Man carrying AR-15 arrested at gun rights rally near Capitol

I am sort of surprised by the reactions here, the guy was a law-abiding citizen, in possession of a legal firearm, at a public rally to express concerns over the continual infringement of "shall not be infringed" & he was arrested, his lawfully owned firearm confiscated by authorities & pro 2nd folks are calling him stupid, retarded, etc?

Remember, it doesn't just say "the right to keep" it also specifically states we have the right to "bear arms".

It's no mystery why we are loosing the 2nd, the simple fact that we cower from any confrontation when it is infringed upon, blindly obeying any legislation that is passed & mocking anyone who would dare excersize their Constitutional rights as our founding Fathers intended.
  • Like 3

I am sort of surprised by the reactions here, the guy was a law-abiding citizen, in possession of a legal firearm, at a public rally to express concerns over the continual infringement of "shall not be infringed" & he was arrested, his lawfully owned firearm confiscated by authorities & pro 2nd folks are calling him stupid, retarded, etc?

Remember, it doesn't just say "the right to keep" it also specifically states we have the right to "bear arms".

It's no mystery why we are loosing the 2nd, the simple fact that we cower from any confrontation when it is infringed upon, blindly obeying any legislation that is passed & mocking anyone who would dare excersize their Constitutional rights as our founding Fathers intended.

Our founding Fathers were all long dead by the time another group of Patriots paid for States Rights with their lives. They lost, but it was the bloodiest war our country has ever been in, and they didn’t die in vain. The Federal government can’t tell you when and where you can carry a gun unless they are handling law enforcement. That’s what Obama wants, is it what you want?

Everyone gets to strap on a gun or States’ Rights; pick a side. I know what will happen if the Feds are in charge; so I pick states’ Rights. It really is not a mystery.

He wasn't legally in possession of that legal firearm The protest wasn't really about TN carry laws, so I don't see how brazenly violating one was any help to the overall cause.

- OS

Creating a spectacle for the media to focus on detracts from the whole point of the gathering.  It is an injustice for those attending and everyone who could not but attend but supports the message that would actually like to be taken seriously.

Events like this should be about swaying public opinion.  Carrying AR's in public will not do that.

• Like 1

I take "the THP said it's unlawful to carry a loaded rifle in public places" as that at least one of them had carts in them, hell maybe in chamber too for all we know.

- OS

If it was loaded, he was really being stupid. I didn't look at the video, and maybe there was an embellishment or three in here

for TV effect. If he was cited for "carrying a loaded rifle in a public place", then that answers it. I'm not taking anyone's side,

just don't trust the media any more than gossip.

There are other things to consider than merely calling this guy an idiot. I shouldn't go into them, though. Maybe not the

proper time, but the time for worrying over image is rapidly becoming a thing that should be put on the back burner. The

issue of laws being used for preventing crime and for safe usage may be becoming a more important issue, due to the fact

that this guy wasn't obviously trying to start something, unless you want to posit that he was.

There used to be a time when there was a gun on almost every rack in so many pickup trucks, all over this country, and now

has become so scary a thought, it really makes me wonder what happened. It just doesn't cut it to just call this guy an idiot.

He may have been ignorant of the law, or he may have been told since he had a permit, this was also permissible. Bad

information, but tell me how many times, even in a gun permit classes we have heard stories of where the instructor gave

bad information.

I think instead of calling this guy an idiot on an internet forum, where we all know we are idiots, or geniuses, whichever you

prefer, we should instead, be working on getting some laws changed. God only knows, we've certainly seem to forgotten

how much has changed and why. We need to get some of these things changed back to where they once were.

It was a peaceful rally, wasn't it? Are they that scared of someone talking about guns, even in Tennessee?

If it was loaded, he was really being stupid. ...

The clumsy definition of "unloaded" notwithstanding (and I doubt a cop even knows of it), if he didn't have ammo on him for the rifle, hard to believe he could be charged with unlawful possession/carry, as it is legal to have "an unloaded rifle, shotgun or handgun not concealed on or about the person and the ammunition for the weapon was not in the immediate vicinity of the person or weapon".

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest ThePunisher
Ooh, those little evil black rifles! Yep, the liberal media has made all our guns, evil tools that nobody but the bad guys and government should have. They're gonna keep stripping our rights away till we just become Obamabots...brainless dumbasses that get high drinking the Obamakool-aid. They control the liberal propaganda schools, healthcare, and all they need now to get complete control of everyone is get their evil black rifles with high capacity mags. The cake is almost baked, and they're getting ready to eat it.

The clumsy definition of "unloaded" notwithstanding (and I doubt a cop even knows of it), if he didn't have ammo on him for the rifle, hard to believe he could be charged with unlawful possession/carry, as it is legal to have "an unloaded rifle, shotgun or handgun not concealed on or about the person and the ammunition for the weapon was not in the immediate vicinity of the person or weapon".

- OS

In a sane world, I agree with you, Mac. But it does seem ridiculous to an extent to even have a law like that, in the first place..

You know where I'm going with this. I'm just tired of a lot of the BS laws that don't do anything more than make someone into

a criminal when they used to not be. That's the part I consider really stupid. But I do agree that we should be a tad more united

and consistent in our actions.

Ah, it's not going to matter much longer. We're going to see much worse from better people before too long, and I doubt there

is anything that can stop it. That's the reason I mentioned the thread mcurrier posted about the guy in Washington state. We

should have been doing something about stupid laws and their authors a long time ago. Has nothing whatsoever to do with

stopping crime, just making criminals. Nonsense.

I guess I'm tired of worrying about how these spineless liberal idiots "feel" anymore.

Well, you lose it for duration of sentence for any Class A 'meanor, assuming the information gets passed along and all.

But yeah, if the court or the cops also petition TNDOS on the "danger to public" thing, could be permanent.

- OS

TNDOS would be wise to not use that one again for a long while...  Too many eyes watching them over the Yeager HCP squabble...  They start going after otherwise law abiding citizens who make a simple mistake with life time bans, they'll likely have the law changed in short order.

And lets be clear, this is a simple mistake...  There are a lot of members of this very board that don't totally understand all the TN firearm laws...  it's very easy to see somebody being honestly confused over when you can or can't have a loaded long gun with an HCP.

He could also argue he understood 39-17-1308a4 (otherwise lawful activity) to include protesting for his 2nd Amendment rights :)

And why is it the legislature bans long gun carry?  How does this guy pose a more serious risk to the public than an ar pistol or any other pistol?  Maybe it's time we start pushing the legislature to lift the ban on long gun carry?

• Like 3

TNDOS would be wise to not use that one again for a long while...  Too many eyes watching them over the Yeager HCP squabble...  They start going after otherwise law abiding citizens who make a simple mistake with life time bans, they'll likely have the law changed in short order.

And lets be clear, this is a simple mistake...  There are a lot of members of this very board that don't totally understand all the TN firearm laws...  it's very easy to see somebody being honestly confused over when you can or can't have a loaded long gun with an HCP.

He could also argue he understood 39-17-1308a4 (otherwise lawful activity) to include protesting for his 2nd Amendment rights :)

And why is it the legislature bans long gun carry?  How does this guy pose a more serious risk to the public than an ar pistol or any other pistol?  Maybe it's time we start pushing the legislature to lift the ban on long gun carry?

In total agreement.

In TN isn't it legal to carry a loaded rifle in your vehicle as long a round is not chambered?

Only if you have a carry permit. Otherwise, illegal.

Doesn't relate to carrying on person in public, however.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I watched this from the Capitol steps. I noticed the guy seemed very calm about the whole process of being called over. In fact, he wasn't in the crowd at all. He came over to the far side completely out of the group towards the Capitol before the troopers noticed him and called him over.

Does anyone know this guy?  Reggie Robertson from Byrdstown, TN? His name and home town are public information, by the way. They were included in the news article.

Byrdstown is 120 miles away. I wonder if he was a Democrat plant? Does anyone know anyone in Byrdstown who could find out for us?

In TN isn't it legal to carry a loaded rifle in your vehicle as long a round is not chambered?

According to Tennessee codes 39-17-1307 and 39-17-1308, there must also be no ammunition in the immediate vicinity of the person or weapon. I'm not a lawyer, but it seems obvious that rounds in a clip or magazine in the rifle or nearby would be a violation.  There must also be an "intent to go armed," but if there's any doubt, you'd probably get cited and have to plead your case in court.

You can look up the codes and read them for yourself.

...There must also be an "intent to go armed," but if there's any doubt, you'd probably get cited and have to plead your case in court.

Can assure you that a loaded firearm always qualifies for "intent to go armed" absent any of the other defenses.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I guess stupidity shouldn’t surprise me, but sometimes it still does. I find it hard to believe that someone contemplating open carrying an AR into a downtown
rally would not make sure he could legally do that. Especially after all the gun boards and all the videos have asked that you not even open carry.

So if it wasn’t just stupidity, he must want to test the law in court, or he is from the other side and was trying to cause a bigger stir than he did.

Ironically if he were carrying an AR pistol instead he would have been fine to have it locked and loaded.  Of course, it would still probably draw the attention of police and have him temporarily sequestered. 

That was one of my first thoughts. Worst case would have only been the hassle. Maybe not even that.

- OS

This is exactly why we really pushed people not to bring rifles to the rally we had at the Capitol on January 19th. I called the legal department at Legislative Plaza and also talked to the Tennessee State Patrol. They had absolutely no issues with people carrying a handgun as long as they had permits. They were very thankful that I was telling people not to bring rifles. They said that if people did they would be checking them for ammo.

This guy broke the law. It is as simple as that. If we are going to win this battle we will not do it by intentially breaking Tennessee state laws and acting like vigilantes.
  • Like 1