Republican Governor takes over Detroit

it may be a cesspit, some republican intervention may revive or restore it but the liberal statist will never admit defeat, it will be the ceo's fault for leaving and if they can in 5-10yrs become fiscally solvent all you will hear about will be the social injustice that occurred as a result. just put up a wall & let em eat each other

Edited by zapfbroad
  • Like 2
Guest 6.8 AR

This is a story worth following. :rofl: It's a precursor to what the country should go through: controlled bankruptcy,

like JayC mentioned in another thread.

i saw a prius near percy warner with a bumper sticker on the back next to the commie 'coexist' that said "Progressives - Fixing Republican Messes Since 1913"  (Pres. Wilson)

I had bad thoughts.

Edited by zapfbroad
  • Like 1

i saw a prius near percy warner with a bumper sticker on the back next to the commie 'coexist' that said "Progressives - Fixing Republican Messes Since 1913"  (Pres. Wilson)

I had bad thoughts.

Yep, they sure fixed this country good the last 4 years. Can't wait to see how well it's fixed in 4 more.

I get a twisted enjoyment out of watching them squirm like that. No matter how bad the Democrats have screwed something up, the minute a Republican steps in they act like they're eating a baby. Won't even here someone out if there is a letter other than D in front of a name.

It's also somehow the Republicans fault in a community run by Democrats for 40 years? Explain that one to me.

• Like 1

Ok, this may ruffle some feathers but I mean no harm at all.

I lived in Detroit for a while in the recent years, meaning this is not an opinion on 20yr ago Detroit. The residents of Detroit don't really care if you are a Democrat or Republican. They care weather you are City or County. County being a White and City being Not White. Everytime you hear a resident or city council member talk about the troubles in Detroit it is ALWAYS because the meddling County is getting in the way. They are by no means talking about the area of the county, they are talking about the Color of the county. The state has tried to bail them out several times before but never forced the issue because the City Council ALWAYS stirred things up and turned it into a race issue.

Here is the issue in Detroit that will never allow Detroit to regrow into a major city in this country, Race.  There are not enough people moving into the city limits because the City Residents do everything they can to prevent the "County" to move in.  I remember a investment group trying to come in and buy up a City block to put in a huge townhome community, it was suppose to bring in over 3mill a year just in property tax. It was shot down by the City Council because there was too much uproar from the residents in the city limits. The other major thing that prevents people from moving into the city limits, is until 4 years ago there was NO place to buy groceries, the city council fought Meijer from coming into the city for over 15 years.

I have lived in several Major citys and have nver seen the resistance for help that Detroit City Council puts up.

This all being said I would move back to the Detroit area in a heartbeat. If you exclude the small % of area that is just destroyed, the Detroit area is a great place to live.

Edited by STAHDKnoxville
  • Moderators

Ok, this may ruffle some feathers but I mean no harm at all.

I lived in Detroit for a while in the recent years, meaning this is not an opinion on 20yr ago Detroit. The residents of Detroit don't really care if you are a Democrat or Republican. They care weather you are City or County. County being a White and City being Not White. Everytime you hear a resident or city council member talk about the troubles in Detroit it is ALWAYS because the meddling County is getting in the way. They are by no means talking about the area of the county, they are talking about the Color of the county. The state has tried to bail them out several times before but never forced the issue because the City Council ALWAYS stirred things up and turned it into a race issue.

Here is the issue in Detroit that will never allow Detroit to regrow into a major city in this country, Race.  There are not enough people moving into the city limits because the City Residents do everything they can to prevent the "County" to move in.  I remember a investment group trying to come in and buy up a City block to put in a huge townhome community, it was suppose to bring in over 3mill a year just in property tax. It was shot down by the City Council because there was too much uproar from the residents in the city limits. The other major thing that prevents people from moving into the city limits, is until 4 years ago there was NO place to buy groceries, the city council fought Meijer from coming into the city for over 15 years.

I have lived in several Major citys and have nver seen the resistance for help that Detroit City Council puts up.

This all being said I would move back to the Detroit area in a heartbeat. If you exclude the small % of area that is just destroyed, the Detroit area is a great place to live.

That sounds awfully familiar.

First order of business should be to fire the mayor and the entire city council.  

The mayor is not the issue. The City Council is the problem. The mayor has actually been fighting the city Council the whole time and is OK with the Emergancy Manager http://news.yahoo.com/mayor-detroit-emergency-manager-204828255.html

He was also all for the state taking over Belle Isle http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2013/02/detroit_mayor_dave_bing_says_h_1.html

Edited by STAHDKnoxville

Cites like this will not ever recover as long as the people that live "in" the city limits are on the government tit.

They see good change as bad, for it has jobs, and a way off the tit.

• Like 3

He Loves Detroit first and Foremost. The only reason this takeover did not happen earlier is because of him. He has put up his own money on projects that the City council would not approve. If I remember correctly he takes no salary, and tried to get the city council to sell him the Mayoral mansion so the city would no longer be responsible for the upkeep and staff. The City Council refused to sell it to him. He is a Liberal but he seems to actually care about the City First and Foremost

Cites like this will not ever recover as long as the people that live "in" the city limits are on the government tit.

They see good change as bad, for it has jobs, and a way off the tit.

as in a call to go to work instead of the trough? 

Prime example of the Council preventing money from the "county" is COBO convention center. It holds the North American Auto Show. THe show brings in $500mil to the area everyyear. COBO needs a serious overhaul, if they do not do it the Auto show orginizers said they will find a new location. There was a proposal that had COBO getting an overhaul and expansion at the hands of the taxpayers in the surrounding counties. The city would also not have to spend anymore city funds on that building, saving money in the cities budget. It was shot down and blocked by the Council because they did not want to give up power over the decisions that affect COBO.

Article is a little older but best explains the situation. http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/04/judge_sides_with_detroit_city.html