? about Glocks and reloads

My 17 has seen several hundred of my FMJ reloads with no problems at all. I will get an aftermarket barrel on of these days so I can start shooting lead though.

I thought that would ok, but wanted to make sure. Thanks for both replies.

I want to upgrade to the Wolf barrel also, but its gonna be a while. Still, even using FMJ will be cheaper than buying manufactured i think.

I thought that would ok, but wanted to make sure. Thanks for both replies.

I want to upgrade to the Wolf barrel also, but its gonna be a while. Still, even using FMJ will be cheaper than buying manufactured i think.

Yup, it's still cheaper if you can find the stinkin' primers. My most expensive FMJ's have been Sierra which were .20 each or so. 

In the end the choice is yours.   Soft lead has causes a few problems: what seems to happen is leading in the barrel builds up a blockage, and then a jacketed bullet is used without cleaning the gun, and the blockage is enough to over-pressure, which is very bad.   I used lead in my glock for a while, and had no trouble, but being aware of the issue I kept an eye on it and always deep cleaned the barrel afterwards, and the lead I was using was not super soft.   I have shot nearly 2k rounds of lead through my makarov, which has the same type of barrel as the glock, again with zero issues.  

So, basically, you *can* do it safely, but you need to keep a weather eye on the gun, clean it often, and never follow lead reloads with jacketed rounds without an inspection between.   That is probably good advice for any type of gun, but it is extremely important for poly barrels.

It is up to you.  There IS a risk, so I am not recommending you use lead at all, but IMHO if you wanted to, you could do so safely. 

• Like 1

Lead is not a worry, I shoot it as well, I load a jacketed round in the mag first, then top it off with lead.

The jacketed round clears the barrel.

The worry is the "Glock smile" in your cases, look for it, google has all kinds of info about it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=glock+smile&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=MbM&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ZRc6UYqoEYjm8QTU4oEY&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=638

I don't like shooting just any reloads and normally just shoot my own . There is normally more to it than the fact that it was a reload. I figure if I make a mistake , I have no one to blame but me. Could have been a double charge or several other things. Quality control is probably at fault , but that is just a guess.

I hear the big one to look out for is the support on the 40 S&W Glocks( smile ) . I did buy a Lone Wolf barrel for my G 20 because I wanted the extended , ported barrel . I also bought a conversion barrel for my 30 so I can shoot 10 mm in it so I have the 10 mm covered. I plan on buying some other conversion barrels when the reloading supplies are back on the shelf.

Any one seen a glock blown up with reloads ? I have not a pretty site !!!!!!!!

What is the story on this double load? Lead bullets? Bad brass? Has to be something wrong with the reload to do that. I would send it back to glock. May be surprised.

Jason

Gun was sent back to glock with case still in barrel. Glock says ammo was at fault and they would not repair. I have now sent it back to glock for evaluation and waiting for a response on what repair will cost. Waiting to see how good customer service is . Have been told that it is the best and the rep i have spoken was very understanding of the problem. we'll see

I understand from reading some articles that lead bullets are dangerous in these guns because of lead fouling. What if you use jacketed bullets?

I understand that many folks use lead bullets in Glocks, and that's a choice they're comfortable with. My personal preference is not to take that risk.

I use a Lone Wolf barrel in my 17 and really like that sucker for lead bullets.

I have loaded and shot more than 10,000 Berry's plated bullets through my Glock 19 with not a worry. Berry's has info on Glocks at their website IIRC.

[url=http://www.berrysmfg.com/default.aspx?n=454414]Berry's Bullets[/url].

I've posted [url=http://www.humanevents.com/2010/06/08/barrels-and-bullets-conventional-versus-polygonal-rifling/] this link[/url] regarding polygonal rifling vs conventional in a previous thread.

You might find the info helpful. I hope so. But to each their own. 

Happy shooting. :pleased:

Edited by prag
From looking at the damaged areas of that 19 it looks as if that was a seperated case from stressed brass. Nothing to do with lead.
We have seen as many cases of factory ammo failing lately as we have seen reloads failing. I feel my reloads have better QC on my single stage press than some guy worried about getting off work running a progressive press in a factory.

From looking at the damaged areas of that 19 it looks as if that was a seperated case from stressed brass. Nothing to do with lead.
We have seen as many cases of factory ammo failing lately as we have seen reloads failing. I feel my reloads have better QC on my single stage press than some guy worried about getting off work running a progressive press in a factory.

The "Glock smile".