Got a few tips for a tumbler?

I got one of the 5 pounders at Harbor Freight yesterday and have been trying it out with some Lizard Litter. I've seen lots of videos but there isn't a solid consensus of the run time and the number of cases per load. I put in a little under 3 pounds of litter and a pound or so of brass. I've run it about 6 hours and some of the cases are beautiful and some still (most of them actually) look pretty dirty on the inside still.

Is that too much media? and how many cases (9mm) can go at one time? Should I just leave for like 10-12 hours?

Thanks Guys

I put about 2/3's volume of corn cob media in my tumbler, have a larger one heads up, and can put about 500 9mm in there. I leave it on over night, change it out in the morning, then change it out before I go to bed. Keep repeating that cycle. about 12 or so hours each load. Brass comes out nice and perfect. Even takes off the gas markings of my MP5.

most any dry tumbler wont get older cases clean on the insides,..usually Probably would take a wet tumbler or the wet/SS Media folks claim it does the insides really clean  never noticed a difference performance wise as far a inside goes but like the outsides nice and shiny.

John

Guest Fruit jar

I put about 500 9mm brass in the tumbler. Pour the litter over it. When it starts to pile up I stop, shack it a bit and add somemore. Seems like the right blend of litter and brass it won't take long. To much litter, it takes longer. If the tumbler has a clear lid, or you have to remove the lid. You want to see a lot of brass rolling as it's running.

I put about 500 9mm brass in the tumbler. Pour the litter over it. When it starts to pile up I stop, shack it a bit and add somemore. Seems like the right blend of litter and brass it won't take long. To much litter, it takes longer. If the tumbler has a clear lid, or you have to remove the lid. You want to see a lot of brass rolling as it's running.

I did watch it with the lid off for a minute or two and the brass seem to sink to the bottom of the bowl immediately and never seems to roll around top. The media is churning very well though.

What's your start-up cost on that SS operation?

Got my Thumlers Tumbler from STM...Stainlesstumblingmedia. Tumbler & media (5#), was about

$250 including S/H. There will be about a 2-3 wk. wait. They're covered up like everyone else.

Great results. No comparison to vibrating tumblers. My old Frankford tumbler is not retired.

Still use the separator tho.
A bit pricey compared to the other, but the media doesn't have to be replaced, cleans the brass

inside & out incl. primner pocket & flash hole.

2 tbls of dishwash detergent + 1/4 tsp of Lemishine, gal of water, you're good to go.

Got my Thumlers Tumbler from STM...Stainlesstumblingmedia. Tumbler & media (5#), was about

$250 including S/H. There will be about a 2-3 wk. wait. They're covered up like everyone else.

Great results. No comparison to vibrating tumblers. My old Frankford tumbler is not retired.

Still use the separator tho.
A bit pricey compared to the other, but the media doesn't have to be replaced, cleans the brass

inside & out incl. primner pocket & flash hole.

2 tbls of dishwash detergent + 1/4 tsp of Lemishine, gal of water, you're good to go.

+1, what I did, but I caught the ss media on sale at Midway last month for ~$30 for 5 lbs. Love mine!  So I bought the tumbler from STM, took 10 days and was under $200 with shipping.

You've got some good advice here. Use just enough media to where the brass tumbles. Also, add some sort of polish, like Nu Finish car polish. The lizard litter works great for handgun cartridges, but it isn't sized right for 223 brass. It gets hung inside the cases, and takes forever to pick out.

Without polish, the media won't do much. Also, when it gets dirty, it won't polish near as quickly either.