill, and I also asked him if he thought the political climate was right for such a bill's passage. He is great about responding, so we'll see. I also copied the message to Rep. Brooks. We'll see how things go, and I'll update with any response Bell provides me with.

So you are saying its a live bill so to speak-

• Moderators

So you are saying its a live bill so to speak-

I think that it is currently "live". Bell is the Sen. who introduced it, and he is also my Sen. I wrote him an email supporting it, and asked him the status and whether he thinks it will pass. Hopefully soon I will get a response.
  • Moderators

From Sen. Bell,

I hope the support is here to pass this legislation. I first became aware of how inconsistent Tennessee's knife laws were two years ago. This bill is the culmination of two years of research and communication with www.kniferights.org.

Edited by CZ9MM

So the hunting knife I have in my truck is illegal? Crap.

Could certainly be charged if the cop had an axe to grind. Same with a ball bat or other club. Unlikely, though, without some extenuating circumstances.

There's always the "going outdoors" claim for knives, but that wouldn't work so well for toting it around on your person in public.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Thanks for the heads up!

E-mails sent!

I also sent an info e-mail with links to a bunch of folks I know, encouraging them to write - call - or e-mail as well.

I've lawfully carried a handgun daily for well over 20 years, and it's always boggled my mind at the restrictions placed on bladed tools.

We have way more than enough infringements on our God Granted and Constitutionally Protected Rights. It's Great to see someone in office working to protect those Rights.