Why is 9mm more expensive than .40 S&W

I have been trying to gather 9mm ammo but what little 9mm I find is more expensive than the same brand of .40 ammo. I recently got rid of a unreliable .40 sigma for a 9mm Glock but I would have gotten another .40 if I knew ammo was going to be less. I know 9mm used to be cheaper than .40 but now the 40 is cheaper. Why?

supply and demand.

If you put 1000 gun owners in a room...

975 of them would own at least 1 .22 LR

850 of them would own at least 1 9mm

more than half would own either 223 or 7.62xAK

so those calibers are in high demand and the price has increased on them.

• Like 2

supply and demand.

If you put 1000 gun owners in a room...

975 of them would own at least 1 .22 LR

850 of them would own at least 1 9mm

more than half would own either 223 or 7.62xAK

so those calibers are in high demand and the price has increased on them.

Jonnin is exactly right.

plus add in the fact that so many LEO and GOV agents use .40 so its produced at a high volume anyways.  Thats why its more likely to show up in shortage situations.  The supply is much higher

If you can find 9mm, just buy it. I believe what you are seeing is 2012's .40 ammo that is still on shelves compadres to 2013's 9mm that has cost the retailer a premium. I have noticed hoarders like 9mm, 223, and 22lr. I confirmed this when I went to GT Distributors a while back and they told me I could buy as much .40 S&w ammo as I like.
I have no concrete evidence to substantiate this, but it's my opinion that the 40 is dying in popularity.

Again, it's just my opinion but I think people are starting to realize the 40 S&W was a solution to a problem that never existed. If you need a large caliber automatic the 45 ACP has a track record that cannot be disputed. If you prefer more capacity with equal or even better accuracy dependi gn the gun and shooter, 9x19 is your baby. Splitting the difference between the two makes sense to some folks but not me. You lose the capacity of the 9x19 AND the size advantage of the 45ACP. If you need more than either of those offer then hit the 10mm. The 10mm should have NEVER died. It is very impressive.

Notice too that you may find a Glock or M&P in 40 but finding a 9mm or 45 in stock can be troublesome. A person wanting to get into 40 caliber Glocks can usually find a steal of deal. Even in these chaotic times.

If I stepped on any toes or offended any 40 lovers I apologize.........and grow up you big baby! LOL

I have no concrete evidence to substantiate this, but it's my opinion that the 40 is dying in popularity.

Again, it's just my opinion but I think people are starting to realize the 40 S&W was a solution to a problem that never existed. If you need a large caliber automatic the 45 ACP has a track record that cannot be disputed. If you prefer more capacity with equal or even better accuracy dependi gn the gun and shooter, 9x19 is your baby. Splitting the difference between the two makes sense to some folks but not me. You lose the capacity of the 9x19 AND the size advantage of the 45ACP. If you need more than either of those offer then hit the 10mm. The 10mm should have NEVER died. It is very impressive.

Notice too that you may find a Glock or M&P in 40 but finding a 9mm or 45 in stock can be troublesome. A person wanting to get into 40 caliber Glocks can usually find a steal of deal. Even in these chaotic times.

If I stepped on any toes or offended any 40 lovers I apologize.........and grow up you big baby! LOL

Not sure if this is concrete, but I have noticed a definite decline in the popularity of .40. For several years now, we have sold much more 9mm ammo and many more 9mm pistols than .40.

again  :popcorn:

perfectly fine with me... as long as they keep shelling out ammo i'll buy it... and love and fondle my 40's :)

and everyone else can scrounge around trying to find ammo for there 9mm and 45... thats why i got rid of my 380... and 357's... ammo prices

Edited by carter
I think gun manufacturers are selling about as many .40's as 9's or 45's. The difference is people are shooting the 9's and hoarding 9 ammo. Most people that have .40's don't really shoot them often, except me but I reload. Something else is ammo manufacturers have for a long time been cranking out a lot of .40 ammo for LE/Government agencies. I think the excessive 40 ammo on the shelves will dry up about the time a lot of 9 and other calibers start to reappear.

A lot of new shooters tend to get 9's, the military is using a lot of 9 (wars and conflicts), and people don't shoot .40 in the same quanities as the other calibers.  Keep in mind that nearly as many PD deparments use 9mm as they do .40 so that isn't so much a consideration. We also sold a lot of 9mm M&P's in the middle east and we are sending ammo to them as well.

Supply and demand. That being said the 9mm I've seen has been lower price (as usual) than the .40. Just like always.

My guess? Economics. More people want 9mm, therefore the price goes up. I have a .40 and still have trouble finding that in my area though.

I usually visit Walmart any time I'm out and I've seen .40 PD ammo in every instance but one in the last 6/8 stops. Not a lot, but usually 2/3 boxes on the shelf each time.

Only constant is 12/20 guage shotgun. I've only seen one Wally completely devoid of every caliber, and that was Lebanon last Monday.

Edited by hipower